News:

• May 01, 2024, 12:05:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exhaust temps ??  (Read 660 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Exhaust temps ??
« on: May 05, 2008, 07:27:55 AM »
I want to make a custom exhaust header out of aluminum and brass tubing.  Was wondering if JB Weld would hold up under the heat.  Package says max temp is 600F.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Exhaust temps ??
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 09:13:54 AM »
JB Weld is iffy.  It might hold up it you keep the engine rich and cool.  I've also seen it fail in 30 seconds.

Conley Weld is better.

DevCon High Temp Epoxy is will work for sure.  Unfortuately, it doesn't seem to be on the market anymore. Marvin Denny was kind enough to give me what he had left.  I should have stocked up in '74.  That stuff never fails, regardless of temp.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 12:00:21 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 09:15:38 AM »
Alan,
I have used JB Weld to patch small leak (at joint) of the aftermarket muffler on my ST 51------has held for many flights.  Guess it has not been hotter than 600* F.

Not sure it will work for actual structural assembly ???

Cheers,

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 08:54:42 PM »
Usingaluminum and brass together may be enough to give you grief. Those two metals will expand at very different rates.  Enough so that the header may self destruct regardless of the epoxy used.

To say nothing of the corrosion from using dissimilar metals. Ty's Navy experience shoulda reminded him of that. Even stainless steel and aluminum causes a "galvanic reaction".  Scott Dinger's mufflers are nice, as are Randy Smith's and "Big Art's". Pick one, and be happy!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here