News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:32:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya SS35 Fuel  (Read 842 times)

Offline Mike Austin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Enya SS35 Fuel
« on: April 30, 2023, 06:00:35 PM »
I recently acquired a Enya SS35. Not sure but it looks fairly new. Has a ringed piston. What is the best fuel to start with running this motor? Also does not seem to have a lot of compression. Turns over smooth until the prop is attached and it feels like gravel in the front bearing. Remove the prop and it's smooth again.

Thanks,
Mike A.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Enya SS35 Fuel
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 07:23:43 PM »
Have you checked if the bearings are fully seated?  You might want to do disassemble / reassemble job.

Peter

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 11:20:12 PM »
You definitely don't want to keep turning it--or even keep the prop nut tight--if you can "feel the balls" in the setup. At the least, as suggested, you need to find the problem, likely by fully disassembling, and fix it. If you haven't done this before you can read up on it and give it a try (but you might need to replace things) or find someone who has a good feel for this.

It could be garbage in the bearing, but if it is a new Enya that seems extremely unlikely to me. The ones I have seen are made like jewelry. It could be a bad installation, or the tolerances may have stacked the wrong way. Whatever it is, get it back out and you should have a very nice engine....

If the tip of the crank is damaged from hitting the pavement, that can brinell the front bearing because it takes all the impact load.

Good luck!

Offline Mike Austin

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 03:57:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it time for a tear down. Never felt an engine that did this before and had a feeling something is not right with internals.

Mike A.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 07:30:52 AM »
  You could be missing a spacer or a washer behind the prop hub that is supposed to pick up a shoulder on the crank shaft or something. Make sure you have all the parts. I have seen this before where it was a used engine, and had been involved in a one point landing, straight into the ground. There was enough clearance and slop in the crank shaft that everything got pushed back, and the main issue was the rear bearing got pushed back and was binding. When you get it apart you might see some scoring or rub marks from turning iot over some where.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 08:26:48 AM »
Dan has added an important point. 

Current theories:

1.  Bearings and/or crank not fully seated.
2.  Bad bearing:  Dirty, rusty, dinged, etc.
3.  Missing/incorrect hardware behind thrust washer.  Examine thrust washer to make sure it clears case, even before disassembly.

Good luck,

Peter

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2023, 08:28:47 AM »
Also, have you tried heating the engine to 225 F and pulling on a tightened prop, even without disassembly?  That might seat the crank/rear bearing.  And also seating the front bearing into the case by tapping on it warm?

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2023, 05:20:28 PM »
Also, have you tried heating the engine to 225 F and pulling on a tightened prop, even without disassembly?  That might seat the crank/rear bearing.  And also seating the front bearing into the case by tapping on it warm?

I would try this, but the front bearing may be clogged with dried oil or just not any good. Heat gun would be my first step, penetrating oil or glow fuel second, but only because I'm not a fire enthusiast.   

Some Super Tigres I had in the 1960's had a similar problem. I found they needed a shim, as the crank was too short between the bearing journals. A few years later, the factory started putting shims in some of them, between the front bearing and the step in the crank. I suspect they may have made the shims (aluminum) in .005" or so increments and had somebody measuring cases and cranks to pair them up with an appropriate shim thickness. There needs to be a wee bit of clearance (but not too much) as the case expands and the crank not so much.  :P Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Austin

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 05:52:38 PM »
Issue resolved!! I contacted the fellow I got the engine from and he will either refund my funds or swap for a  different motor. I've been involved with glow motors for a long time and never ran across this issue before. Thanks for all the suggestions !!

Mike A.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2023, 05:52:50 PM »
          I own a SS 35 and it doesn't offer a lot of compression as well. It runs like a sewing machine though. A beautiful engine with plenty of power. In the manual, Enya recommends at least 20% oil castor or synthetic. I personally use synthetic. Nitro is 0%-15%.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2023, 07:03:29 PM »
  If you resolve the crank bearing issue, and it turns out to be dried castor crud in the bearings, the ring could be stuck in the groove on the piston also. A little warmth and some ATF will free that up also.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here