News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:48:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 15 BB schneurle for stunt  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Mike Bush

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Fox 15 BB schneurle for stunt
« on: September 09, 2023, 07:15:07 AM »
So I have 4 or 5 of these engines and have sleeved down some venturis to .242 with .156 NV to make them needle better with an 8x4 apc prop on the bench. I am wondering if anyone has used them for stunt engines in the high rpm low pitch type run ? If so what was your setup and what size sq in plane would you run them on. They seem to be happy running 7" props but were not very happy with 8" and 12.5 to 13k rpm as far as needle adjustments went until I made the smaller venturis . Is this a lost cause? I have them already and like them ,but I'm looking for suggestions on setup and plane size
Thanks
Mike Bush

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
Re: Fox 15 BB schneurle for stunt
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 09:20:40 PM »
A lot depends on the vintage of motor you have.   The earlier motors that came out in the 80's had quite high timing.  Motors that were made from about 2000 or so had quite a bit lower timing, I assume to be more docile for RC use.

Offline Mike Bush

• 22 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 10:40:33 AM »
Thanks Mike. One new in box that I have is different from the rest in that the muffler is different with a much smaller outlet and the trust washer is completely different. The stamp in the box is Jan 27 199?, I can't read the last # of the date. Maybe that one is milder than the rest. I'm thinking a plane in the 330 sq in size would be close.
Mike

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 12:34:46 PM »
8-4 apc is gonn'a load that engine badly. Mine has a 7-4 apc and pulls a lightened Yak-9 trainer with stationary flaps pretty good.

MM 8)

Offline Mike Bush

• 22 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 03:07:57 PM »
Mm is that the sterling/Brodak Yak 9. 323 sq in ?  Are you happy with the power on that plane ?
Mike

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 06:18:48 PM »

Mike,

Here's a Ringmaster Jr. powered by a Fox 15 Schneurle. I haven't flown it with Spectra yet but with 52', .012" steel lines,  a 7-5 prop and 10% fuel I've done most of the maneuvers. Lots of fun to fly.

Ara

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2023, 11:34:08 PM »
8-4 apc is gonn'a load that engine badly. Mine has a 7-4 apc and pulls a lightened Yak-9 trainer with stationary flaps pretty good.

MM 8)

That sounds disturbingly weak for stunt, I would have expected it to be pretty strong. f it won't even spin 8-4, then it is far too weak, the 15FP has no problem at all with a 9-4  and pulls airplanes like the Yak around with reasonable authority. I think Paul Walker test-ran his 15s in a Mike Deitrich Cobra.

That was one of the engines we did not try in the small engine experiments, for more-or-less the same reason from the other thread - I could never find one that didn't require some mechanical fixes or required extensive break-in.

Brett

Offline Mike Bush

• 22 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 05:55:21 PM »
2 of the 15BB that I have been running on the bench are turning a apc 8-4 13K rpm in a rich 2 stroke with the .242 Venturi with the factory muffler.
Mike

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 06:21:15 PM »
   That sounds disturbingly weak for stunt, I would have expected it to be pretty strong. f it won't even spin 8-4, then it is far too weak, the 15FP has no problem at all with a 9-4  and pulls airplanes like the Yak around with reasonable authority. I think Paul Walker test-ran his 15s in a Mike Deitrich Cobra.

That was one of the engines we did not try in the small engine experiments, for more-or-less the same reason from the other thread - I could never find one that didn't require some mechanical fixes or required extensive break-in.

Brett

That would be a Steve Wooley Cobra, monokoted, something like 34 oz. I'm not real familiar with Deitrich's Cobra, but think it was larger with a bubble canopy vs. razorback arrangement. The Wooley Cobra is HUGE for the original Fox .35 stunt. Over 600 sq. in., IIRC.   H^^ Steve

PS: I'd think an ARF Flite Streak would be a fair test bed for a Fox .15bb.
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 03:25:06 PM »
Mm is that the sterling/Brodak Yak 9. 323 sq in ?  Are you happy with the power on that plane ?
Mike

Yes Brodak Yak 9, we don't do stunts with it but I think it would.

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2023, 06:23:04 AM »
Hello

I would make a twin using a pair of late model Fox 15's which should be happy with an 8x4 or a 7.5x4
If you want power they need to spin up eg F2D combat engines normally use a 6.5x3.5 or 6.5 x3.75 prop to get useful power an an early Fox 15 BB with a high compression head would not like an 8x4 holding it back but the latter sports timed engines used much lower compression head buttons (there were 3 types)

Regards Gerald

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here