News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:42:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FOX 35 ABC upgrade question  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Phil Coopy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
FOX 35 ABC upgrade question
« on: July 29, 2006, 06:15:20 PM »
If you upgrade to an ABC piston/liner setup do you still use the 29% lube mix?

Phil C

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
Re: FOX 35 ABC upgrade question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 08:06:56 PM »
Good question, I'm not sure if 29% is needed, but remember you have
an unbushed rod and a plain bearing engine.

Walter
walter menges

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 11:03:27 PM »
Good question, I'm not sure if 29% is needed, but remember you have
an unbushed rod and a plain bearing engine.

I don't know for sure, either, but I would be very surprised if synthetic didn't to a better job of lubrication of the "cold" parts than castor.

Another question that I don't know the answer to is, is it still a 35?  The stock liner is *awfully* thin-walled and I would be a little surprised if you could make a brass one the same dimensions without it getting distorted.

Brett

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 11:26:15 AM »
 Brett, I think somebody measured one and it turn out to be either a .30 or .31 . The brass sleeve was thicker.

Walter
walter menges

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 11:37:10 AM »
        Another question that I don't know the answer to is, is it still a 35?  The stock liner is *awfully* thin-walled and I would be a little surprised if you could make a brass one the same dimensions without it getting distorted.

Brett

Another liner that is *awfully* thin-walled is the Ro-Jett 65 Liner, but it works fine for me and a lot of other people.

I had a Fox 36 mk5 that was worn out, and bored and honed the liner to fit a Fox compact 40 piston.  I could feel the stone rotating inside the liner when I was honing it.  When it was finished it had a very thin liner !

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 01:14:32 PM »
   I don't know for sure, either, but I would be very surprised if synthetic didn't to a better job of lubrication of the "cold" parts than castor.

Brett

HI Brett

Yes  with FOX  ABC parts  it is  still a  35, and the  FOX 35 head  will still fit, along with my hemi head design . however  with some of the  aftermarket parts , it is closer to a  30, these  are  thicker sleeve parts, and they send you a  new  smaller  head.
Also  yes  I have  found that part Synth. part castor in 28%  work better  not only in  ABC Foxes  but  also in the standard FOX 35. I have one  here  that I bought in 1971, It is still in good  shape  after  100s  of  runs, even in the  heat of  Lake Charles NATs.  It has  only run on  75-25 castor Synth blend 28%

Randy

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 01:45:44 PM »
HI Brett

Yes  with FOX  ABC parts  it is  still a  35, and the  FOX 35 head  will still fit, along with my hemi head design . however  with some of the  aftermarket parts , it is closer to a  30, these  are  thicker sleeve parts, and they send you a  new  smaller  head.

Wow, that must take some pretty careful handling to keep the sleeve from getting distorted.  Thanks.

Brett

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 02:46:09 PM »
The aftermarket must be what I was thinking of.

Walter
walter menges

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 09:09:54 PM »
    Wow, that must take some pretty careful handling to keep the sleeve from getting distorted.  Thanks.

Brett

You can  push the  sleeve in a  steel holder  while you hone  the sleeve, helps  keep things  round.....then again  it is going in a Fox  35  case?????

Randy

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 01:42:56 PM »
I've had good luck using standard Fox 35 fuel(28-29% oil) that I've never tried anything less.  It's still a Fox 35.  I think the extra oil is still needed for cooling and to get the proper balance of 4-2 stroking.
phil Cartier

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 12:34:09 PM »
I would stay with at least 25% total oil, and 28 to 29% preferred. I ran an ABC Fox on 22% half and half castor synth., for a while, and the wrist pin bosses wore out pretty quick. This was one of the earliest ones, so don't know if they have been improved or not. Not much bearing surface for the wristpin in the aluminum piston. They sure do run nice on profiles with that setup though.
Jim Kraft

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here