News:

• April 26, 2024, 07:29:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 35 50th anniversery case smaller diameter crankshaft?  (Read 2144 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fox 35 50th anniversery case smaller diameter crankshaft?
« on: August 20, 2019, 08:09:39 PM »
Guys,
I have just started to set up a Fox 35 in a new 50th anniversary case and the standard crankshaft doesn't fit? It seems the older 40th anniversary case has a larger diameter crank by about 0.006". Is this just this case or was there a change for the 50th case?

Best,    DennisT

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Fox 35 50th anniversery case smaller diameter crankshaft?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 09:05:46 AM »
Guys,
I have just started to set up a Fox 35 in a new 50th anniversary case and the standard crankshaft doesn't fit? It seems the older 40th anniversary case has a larger diameter crank by about 0.006". Is this just this case or was there a change for the 50th case?

Best,    DennisT

That is typical with the  FOX 35, I have seen that many times , I have also sw this the other way

Randy

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 01:11:12 PM »
Randy,
Besides sending it to MM is there a simple way to get this to the proper size?

Best,   DennisT

Online GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 02:49:47 PM »
Hello We are spoilt these days with CNC made engine parts back in the day when engines were 'hand' made and fitted many parts did not interchange on a lot of different manufactures engines and I think Cox were famous for how parts even pistons would swap between motors. I particularly remember this with the Davis Charlton diesels were parts would not fit without reaming, lapping or machining and you were always swapping out rods and cranks after frequent breakages.
Regards Gerald

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 03:44:28 PM »
Randy,
Besides sending it to MM is there a simple way to get this to the proper size?

Best,   DennisT

If it is a tiny amount  you can lap it, if it is a couple of ten thousands  it really needs to be  reamed, They make adjustable reamers, That is what I use,  so  without seeing it I would say send it off to be  fitted

Randy

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 05:30:07 PM »
I measured the new case at 0.429" and another case that the shaft fit nicely at 0.433". I have a few of these so I think I should just pick up an appropriate ream. What is the brand and make of the reamer that I need to get? I have Grainger, Harbor Freight nearby that I could pick one up at. When I looked on line it looks like Grainger has one that is a hand adjustable reamers 13/32" with max size of 7/16" which covers the size range. Is this a good one?

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 05:58:50 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 09:38:03 PM »
   Of course they can make a very precise hole. It all depends on the nut on the handle! You can screw up a perfectly good hole with a hone also. You can ream it close, and then lap to a final clearance and fit. For a Fox, being just a tad sloppy is sometimes desirable for some people. I would measure the bushing and then the crank, and see which is closer to the OEM spec, and then work the other for the fit you want. Then you have a chance of these parts fitting something else if need be, or other parts fitting this engine. It may be "just a Fox, but even after all these years, they aren't making them any more.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:09:07 PM »
Ah yes, the notion that a reamer can make a very precise hole. I hear this every now and then.

There you go, Randy.

Oy gevalt...

Brett

Online GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 05:03:35 AM »
Hello

This also reminds me of an E.D Miles Special my brother brought new from England in the 1990's at great cost .  It had a reverse tapper bore  :o  yes tight at the bottom of the stroke and loose at the top and generally rough machining work all over... something went wrong there, not at all like the original ED engines that were generally well made   ??? He also got a new Irvine 40 Diesel that went clunk when you attempted to turn it over and only had about 270 degrees movement of the shaft before something hit, don't know why it left the factory like that? At least this was brought locally and was easily exchanged for a good engine.

Regards Gerald

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 10:57:43 AM »
Ah yes, the notion that a reamer can make a very precise hole. I hear this every now and then.

I have a good quality adjustable  reamer, that i have used on many engines, among them FOX 35s, and McCoys, some have been rebushed
I have had  zero problems making a round straight precise  hole, That does not mean that someone  could not screw up a busing with a reamer, but it is far better than using some other means, Stay away from drill bits, and  you need  to get it close before  it could be  lapped
you also have to be very careful  setting  the  reamer

Randy

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 01:29:57 PM »
Randy,
What is a good brand and type for the ream? I know this has to be done carefully and if it gets messed up it is the guy setting up/ turning the ream and not the tool.

Best,   DennisT

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 04:03:51 PM »
Randy,
What is a good brand and type for the ream? I know this has to be done carefully and if it gets messed up it is the guy setting up/ turning the ream and not the tool.

Best,   DennisT

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/02239002 
the above  should  be  what you need,  FOX used a  7/16 reamer for the bushing, Set this one at the minimum and it should cut to .4375
check to see  if that is  opened enough, then  adjust from there
If yours is  smaller  as  stated  then  get the next size down,  I just measure  2 FOX cranks  at  4375 ???  so we have differant cranks
I will post the smaller one  too

below is the  smaller one that will  fit your  size  case bushing

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/02230993
Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 04:22:32 PM »
Dennis

I just measured  6 FOX 35 Cranks  that are  all new, and from different decades  The went from small of .4365   to  .4375
I measure a couple of NEW fox 35  Cases  they are from 437 to 438
I do not  know  where  you got a  433  one??  that  seem  very small
maybe recheck again

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 04:25:06 PM »
Guys,

Best,    DennisT

I have an undamaged  NEW  40th case  here  that  is  .436 measured top to bottom on the  bushing,  and  .4375  when measuring from  side to side, so it is a slightly oblong distorted  bore

Randy

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 06:31:22 AM »
Randy,
I checked again and still got 0.433 - 0.434" on the case bearing. I check  two other cases that has had a crankshaft in it and they are same as yours 0.435 - 0.436". Thanks for the information on the ream, they are similar to the Grainger - Adjustable Blade Hand Reamer, Fractional Inch, 13/32", 7/16", High Speed Steel, Item # 4LGR5 Mfr. Model # 4LGR5 Catalog Page # 2257 UNSPSC # 23171610 $20.19 for the smaller size.

Best,    DennisT

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 08:44:30 AM »
Randy,
I checked again and still got 0.433 - 0.434" on the case bearing. I check  two other cases that has had a crankshaft in it and they are same as yours 0.435 - 0.436". Thanks for the information on the ream, they are similar to the Grainger - Adjustable Blade Hand Reamer, Fractional Inch, 13/32", 7/16", High Speed Steel, Item # 4LGR5 Mfr. Model # 4LGR5 Catalog Page # 2257 UNSPSC # 23171610 $20.19 for the smaller size.

Best,    DennisT

Hi Dennis

That should  work for  you , let us know  how  it comes out

Randy

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 10:24:36 AM »
Guys,
OK got the Grainger - Adjustable Blade Hand Reamer (Fractional Inch, 13/32", 7/16", High Speed Steel, Item # 4LGR5). I had an old case that I used as a test fit. Once I got an understanding of how to adjust the size (on this ream moving the cutters down increase the diameter) I started slowly increasing the diameter (moving down about 1/8 turn of the collars) and test fitting a crankshaft. For my ream in seemed that turning it counterclockwise was smooth and that's the way I did it. I did use some airtool oil as a cutting fluid (on line they indicated that cutting oil used for steel is not suitable for softer metals like bronze/brass/aluminum). As it got close the front started to fit and I needed to work on the back. It seemed the venturi hole area was a little tighter so I slowly worked from the back side and got it so the shaft just slipped in a little snug. Once the shaft was in (with a little oil) I put on a prop and spun it a bit and it spins very smooth. I think a little break-in and we should be good to go.

Thanks for the help and guidance from the group.

Best,    DennisT

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 02:01:50 PM by Dennis Toth »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here