News:

• May 22, 2024, 04:19:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ever see a Morton M-5  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • khspriggs
Ever see a Morton M-5
« on: November 17, 2006, 09:54:25 PM »
Here is a picture that I took at the North American Model Engineers Society get together in Toledo. This guy had more than this. Some were originals and some he had built.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Ever see a Morton M-5
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 12:00:05 AM »
All Morton's? Even the one on the far left? Wow. That's $20K of hardware on one piece of wood!
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 03:37:42 AM »
At the Brodak Fly In someone fired one up....very cool sounding, but, as I understand, fairly poor pwer to weight.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 07:27:41 AM »
Lou Proctor put one of those on the first Antic he built in 1966 or thereabout. This plane will fly with a fairly decent 45 sized motor. Alas the Morton was only able to achieve a fast taxi or an abortative hop.
 One of my old club members now deceased, Bob Grimm, was an excellent machinist and worked for Western electric[AT&T] to you guys and had made one of these from the enginered drawings that were available. I was not present when this was made  since I was about 5 at the time. However from his reports and those who were there when it was first fired up it was quite an adventure.
They tried hand flipping and got nowhere, not even a pop, so in desperation they hooked it up to a drill and let it rip. It ran that way for about a minute and then a pop was heard then another and another and after about 3 minutes it was running. With subsequent runs it finally bedded in and was quite an easy starter, however his opinion of it was that it ws the most gutless motor that he ever made.
 Off models for a minute, Bob made brass clocks, you know the kind with a nice pendulem et all. Completely machined and turned in his shop, complete to cutting his own gears, faceplates, bezels, hands, true works of art. If you were paying him what he made at his job these clocks would have cost in excess of 5,000. He passed away about 5 years ago and I've wondered what happened to all the neat stuff he had accumulated in a lifetime of creative building.
As to Mortons they really wern't ment to be a flying motor but a tool to teach A&E students during the war. Purpose was to not tie up real radials as they were needed for planes at the time.
dennis

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 06:35:02 PM »
I think those Morton's may belong to Jim Hawk of Texas...   I note a distributor at the rear of the GHQ...   I have seen his inline 4 cylinder GHQ run at the Tulsa collecto and a Morton M-5 that he rebuilt... 
Both of them handstarted readily.  The Morton was turning a decent size prop and sounded incredible!!!   They have a bunch of internal friction from all the moving parts and most of the originals were not very powerful, but if they have been fitted well do run!!  ;D
Later
Jim   

Offline Vince Mankowski

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 04:30:10 PM »
I worked for Glenn Morton at Morton MFG in Omaha in the early 60's. Also lucky enough to have an M-5 assembled by Glenn Morton and John Sadowskis a long time toolmaker for Morton.
The M-5 was made from released wartime DX-rated aluminum as one of those products to be available when the boys came home from overseas. It was a kit motor. Intended to be built by the hobbiest-machinist.  Jack Benney's  "Rodchester" built one of the early ones.
Shortly after initial sales, there was a demand for ready-to-run motors, and they were assembled at Morton MFG. The "home built" kit motors are recognizible from the factory built ones as the factory jobs had serial numbers.
They were a display motor, and only secondarily became power for models.
Morton did produce two CL kits for the M-5, one was a Beech Staggerwing.
Morton made the "Challanger" single cylinder for flying models. And produced a few 4-cyl inline watercooled engines as prototypes.
Before the War, Glenn Morton produced the two-place Morton FSB aircraft until the war effort took all the rubber-spruce etc for the war effort. The FSB was billed as Fast-Safe & Beautiful .... but known as the Fast Son'va Bitch. Morton then moved from Wichita to Denver and stamped out balsa kits (gliders). He got into the M-5 and then into die casting, ending up in Omaha where his first purchased casting machine was located.  later he invented a vacuum system for aluminum die casting, then Morton VertaCast casting machine and many other things. All with a 6th grade edcuation.
He sold the rights to the M-5 to the Burgess battery company in the 50's and focused on the aluminum die casting business.
My particular M-5 was one of two assembled to disprove the claim that the engine was problematic. An M-5 was mounted on a stand and fed with a clever chicken hopper tank arrangement, it was started on Thursday and allowed to run through to Monday morning.
Monday the thing was still serviceable and the unused backup M5 found its way from Johnny Sadowskis then to me in his will.
By the way............. it runs beautifully.

Vince Mankowski
Vince Mankowski

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 11:39:42 PM »
Thanks for all the additional information,

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here