News:

• May 10, 2024, 08:25:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: exhaust headerscrews vibrate loose  (Read 440 times)

Offline Charles Hofacker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
exhaust headerscrews vibrate loose
« on: June 27, 2020, 03:13:43 PM »
I've 3 quick questions for you: 1) is RoJett out of business? The phone number on their web page is in-op and no response to e-mail to address given on the web page. 2) How can I stop the screws that hold on the exhaust header from working loose?  and 3) The exhaust header gets VERY hot and its inside the fuselage. What precautions should be taken to protect the fuselage and internal parts from the heat? This is the first time I've installed a rear exhaust engine in a full cowl. It's a RoJett BSE 40 RE and I'm using the header muffler not the tuned pipe.

Online Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: exhaust headerscrews vibrate loose
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 08:32:58 AM »
Hello,
to briefly answer your questions:

1) Try contacting Dub Jett directly (http://www.dubjett.com/contact2015.html). Dub currently takes care of the entire management of the business, including the RO-JETT line.
2) Check that the mating surfaces are PERFECTLY flat and tighten the screws firmly (but not to death) and try not to tighten one screw stronger than the other. ONLY to eliminate the problem of small leaks it can be useful to use a very light film of silicone sealant.
3) If the air can flow freely around the exhaust system, no special precautions are usually necessary. If the tank is very close to the muffler it can be helpful to isolate it (perhaps with a sheet of balsa and/or with a sheet of heat reflective material) to limit the heating of the fuel, in any case try to favor the air flows.
I hope this is useful.

Massimo

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 06:56:47 PM »
Put a split washer(lock washer) under the bolt/screw head.   Just make sure you have air flowing over the exhaust muffler. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 05:50:55 PM »
How can I stop the screws that hold on the exhaust header from working loose?  and 3) The exhaust header gets VERY hot and its inside the fuselage. What precautions should be taken to protect the fuselage and internal parts from the heat? This is the first time I've installed a rear exhaust engine in a full cowl. It's a RoJett BSE 40 RE and I'm using the header muffler not the tuned pipe.

I have never used a header muffler, but I have had no problems with headers coming loose. As long as everything is faced off flat and square and the usual sealant the is in place, they seem to really hang in there. I do use lock washers, and the 5-40 screws give plenty of torque. I also am pretty sure I am getting sealant on the screws, which probably holds them a bit, too. All that mass just hanging off does makes yours a tougher problem.

I don’t know what to say about heat. I am surprised that it gets extraordinarily hot in a stunt plane application. And I don’t know for sure what sort of cooling setup will be required. One thing we found in the first few piped flights is that you couldn’t have lots of cylinder cooling outlets because it let the air out before it got to the coupler and pipe which tended to overheat the pipe.

Brett

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 06:32:07 PM »
   If you are not supporting the muffler, I would rig something to do so. Like Brett said, that's a lot of weight jumping around back there. That should cure the bolts coming loose. Any air exhaust for cooling should be right at the end of the muffler, and be a combine area bigger than any inlet. Air is a liquid and takes the path of least resistance. You can protect any of the structure with some common aluminum foil, but make sure you have a space between the muffler body and the structure,
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 11:29:26 PM »
  Charles ,
  I use a split washer & an internal star washer on each bolt, run it a minute , recheck , retighten . Then check again after a couple flights. Usually have to custom cut the bolt because of the double washer . I'd try to support the muffler someway. I just had a custom header cut & welded by Dub within a month  he is still open.
  John L.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here