News:

• May 02, 2024, 06:12:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 35 Rework Suppliers  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Peter Anglberger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Fox 35 Rework Suppliers
« on: September 18, 2006, 09:24:05 PM »
I have a Gieseke Nobler that is a delight to fly with a low time stock 50th Anniversary Fox 35.

However I'm getting tired of the standard Fox 35 idiosycrasies:

1. Vibration, the front of the fuselage around the engine comp. is    starting to crack after     only 50 or so flights.
2. Noise / exhaust note is loud / sounds horrible to me and probably
the judges. The stock factory muffler is no better than the tongue muffler I tried.
3. Junk stock needle valve.
4. Having to run 'special' ie 29% oil and then wipe it all off the model after each flight.

I rather not replace with a different motor as the balance and trim
with the stock Fox are spot on, and I don't really want to perform nose surgery to get a different motor to fit.

I am toying with the idea of upgrading the motor and am considering the following mods:

1. Replace stock needle valve
2. Hemi head
3. Balanced or  Hi Zoot (what exactly doe this mean)Crank shaft.
4. Stuffer backplate
5. ABC Piston / liner assy.

I've tried a search on SSCL forum  but didn't really find posts with the info I need.

Can you folk out there let me know who the Fox aftermarket suppliers / reworkers are and their e-mail addresses so I can get in contact and ask the detailed questions first hand. I'm in Australiaso is there any one Downunder doing this work now that Robin Hiernhas closed up shop.

If not, I'm happy to send the motor to the US toSilver Fox (Lou Woolard?) or another appropriate reworker.

Thanks,
            Peter

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
Re: Fox 35 Rework Suppliers
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 09:48:12 PM »
I recently sent a 35 Stunt to Larry Foster for rework and am very happy with the results. Among other things for only $30, mounting lugs squared, venturi cleaned up, head and back plate scews replaced with hex head screws, disassembled, fit of internal parts checked, reassembled with new crank, stuffer backplate, and hemi head (I supplied parts which I had already purchased from Aeroproducts). I think he charges $40 if he has to rework the stock crank.  Any parts you don't have he can supply at a very reasonable price as well, as can Randy Smith at Aeroproducts.

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 09:52:53 PM »
You can get the hemi head, stuffer backplate, and ABC assembly from Fox.  The most important simple mod is the stuffer backplate.  It keeps the rod on the crankpin and prevents premature wearout.  The ABC assembly works well and takes care of vibration as well as anything.  The hemi head is supposed to increase 4 stroke horsepower.  The Fox version may not be the absolute best, but works.  Randy Smith's hi zoot crankshaft also helps vibration and is stornger.  Kind of overkill with an ABC assembly.
phil Cartier

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 11:31:10 PM »
 I don't know if Fox makes the ABC setup any more, but I have a Fox
.35 done by Randy, that when I got it , it squeeked when I turn it over.
Randy said that this is how he sets up his own .35's. Broke it in for almost an hour, on 28%, with 4% being syn. Really nice engine. Should add it's not an ABC set up, but stock P&L

Walter
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 06:50:50 PM by wmiii »
walter menges

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 03:25:48 PM »
Gotta out in a plug for the 'Silver Foxx', Lew Woolard from Wichita...   He makes a very stout running Fox 35...   I'm very happy with several he has done for me.   :) :)
Jim

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here