News:

• May 23, 2024, 11:40:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox .59???  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Fox .59???
« on: December 11, 2006, 01:36:09 PM »
Am trying to find out information about a Fox .59 ringed engine purchased in the 70's for a R/C friend who whishes to build a controline plane that it will fly.
Any info as to what power it may compare to with more modern engines. Is it woth reviving for use, it is almost brand new, broke in when new, preserved  well.
Jerry Bohn

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
Re: Fox .59???
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 06:12:39 PM »
 The Fox.59 is a strong , if loud stunt engine. I've seen them in Stuntwagons, Veco Chiefs, Super Zilches etc. You can get plans for the Blue Angel, almost won the Nats with a .59.

Walter y1
walter menges

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 06:59:04 PM »
Right now my 59 is in a Viking turning a 13-4 wide blade APC prop. Flys it well. I have had it on my 850 square  inch Taurus, which weighs 70 oz. Flew it well with a 12-6 or 13-6 prop. They run just like a big Fox 35. Very cool, and very loud.
Jim Kraft

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 08:37:16 AM »
I just found out my friends Fox .59 is a R/C version.
Were the planes mentioned in the replies so far using an R/C modified engine or was a C/L version also sold at that time. Would a conversion of the R/C engine be a good idea or worth it for sport flying?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 11:59:26 AM by Jerry Bohn »
Jerry Bohn

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 06:22:13 PM »
Jerry; Their were a lot of the 59's sold as controline engines. The one I have is controline and has a lapped piston. Most of the R/C engines that I have seen were ringed, but either one works well for C/L. The ringed ones seem to run a little smoother than the lapped ones. Lighter piston. I believe if it was mine, I would just wire the throttle to the position it runs best and fly it that way. If I remember right, the carb on the R/C version was kind of built in to the ventura, and would take some work to modify, but could be done.
Jim Kraft

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 03:39:18 AM »
Fox .59's are worth a lot more on the auction block than they ever were on an airplane.

I got a virgin .59 RC are part of a bulk buy.  I sold it to a local collector for enough to buy a modern engine....  A good deal..... Pre-EBAY.

Probably an easy $300 on today's market. 
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 11:05:26 AM »
I just found out my friends Fox .59 is a R/C version.
Were the planes mentioned in the replies so far using an R/C modified engine or was a C/L version also sold at that time. Would a conversion of the R/C engine be a good idea or worth it for sport flying?

Hi Jerry,

AFAIK, the timing is identical on the R/C vs. C/L versions.  Putting a proper size restrictor in the R/C engine would be the only thing I would do.  I do reemember something about some engines being ringed (as mentioned above) but that isn't a problem, actually I believe it is a good thing!  Just means that I could get Frank Bowman to do a quick rebuild if it got a *little* weak.  ;D

Of course, it isn't a "modern" .60 size engine, but Larry S., and others, sure had good airplanes with a Fox 59 in them.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here