News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:20:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 35x  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Keith Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Fox 35x
« on: November 17, 2023, 11:50:59 AM »
This Fox 35 came to me from a friend. It's a 35, and I'm guessing it's some variant before the Fox 36 combat special. The stamp on the side of the case is simply "35".
I'm in the processes of the usual ethylene glycol soak and cleanup and notice that the crankshaft moves quite a bit forward.
The shaft extends about 3mm beyond the face of the bearing case.

Any input or comments on this?

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Fox 35x
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 04:31:36 AM »
               Keith, there was a .35 X Blue ribbon special. Essentially the engine came with dual needle bearings front and rear. I can't exactly see the nose of your engine. The .35X afterwards came equipped with a single rear needle and bushed front. The later .35X also came with gussets in the case bottom to the shaft area and the front lugs of the engine mounts also had triangulated gussets. The Blue Ribbon offering was fairly short lived.  I'm pretty confident your engine is the Blue Ribbon engine. The engine was offered at a special price to entice buyers.

Just to add, I don't believe the backplate was equipped with a pressure nipple.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 07:04:55 AM »
Keith,
I have one of those and the end play is how they came. One thing that i have done on the Fox Stunt 35 is to add a thrust shim from the OS 40FP behind the drive washer to reduce the end play. The shaft on the 35X is a little larger so you might need to look for different washers that will fit over the shaft. Reducing the end play will stop the crankpin from scraping the backplate. Once you have the correct washer I would change the backplate gasket to a very thin one to minimize the conrod from moving back  and causing uneven wear.

Best,   Dennist

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 06:00:57 PM »
               Keith, there was a .35 X Blue ribbon special. Essentially the engine came with dual needle bearings front and rear. I can't exactly see the nose of your engine. The .35X afterwards came equipped with a single rear needle and bushed front. The later .35X also came with gussets in the case bottom to the shaft area and the front lugs of the engine mounts also had triangulated gussets. The Blue Ribbon offering was fairly short lived.  I'm pretty confident your engine is the Blue Ribbon engine. The engine was offered at a special price to entice buyers.

Just to add, I don't believe the backplate was equipped with a pressure nipple.

Thank you sir!

Offline Keith Miller

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2023, 06:01:18 PM »
Keith,
I have one of those and the end play is how they came. One thing that i have done on the Fox Stunt 35 is to add a thrust shim from the OS 40FP behind the drive washer to reduce the end play. The shaft on the 35X is a little larger so you might need to look for different washers that will fit over the shaft. Reducing the end play will stop the crankpin from scraping the backplate. Once you have the correct washer I would change the backplate gasket to a very thin one to minimize the conrod from moving back  and causing uneven wear.

Best,   Dennist

Excellent info - thanks!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here