News:

• May 22, 2024, 08:06:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EVO 60 : First [ short ] Flight.  (Read 793 times)

Offline Robin_Holden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
EVO 60 : First [ short ] Flight.
« on: May 29, 2011, 02:50:55 AM »
Greetings all from S.W.France.

A short while back I posted a few comments regarding the new Evo 60 C/L . Well , yesterday was 'judgement day' , first flight. Here's my impressions so far :

After a careful running-in regime comprising around 20 , short , fast ,  rich'ish runs , we installed the Evo into an airframe.

I'd been fascinated by Bradley Walker's great article in CLW suggesting the use of a 'lightweight' large engine, run in a 'cool' mode and installed in a smaller airframe , normally powered by a smaller engine.The Evo weighs in at 12 oz. according to our kitchen scales.

Encouraged by Bradley's article the Evo went into a 47 oz , around 580 sq. inch 'plane which used the ribs , moments etc from the Brodak Cardinal . A great airplane in my opinion. I have one with an ST 51 [ tuned to perfection by Mr. Tom Dixon ] .

My initial set-up was :

Fuel with 23% lube' with around 19% castor , 4%  synthetic , Zero nitro. Nitro is VERY expesive here
APC 12X5 prop'.
Plastic tank , uniflow , no muffler pressure.
Tongue muffler , with extra holes drilled.
Smaller venturi fitted.
3 and a half turns open on the needle.
One flipped choke only.

At the second flick , she was away and settled into a 'cool mode' 4-stroke at around 9,300 .

I'd only filled the tank half full just in case anything went amiss but the Evo held rock steady until the fuel expired.

I need to trim the 'plane , line rake needs adjusting as there's too much line tension etc.

So first impressions regarding this fine engine ?

I deal for me , a ' Sunday' flier as it's docile , easy to set-up , holds it's setting , hand starts with no problem.

I only had one short flight as it became a bit blustery and I'm a pretty lousy pilot in the wind.

Fianlly , what a great value package .... Two venturis [ I'll only use the smaller one ] , two mufflers plus the usual allen keys.
Get those orders in now ! I got mine from Randy in double quick time , great service thanks.

That's all folks at the moment . I'll keep posting as we get better aquainted with this smashing [ English venacular - great ! ] engine ,

Kind regards from S.W France ,

Robin [ Ex-pat Brit' in the Charente full of ex-pat Brits' ] . 

Dave Adamisin

Re: EVO 60 : First [ short ] Flight.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 02:50:09 PM »
Thanks for the report Robin. Good to hear it runs on no nitro. I tried it with as low as 5%. The light weight of the plane is interesting. I've been flying a 72 oz 675 square beast. Brad's paper about the smaller plane with the cool run was interesting.

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 06:44:08 PM »
I'm surprised at how light the Evo is. It looks like a 14-16oz engine in photos!
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:53:42 AM »
It's actually 12.7 with the tongue muffler.

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:55:21 AM »
  Dave , I think I read somewhere that the EVO 60 matches the mounting bolt holes of an OS 45FSR/46SF , is
that correct ?
            Bill
AMA 325076

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 02:40:11 PM »
It's actually 12.7 with the tongue muffler.

That's in the same ball park as the ST G.51.  I wonder how much more usable power the Evo .60 has compared to the ST .51, set up properly?  (curiosity!)

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 07:30:05 PM »
  Dave , I think I read somewhere that the EVO 60 matches the mounting bolt holes of an OS 45FSR/46SF , is
that correct ?
            Bill

Yes... but.. the driver washer is a little further out, about 0.20"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here