News:

• April 26, 2024, 07:55:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox .29 Stunt, is this a keeper?  (Read 631 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fox .29 Stunt, is this a keeper?
« on: January 27, 2019, 01:43:54 PM »
        Hi Foliks:

While weeding out my engine drawer, I came across a 1953 Fox .29 Stunt.  This engine has the best P&c fit of any engine that I have encountered.  It will hold compression for a very long time and has a very snappy flip when turned over by hand.  It will hurt your fringer if the blade strikes the finger!!!! I have lerned that the only way to start it safely, is to use a chicken strick and back flip it.  It acts like
fox CS in great nick! On flip always cold or hot.

Question! Should I keep this engine to replace my less cooperative Fox .35 Stunt engines to power an OTS plane.  There is about 600 rpm difference between the .29 and the .35 Stunts.  None of my Sstunt .35 engines are as tight and easy to start as this engine!  I am not a Fox fanatic so you can not hurt my feelings. Lol

Comments/suggestions

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fox .29 Stunt, is this a keeper?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 04:14:06 PM »
      Hell no you shouldn't keep that puny thing!  You need to box it up immediately and send it to me as soon as possible so you are not tempted to put it in anything and use it!
      Seriously, you should carefully bench run it and make sure it's broken in. If it's in fine fiddle, then by all means put it on a ringmaster size model. Top RPM won't mean too much, but prop selection will be important but not critical. If you need a muffler for any reason you have to deal with that but even that is a problem that can be easily solved.
    Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fox .29 Stunt, is this a keeper?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 11:20:02 AM »
Frank - by all means, keep it.
It is, in my opinion, one of the best running of all the early Foxes.
I flew my Barnstormer for four years with and early 50s Fox 29. Over 700 flights. I flew in in Old Time, Classic and ama stunt. I also let many other people fly it.
I found the 29 new-in-box at the local hobby shop.
I ran it in per standard procedure for a total of around 30 minutes. 
The only fuel I ever ran in it was Powermaster 10/22-50/50.
I used an old Top-Flite 10-6 wooden prop.
It's been in a number of other planes and always performed flawlessly.
I never changed the plug - Fox as I recall.
To this day, it has compression exactly as you described yours.
The only thing I changed was the needle valve assembly - I used a K&B NVA.
I tried a number of different mufflers - none of them worked. The engine seemed to always run hotter. Fortunately, no damage.
The K&B NVA was a real improvement over the Fox unit. I rarely made any adjustment throughout the flying season.
Put it on any one of a number of OTS or classic planes and enjoy the ride!

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here