News:

• May 21, 2024, 11:37:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 15X Test Stand Capers  (Read 1574 times)

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Fox 15X Test Stand Capers
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:35:08 AM »
I have been tinkering with a 15X from Ebay and have been running it on the stand I have run about 8 2oz. tanks through it and it seems to be just about broken in now. It is an early one without any muffler provisions it was castored up tight when it came and cleaned up well but I dont think it was run much. I have a long Idle bar plug in it with a stack of gaskets to keep it away from the piston, not an ideal set up for sure but I dont have any short plugs on hand that have any life left in them, and I am just trying to finish breaking it in and figure ouit some of its quirks. I am running 10% nitro 22%oil 50/50 mix with an 8x4 Master Airscrew prop and its a pretty good runner I have a Magnum 15 XLS muffler to adapt to it. I am going to cut a few different head gaskets for it get some Glow Devil short idle bar plugs for it and lap the back of the case a little bit as the sealing surface is a little sketchy looking and then I can start setting it up for the Akromaster. I want to have this plane all ready for the GSCB new Years day fun fly. I could run engines all day on the stand its a lot of fun I hope I can remember how to fly! T.J. 
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: Fox 15X Test Stand Capers
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »
I forgot to put this on the original post what was the purpose of the thick head spacer on the 15 X was this to make it more kid friendly it must really drop compression I dont have a manual for this engine and always wondered what its purpose was. T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »
Can't remember the figures, but the test in Model Aircraft wondered what was the purpose, and guessed it must be to make it "kid friendly" as you say. Otherwise it had no more power than an .09. Taking out the gasket improved matters no end.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »
I forgot to put this on the original post what was the purpose of the thick head spacer on the 15 X was this to make it more kid friendly it must really drop compression I dont have a manual for this engine and always wondered what its purpose was. T.J.

Kid friendly or nitro friendly?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 03:51:50 PM »
TJ,

I've got a Fox 15 in an Akromaster and very happy with the combo.

I use 5%N & 20% Castor, it's very happy on that. Although I absolutely HATE the Fox NVA - What a piece of dogs do!

I wouldn't ever use an idle bar plug on any 15 I have, mines got an OS 6 in at present, but any medium/hot plug should give you good results.

Now get it out of the test stand and go fly it while it still has some use left in it.  ;D

Greg

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 05:28:25 AM »
I have to say this engine isn"t as mean as everything I have been led to believe about them, granted its a 50 year old design but I wont be hurling this one. I am guessing some of the newer engines might be easier but I am enjoying figuring out its quircks and I probably paid half of what a venturi and needle valve would cost me to convert one of the more popular engines to cl , I have some newer engines as well but this seems to be the engine of choice for the Akromaster and I am haveing a lot of fun with it. T.J.   

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 03:25:08 PM »
Had a little time today and ran the 15X again with a new GloDevil short plug in it and its ready for the plane now. I also ran my veco 19 which is going in a flite streak ARF , I put a GloDevil short R/C plug in it and ran a few tanks through it and am pretty happy with how it runs as soon as I get the muffler on it I will try it again and tweak it if neccisary and fly it. The Veco seems to be a strong runner and I can't wait to fly it.T.J.

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 04:13:32 PM »
TJ,

What plane you planning for the Fox?

Greg

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
I have a Fox 15x that I bought new back in the early 60's, and it still runs well. I flew mine in a Jr Ringmaster, and a Shark 15 for many flights. When I started flying control line again 18 years ago, I got the Shark out and flew it as it was the only control line plane I had left. It still ran very well and flew the plane just fine. Nice little engine.
Jim Kraft

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 06:13:47 PM »
The 15 X is going on a Sig Akromaster and down the road on a Lil' Dynamite

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »
I picked a small bottle of Castor oil up in the Walmart pharmacy  and added a little to bring my fuel up to around 28% for the Veco and 26% for the Fox, I can't believe anyone would take this stuff internally Yuk!

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 02:18:50 PM »
TJ,

Why 28% & 26%? I doubt the engines would care about such a small variation?

Greg

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 07:20:25 PM »
Just experimenting mixing it up by the tankful seeing how they run and what they like. The veco seemed to be running hot it liked the extra bit of oil closer to super fuel. Its a force of habit really, I grew up on a farm and still farm a little on the side. I mix up most of my pesticides and herbicides by volume of concentrate to water and it can make a big difference dollar wise if you are careful, to much and you are wasting money and not enough and you risk not getting a good kill and the bugs can build up a resistance to the chemical . The Fox just seemed to blow any more oil out the stack past 26% the Veco might be able to go down a little once I change the needle valve , it has some crash scars on it and might have a slight bend to it I am going to try an extra Super Tiger valve in it and see how it runs because it needles a little erratic and might be a touch lean from an air leak.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:51:54 PM by YakNine »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here