News:

• April 30, 2024, 07:03:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox .35 upgrade questions  (Read 999 times)

Offline Ken Deboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Silk and Dope
Fox .35 upgrade questions
« on: July 21, 2006, 05:34:05 PM »
I have a 35 Stunt I'd like to upgrade with Hi Zoot crank, stuffer backplate, and hemi head but have some questions:

Is the HZ crank "drop in" or does it or the case need some prep work?

How many (if any) head shims should I start with?

Is shopping bag paper OK to use for the backplate gasket?

Is there anything about the Fox 35 that could use some attention while I have it apart?

Thanks,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Fox .35 upgrade questions
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 11:09:53 PM »
Hi Ken

The  HZ crank is as much a  drop in as  any  FOX crank, some cases are  tight  some are  loose  , lapping one in is very little problem if its  needed.
You can use a card  to cut a gasket if you like

Randy

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 11:42:39 PM »
Send your components to Larry Foster for assembly. His charges are reasonable and the service is quick and good. I have two Foxes set up by Larry exactly as you propose. The Smith/Nelson ctrankshaft is worth all the other mods combined. Who says a Fox has to shake? ? ?
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 06:43:58 PM »
Just an add in here,  the Fox 35ABC piston/liner set is a pretty good upgrade for a good running Fox.  It gets rid of the vibration problems nicely and looks like it will hold up for quite a long time.

If you are taking the motor apart probably the biggest thing to check is that the liner seats evenly on the top of the case.  Without tools the only way to check is to put a bit of lapping compound under the sleeve lip and twist the sleeve around a few times.  Take the sleeve out and clean up the mating surfaces and look for an even gray color all around on the top of the case where the sleeve sits and on the bottom of the lip on the liner.  If you see a few slight high or low spots they can be lapped out.  Worst case is when one side of the sleeve or case is untouched.  That means either the case or the sleeve lip is machined crooked.  At that point, especially if it was a new engine, I'd put it back together and send it back to Fox for a better sleeve/case.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here