News:

• May 01, 2024, 09:03:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox .35 stunt mufflers  (Read 2732 times)

Offline charlie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Fox .35 stunt mufflers
« on: April 15, 2006, 07:41:52 PM »
While I am getting all my problems aired, here is another for the panel of experts.  I have a 40th anniversary Fox stunt .35 that has had 1/2 to an hour on the bench.  It has a Fox supplied ABC P/L set and it feels good when turned over.  I fitted it into a vintage design where the motor is totally out in the breeze (no cowling).  It will hold a 424 setting in flight if open faced but if I fit the supplied muffler, it quickly goes into thermal runaway, no matter how rich I set it on the ground.

Is this a problem that can be cured?  Due to noise issues and a new flying site, I would prefer to use the muffler if possible especially since the plane could use a little nose weight anyhow.

Charlie Stone  (The West Australian one)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Fox .35 stunt mufflers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 08:06:20 PM »
My L&J Fox 35 dirrections from Larry Foster say use a good tongue muffler with plenty of exhaust exit such as RSM or Aero Products(Randy Smith).
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 09:18:00 PM »
The OS 35/40 FP muffler will also fit the 40th anniversary Fox 35.  I think the OS muffler is more restrictive however.   The Fox muffler is not only heavy, its ugly, muffles poorly, and doesn't fit anything all that well.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 10:40:03 AM »
I guess that you may still need some more breakin. Not only are you fitting the piston-cylinder fit, which admittedly should go faster on an ABC setup, but also the crankshaft fit to the plain bearings. It sounds like the backpressure from the muffler is putting it over the edge.
Also I assume you are still using a Fox35 fuel, with ~>25% castor.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 11:27:34 AM »
I agree with Alan.  Sounds like it still needs time for fitting in. 
I have never used a Stock Fox muffler, only aftermarket ones.
The oil content is also critical on a Fox 35.  Larry Foster recommends no less than 28% castor and 15% nitro.  Higher nitro actually helps to cool the Fox 35.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline charlie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 05:06:14 PM »
The oil content is 28% all castor, but only 7 1/2% nitro.  Admittedly it is commercial stuff, so not having mixed it myself I have to believe the label on the can.  I will go back to mixing my own for the time being.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 06:42:11 PM »
Magnum XL .25, .28, XL or XLS .32 and .36 also fit. Not as big (or effective) as OS mufflers, nor as heavy, but pretty useful. ASP's are the same engines, and may be more available in Oz.  8) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 09:12:47 PM »
I have a RO-jett 40 stunt muffler on my fox 35. Bolts right on.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 05:40:04 PM »
You can bore out the exhaust hole in the stock muffler, or drill 3/32 in. holes around it.  the stock muffler isn't much more than a restrictor and doesn't muffle all that well.  With enough additional holes the back pressure will go down to where it will run and not overheat.  Additional noise will be minimal.

How big a prop?  You might have better luck initially with a 9/5 to reduce the load on the motor.  It still should fly most old timers just fine.

Also take a close look at the fit of the front bearing.  It may be a touch too tight.  I had one 40th that never, in about 50 runs, ever break into a 2 cycle.  It would start nice in a 4, fly fine as long as it stayed in a very fat 4, if it ever leaned out is would just start sounding funny and quit.  the only thing I could ever see was that the main bearing was too tight.  Maybe someday I'll fix it.
phil Cartier

Offline charlie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 06:02:16 PM »
Thanks Phil,  I haven't checked how tight the shaft is, but there is some fuel leakage from around the front of the shaft, so I don't think that it is too tight.  I was using a 10 x 5 initially.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 04:34:54 PM »
Charlie,

I'm curious... You started off by describing your engine as fitted with the factory ABC P/L. Seems most of the responses ignored that. I hope the Fox factory instructions take account of the different oil needs for ABC top ends...

The main bearing is not the reason Fox 35s traditionally need ~28%+ castor: the leaded steel sleeve and Meehanite cast iron piston pair is.

Conclusion? You could certainly get by with a 10%nitro/22%castor/3%synthetic fuel, and possibly with the universal modern ABC/AAC/ABN juice: 10%nitro/11%each castor & synthetic.

Castor delays the break-in of a well-made "ABC" type P/L. The working bits need to reach designed temperatures to expand to the optimum running fit. Castor carries away heat, as it (usually) won't burn at our running temperatures.

Castor also tries to deposit scorched oil on the piston, at least. Again, this is counter to the intention of the "ABC" top end. CLEAN surfaces, running at proper temps, is what they are intended for.

Now, I haven't run a factory fitted ABC Fox 35, so it may be worthwhile to see if this idea has been tried, and if so, how well it worked. I have heard good about the Fox 35 ABC - lower vibration, particularly.

\BEST\LOU

Offline charlie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 09:41:34 PM »
Thanks for the comment Lou,  I have been using the standard Fox classic 28% castor fuel so far.  As to the instructions that came with the factory P/L - Zip.  There weren't any fitting instructions at all.  I can't see it doing any harm to try a more modern brew - as you say the P/L should stand up to it OK.  I will try it next time out to see if there is any difference.  The engine runs quite smoothly without much vibration.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here