News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:08:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox .40 ABC /BB Delux..  (Read 42496 times)

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
Fox .40 ABC /BB Delux..
« on: April 27, 2014, 02:38:05 PM »
Just wondering if anyone have success using the Fox .40 delux (ABC /dual ball bearing) for stunt?  or without having to get it reworked /retimed etc?   On the bench run.. it likes to rev up to 11-12K with a rich setting (10x6 prop).    

http://www.foxmanufacturing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=157&products_id=275&zenid=155e75bda3f1e558ac75e768444ad027

Thanks in advance.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Fox .40 ABC /BB Delux..
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 03:02:53 PM »
Hi Joe,

That is the version Lew Woolard uses to make his Silver Foxx .40.  I believe that in stock trim it will need to run in a wet 2, not a 4-2.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline James C. Martin

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:05:53 PM »
I have been flying an Sterling Skylark with a fox 40 that started as an rc version had a friend make me a venturi for it and used a fox needle valve and spray bar as long as I set it up just rich enough it runs very well on 10% nitro with an 11-6 prop a little to lean and it feels like its going to pull my arm off am currently assembling an old ringmaster imperial trying to decide weather to use a fox 40 or one of several os max 46 fx or la engines on it

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 07:27:35 PM »
I have 2.  I have never been happy with the engine runs.  It seems that there is very little adjustment in the RPM range they run.  That can, of course, be adjusted by using different props.  As a challenge, I worked to get one of the engines to run a stunt pattern well.  I don't recall the RPM but I know I had to be very selective with the prop to get the engine run and corresponding lap speed I wanted given the limited needle adjustment available.

When all is said and done, in my mind you pay a weight penalty (the Fox .40's are heavy for the displacement) to get a .40 size motor who's setup is fussy.  Mine are stock and remain so as it did not make sense to me to spend additional money to get them "tweaked" by Lew Woolard.  I am sure he does a great job and they would run well but, the engine would remain a heavy .40 size motor.  So I bought a couple of LA .46's that cost quite a bit less, weigh less and run well.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do with the engines.
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 08:22:09 PM »
I have been flying an Sterling Skylark with a fox 40 that started as an rc version had a friend make me a venturi for it and used a fox needle valve and spray bar as long as I set it up just rich enough it runs very well on 10% nitro with an 11-6 prop a little to lean and it feels like its going to pull my arm off am currently assembling an old ringmaster imperial trying to decide weather to use a fox 40 or one of several os max 46 fx or la engines on it

Hi James,

I would definitely go with a .46LA given the engines you mentioned for the Ringmaster Imperial.  The .46LA is lighter than the .40LA, has more usable power, and runs great right out of the box for stunt.  Probably the easiest to use mass produced engine available for stunt, and the lowest cost of those you mention.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jim z

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 12:08:37 AM »
Hi Joe,
  I have several of the Fox 40 abc engines as well as the steel piston and cylinder versions of that engine.  I was out flying today with a couple
of friends and they couldn't believe it was a Fox 40 .  I agree that in stock mode they like to run in a fast 2 cycle...heres a couple of changes that
I've made that calmed the engine down..First was , I changed out the needle valve assembly to a st. style that I got from Eric Rule at RSM.  I next purchased a new Fox 40 stunt head button from Fox.  These were standard on the Fox 40 stunt engine that was available a couple of years back with the Lew Woolard stunt  mods already done to the cylinder liner.   I'm running 71/2 % nitro   11% castor and 11% syn.   RSM  Uniflow tank 4oz.  a Zinger 10X6 etra wide blade prop, and a Fox gold r/c long plug.  I should also mention I am using a Big Art tube muffler which are now being sold by Brodak's, stock muffler is to restrictive .
  This setup was used on a Brodak Mustang today.  This same engine was also used on a Brodak ARf Cardinal .
These engines can also be run stock which I  have done but you must use a flatter pitch prop ... in a 2-2-2 type run.
   So basically for the cost of the stunt head button, $12 bucks and switching out the nva,  I've got the engine to run in the more
traditional 4-2-4 stunt run which I prefer.   

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 12:35:59 PM »
Thanks all for the replies..  H^^

I gather that it could work nicely for stunt..  with wet-2 run setup out of the box.  I assumed an apc 11x4 or maybe the 12.25x3.75 (cut down to 11.25 etc) might work?  and use the button head from the .40 Stunt (if available) would be a good upgrade for 4-2 run, along with the ST nva.  will have to look into it..  :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:02:51 PM by Joe Yau »

Offline Jim z

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 02:24:48 AM »
I just wanted to address the weight issue that someone mentioned about the Fox 40.
My Fox 40 abc /bb delux.. set up with a   Big Art tube muffler ,
zinger xtra wide blade 10x6 prop,  fox spinner nut,  weighs in at 11.8 0zs,  and
this engine is a double ball bearing true chrome set up.   

My Os fp 40 with a Big Art tube muffler , same weight as the Fox version, same Zinger
xtra wide 10x6 prop and Fox spinner nut weighs in at 11.4 ozs,  and this is a plain bearing
engine...so the difference being  4 tenths of an oz.  less than the Fox ,  but remember that
the Fox 40 is a double ball bearing engine and true chromed sleeve.

So if we were to add two ball bearing to the Os Fp 40 we would be looking at roughly the
xact same weight.
Both the Os and Fox  want to run the same way out of the box,  in a fast 2-2-2 style.
With a few simple mods that I've done to the Fox 40 Deluxe I get a powerful and smooth
engine and a 4-2-4  stunt run..

Online Onelife

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2024, 12:15:53 PM »
Just wondering if anyone have success using the Fox .40 delux (ABC /dual ball bearing) for stunt?  or without having to get it reworked /retimed etc?   On the bench run.. it likes to rev up to 11-12K with a rich setting (10x6 prop).     

http://www.foxmanufacturing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=157&products_id=275&zenid=155e75bda3f1e558ac75e768444ad027

I’m having problems with the like could you please repost or show picture of the style 40 Lew used ?
Thanks in advance.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2024, 12:36:33 PM »

The Silver Foxx .40's I have are all the ones with the squire intake and the tall back plate. Some refer to the back plate as the coffin style back plate. I don't know if Lew ever did any of the older Fox .40's or not. He helped with an article on how to retime the engine that was in StuntNews many years ago. You might find it posted in the forums some where as this has been discussed many times.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2024, 06:19:42 PM »
Stock Fox 40 (coffin style case) are strong running engines. 

In the days of yore, early 1990s, Tom Dixon did rework service that tamed them nicely.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here