News:

• May 22, 2024, 07:53:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First pipe set up  (Read 670 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
First pipe set up
« on: February 18, 2007, 07:18:23 AM »
If everything goes as planned I will be purchasing an OS 40VF today for my first ever pipe set up. Is there a introductory set up for a first timmer ? or does this depend on the plane ? What all do I need ?
Venturi: what size
NVA: P/A or OS
Header: is there a standard one or does this depend on the plane also ?
Pipe: ???
Am I missing anything ?
Thanks
Leester
ama 830538

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: First pipe set up
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 09:49:06 AM »
I would contact either Paul Walker or Brett Buck....they have slightly differing views on how to make a VF 40 work, but both work really well.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 02:19:05 PM »
I'm using a 40VF. In my case, I'm using Brett Buck's setup. There are two ways to go. I'll try to dig up Brett's original post on this.

My setup uses a "60" sized, 3 chamber Randy Smith pipe set at ~17.75" (adjusted a 1/4" either way depending on conditions), PA needle valve and a Bolly 11.3x4 2 blade prop. I've also used an 11x4 three blade that works fairly well, too. Ground rpm is set at 10,800 and off you go. Very steady run.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 02:22:16 PM »
My thoughts...

Go with the guy that built the engine, and/or the pipe. There are at least 4-5 pipes that would hook up with that engine and they all run differently! If you don't have a pipe I would go with our moderator, and follow through with him on the whole set-up. There is nothing worse than getting a venturi from Robin Round, a pipe from the wizard of OZ, and a prop from the north Gawja woods. You'd just be digging a deeper hole in your shop floor! You'll also need a prop pitch guage. If you don't have one, start looking now for a Prather Pitch Guage. They are pretty much the "Standard" and are sometimes quite hard to find. They go in and out of production. As for the header there are about 3 different sizes relating to the aircraft you'll be using, so don't buy that until you're ready for it.

It's really not at all that difficult, But do find one knowledgeable individual and stick with him.

S?P

Ward
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 10:05:48 PM »
If everything goes as planned I will be purchasing an OS 40VF today for my first ever pipe set up. Is there a introductory set up for a first timmer ? or does this depend on the plane ? What all do I need ?
Venturi: what size
NVA: P/A or OS
Header: is there a standard one or does this depend on the plane also ?
Pipe: ???
Am I missing anything ?
Thanks

Hello

Common setup is  265 diameter venturie, PA  needle valve assmebly or  60 size ST NVA
11.3 x 4.25  2 blade Bolly or  11 x4  3 blade  bolly,
 The 51 size pipe has great results, 17 3\4 to 18 inch lenght from glow plug to the first baffle ( or first reflective surface)
 start with 10% nitro fuel 20% oil
and  launch with the motor just on the verge of a 2 stroke on the ground, this should be right at 10,900  RPMs , the motor should go thru manouvers just 4-2 cycling  without going sagging lean
depending on the drag and weight of the model you build you will need to adjust pitch to acheive  the right airspeed
adjust nitro to get the right break-power in the manouvers

Regards
Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here