News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:44:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya 61CXL with Pipe  (Read 5311 times)

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
Enya 61CXL with Pipe
« on: May 21, 2011, 06:51:08 PM »

Hi Folks,

Is any one up there using the Enya 61CXL with pipe? I would appreciate if you could share your setup and any helpful information like pipe length, prop, venturi etc..

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline jim welch

• Commander
Re: Enya 61CXL with Pipe
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »
Martin....I've got over 100 flights on mine in a T Rex, SV11...pipe lenght is 17.25, majik 3 blade 12.5 x 3.8, 6.0 mm venturia with bruline filter, 5 % sig fuel, launch rpm 8900.It's been flown at the KOI, huntersville,Cole contests and not many could tell it was an ENYA...thought it was a PA because I swap back and forth quite often.Right now it's in a P40 profile with pipe...Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:26:54 PM »
Martin....I've got over 100 flights on mine in a T Rex, SV11...pipe lenght is 17.25, majik 3 blade 12.5 x 3.8, 6.0 mm venturia with bruline filter, 5 % sig fuel, launch rpm 8900.It's been flown at the KOI, huntersville,Cole contests and not many could tell it was an ENYA...thought it was a PA because I swap back and forth quite often.Right now it's in a P40 profile with pipe...Jimmy
I have one I am going to put in an SV-11 ARC.
The 6.0 mm venturi, is that the stock factory venturi, or something you changed ?
How much fuel you using for the pattern ?
What pipe are you using ?  
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 05:37:27 PM »
The 6.0 is a factory part...got 4 sizes from ENYA and some head gaskets about a year ago with the motors.Using 6.5 ounces to do the pattern with the SV11.Pipe is a randy quiet pipe.   Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:13:31 PM »
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your input. I guess there must be missunderstanding, Enya does not have a  6.00mm Venturi for the 61CX.  The smallest optional venturi they have for the 61CX is 7.00mm.  I believe the Enya 61CX comes with a 7.5mm one. I order mine with 8.0mm and requested an optional 8.5mm which they start making after I requested.  I used 8.5mm with a 61CX with muffler and it work pretty good with the Strega using APC 13x4 or B.E 13x3.75 3 blades.

Martin

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:05:11 PM »
My 61 CX RE (muffled with Randy's header and tube muffler) came with a 7.5mm venturi which I used when running in but I swapped it out for the 8mm from my 60-IIIB for flying in an SV-11. If I'd known about it at the time I would also have ordered the optional high compression head button, which I believe is standard on the RC version, because I use FAI fuel. The head button on mine has a small dimple near the glow plug which I can only assume indicates the low compression head.

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 08:35:54 AM »
Martin...you got my brain going...checked several with the good mic...the one I thought was 6.0 was close to 7.0 but not quite 6.8 at its best.These were packaged in a pack labled s5022 venturya with hand written sizes written on them.There in lies the problem... just took them for granted to be right.The brand new engine in the box I just opened does have a 7.5.The packaged 6.0 marked is a 7.0 in the plastic and the 7.5 in the package is 7.5.My hobby dealer got these from Ken.The one that ran best on pipe was the smaller one 6.8.Power on pipe was not a problem...I was trying to de-tune somewhat on pipe......Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 02:43:40 PM »
Hi Jimmy,

Sorry that I missed seeing you and the plane at Huntersville!  Sounds like the Enya and pipe set up is a good one. 

What differences do you see between the Enya and the PA .61?

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 08:23:41 PM »
Hey Bill....the ENYA runs very strong at a lower rpm than the PA...8800 or so,cost  less is available, pulled an 80 ounce airplane fine as well as it did a 62 oz.SV 11.Iv'e run it off of no nitro fuel and 5% didn't seem to make any difference.I made the head button though and its high compression with a wide squishban.The run is kinda like a VF 46 on drugs...HE  HE....JIMMY
AMA 89335

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 12:03:20 AM »
I started testing the 61CX RE with  SV-11 ARF. I have no experience running  pipe engine and hope some of you pipe expert can help me a bit here.

I am using initially this setup
B.E. #7 Pipe at 18.5"
Enya 3 Plug
Venturi: .315 (8.0mm)  with Bruline green element
Prop:  Bolly 13x4.5 repitched to 4" at station 8 and 3.8" @ 13
Fuel Byron Traditional 10% Nitro 20% Oil
Lines:  69' C2C
Launch at around 10k rpms
5.1s laps

I  fill the 6.0Oz Tank up and get about 5.0 ~ 5.5 minutes running.

Engine run most in 2 when maneuvering and goes to 4 in level flight.  It is charging a bit when maneuvering so I believe I need to move the pipe further.

In the H8 it is not running perfectly symmetric, slightly rich on the inside and slight leaner on the outside.  What are the possible fixes to make a more even run? I thought with a pipe this would not happen at all.

Which way it goes towards a 4-4-4 run?

- smaller or larger venturi
- more or less head compression ratio
- longer or shorter pipe 
- Colder or Hotter Plug   

I notice that when I change the Enya 3 Plug to an Enya 4 Plug the 4S was more present and a deeper sound.

What would do in my shoes, focus in obtaining 2-2-2 or 4-4-4 type run?

Martin

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 08:25:47 AM »
I am probably about a month away from first flight on my SV-11 / Enya 61RE combo.  I started doing some bench runs with an Enya #3 plug and it seemed too cold, large RPM drop when glow driver disconnected.  Put a T-bolt plug in it, minimal drop.  I plan to work on 4-2-4 run.

You are launching 1000 RPM higher than Jim Welch reported above, with same pitch prop  ?

You should read the pipe article by Buck and Fitzgerald in Stunt News 2009 Special Edition.  Lots of good info.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 09:48:27 AM »
I started testing the 61CX RE with  SV-11 ARF. I have no experience running  pipe engine and hope some of you pipe expert can help me a bit here.

I am using initially this setup
B.E. #7 Pipe at 18.5"
Enya 3 Plug
Venturi: .315 (8.0mm)  with Bruline green element
Prop:  Bolly 13x4.5 repitched to 4" at station 8 and 3.8" @ 13
Fuel Byron Traditional 10% Nitro 20% Oil
Lines:  69' C2C
Launch at around 10k rpms
5.1s laps

I  fill the 6.0Oz Tank up and get about 5.0 ~ 5.5 minutes running.

Engine run most in 2 when maneuvering and goes to 4 in level flight.  It is charging a bit when maneuvering so I believe I need to move the pipe further.

In the H8 it is not running perfectly symmetric, slightly rich on the inside and slight leaner on the outside.  What are the possible fixes to make a more even run? I thought with a pipe this would not happen at all.

Which way it goes towards a 4-4-4 run?

- smaller or larger venturi
- more or less head compression ratio
- longer or shorter pipe 
- Colder or Hotter Plug   

I notice that when I change the Enya 3 Plug to an Enya 4 Plug the 4S was more present and a deeper sound.

What would do in my shoes, focus in obtaining 2-2-2 or 4-4-4 type run?

Martin

No idea on the last one. Do you know the exhaust duration of the engine?

Brett

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 11:35:16 AM »
Brett its 140 on the exhaust ....I run the smaller intake venturia and shorter pipe lenght on mine .   Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »
""Engine run most in 2 when maneuvering and goes to 4 in level flight.  It is charging a bit when maneuvering so I believe I need to move the pipe further.""

No I would try this first, the 18.5 to 19 inch is the right range but you should either drop nitro to 7.5 or 5% and run it as is or  run 10 to 15% nitro but back the needle out to a deeper 4 cycle where it will just beep 2 cycle in the tops of the manouvers, If the plane is too slow put the prop pitch back where it was before you  depitched it
Use the #4 in the hot summer months and the #3 all the rest of the year

Regards
Randy

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 09:38:22 AM »

Thanks for the help, now I have a few things to try this weekend.

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 06:29:21 PM »
I tried a mixture of 5% nitro and 25% Oil, but it didn't make much difference except the engine sounded differently. Tried a few plugs no difference also.

Move the pipe to 19", hard to notice any change. It still charges when maneuvering no matter if I launch richer (5.4s laps) or leaner (4.9s laps), it goes faster on the outside loop of the H8 and slower on the inside. But the weird thing is that it gets richer after the 3 outside loops, and if I start with 5.1s laps  it goes richer to 5.3s laps after the outside loops.

I intially setup the tank height lower then the NVA, about 1/8 and to fix the asymmetric during H8 I shimmed with another 1/8 piece, but no change it did exactly the same thing.

I just thought tonight that perhaps ONE of the sources of my problems could be fuel foaming. I used a hard L shape C.Fiber piece that bolts on the engine mount to secure the tank, will look into that when I have a chance and try a different fuel tank.  BTW, my fuel system was check and tripled check for leaks.

I noticed that this Enya 61CXRL with pipe is vibrating quite a bit more then my Enya 61CX SE with muffler and using the exact same prop. Does pipe increase engine vibration?

Will try to replicate Jim's setup when I have a chance.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Martin
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:36:25 PM by Martin Quartim »

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 10:21:38 AM »
Sort of shooting in the dark here but these suggestions are easy to implement. I had similar problems sorting out a Ro-Jett 51. It was cured by changing to a smaller diameter prop (12" to an 11.5x4). Made a world of difference. As you are using a 13" prop, try an APC 12.25x3.75 just to see if it helps. Also, 25% lube sounds like a bit much for this engine but I don't know how that would effect the run. Might try the good ol' 11 syn/11 castor blend.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 07:41:36 PM »
Hi Pete,

thank you for your reply. Well as matter of fact I have tried a smaller prop already. I just noticed that I miss to write "3Blades" on my setup,  I am using a Bolly 13x4.5 3 Blades prop repitched to 3.8 at the tips. When I tried the APC 13x4 the engine charged a lot more, with the Bolly the engine behave a lot better, but still  far from keeping the air speed as good as my other engines. I thought a tune pipe would govern the rpms no matter what engine, but  that aint happening here so far.

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 12:15:10 PM »

Found out a few problems: something melted on the first loop of the coil of the glow plug, the tubing inside the tank was loose and fuel foaming.  Replaced the plug and tank and that fixed most of the problems, but vibrations still causing fuel foaming. Apprently my SV-11 ARF was built with very soft wood and it is shaking too much in the nose.

Martin

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 12:42:14 PM »
HI Martin,

A couple of drops per gallon of Armor All WILL kill the fuel foaming.  Don't use more than a couple drops as more will cause deposits on the plug coil.  With just two or three drops in a gallon, you can shake the gallon real hard and there is no foam.

Never had , or even seen, the Enya 61CXRL yet, so I hope you get the problems squared away.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 02:40:17 PM »
Thanks Bill,

Unfortunately there is no Armor All down here. At Brodaks 2008 Dan Banjock was nice to give me some to fix my fuel foaming problem with my Ringmaster, and the engine ran soooo smooth.

I tried liquid silicone here but it messed up my glow plug in just a few flights.

Will try balancing the spinner, which I did not check and use Styrofoam to box in the fuel tank. Then I can finally focus to fine tune my engine.

Cheers,

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »

I was able to reduce a lot of the foaming problem  padding the fuel tank but it still hunting me.

What's the scoop with Armor All? I read some where that they changed the formula sometime ago and the new stuff is not as good as the old one.

Martin

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 07:22:07 PM »
The active ingredient in ArmorAll (as far as fuel foaming goes) was the silicone but I read years ago that they'd changed the formula and now there's no silicone in it. However I've still got my ancient bottle of the old stuff so haven't had any need to try the new one. I'm not convinced that it can cause plug problems because ArmorAll has been used here in Australia for decades and I've never heard any complaints. Some time ago I dosed a tank of fuel with enough ArmorAll to treat maybe 20 gallons of fuel just to see what might happen and the plug survived unscathed.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »
Easy enough to test: Put some fuel in a clear container, shake, note foam content. Same Container, same fuel, add one drop Armor all, repeat test and note foam content-there may not be any. If I use it (very seldom) but 2 drops per gallon usually does the trick.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 10:05:35 PM »
Use a bubble Jett tank? (http://www.jettengineering.com/)

Would definitely stop the fuel foam issue dead in its tracks but don't know how applicable they in CL stunt.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 05:28:42 PM by Chris Wilson »
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 07:37:32 PM »

I got the engine running quite well now. The foaming problem was almost eliminated padding the tank with Styrofoam and foam all around it.

I chosen to setup it up in in 2-2-2, and this is where I am now

Venturi: Stock 7.5mm
Tank Height:  Shimmed 0.5" from NVA
Pipe: 19.0" to 19.5"
Prop: Brian Eather 13x3.75 3 blade repitched to 4
Launch RPM: 9700rpms
Laps:  5.4s
Lines: 69' C2C
Fuel : Byron 4T YS 20/20 Mixed to bring formula around  10% Nitro 10% Sinth  14% Castor
Fuel Consumption: around 5.5Oz

Engine run a solid 2-2-2 and that slow motion feeling is happening. Last contest it was pretty windy and engine worked very well holding up the speed.

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 08:55:59 PM »
Just to make things clear,  the tank is shimmed so the uniflow end is about .5" from NVA. Looking the model upright the uniflow is .5" below the NVA.

Martin

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 06:37:55 AM »
Just to make things clear,  the tank is shimmed so the uniflow end is about .5" from NVA. Looking the model upright the uniflow is .5" below the NVA.

Martin
Good to hear about your success with the Enya.   I expect to be making 1st flights this weekend with my arc SV-11/Enya61RE.   My tank is set up with uniflow at same height as NVA, and only 1/8 adjustment up or down.  If mine is same as yours I would have to open tank and move u-flow tube.   
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 04:40:15 PM »
Easy enough to test: Put some fuel in a clear container, shake, note foam content. Same Container, same fuel, add one drop Armor all, repeat test and note foam content-there may not be any. If I use it (very seldom) but 2 drops per gallon usually does the trick.  8)

hi Pete,

I will try that when I find a source for liquid silicone, so far I have found products for auto care that have solvents and fragrances in the formula.

Cheers,

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 04:41:39 PM »
Use a bubbe Jett tank? (http://www.jettengineering.com/)

Would definitely stop the fuel foam issue dead in its tracks but don't know how applicable they in CL stunt.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the idea,  gotta try one of those some time.

Martin
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:00:04 PM by Martin Quartim »

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 07:51:15 PM »
Good to hear about your success with the Enya.   I expect to be making 1st flights this weekend with my arc SV-11/Enya61RE.   My tank is set up with uniflow at same height as NVA, and only 1/8 adjustment up or down.  If mine is same as yours I would have to open tank and move u-flow tube.   

Hi Allan,

As matter of fact I did moved uniflow. Otherwise the tank would touch the header.

Martin

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 10:25:46 AM »
From the Armor All web site

"Armor AllŪ Original Shine Protectant contains water-based silicone emulsions, surfactants, and ultraviolet light inhibitors, humectants, dispersants and gloss enhancers."
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 07:40:35 PM »
Use a bubbe Jett tank? (http://www.jettengineering.com/)
The only problem with the Bubble-Jett tanks is that you can't use Uniflow. It'd definitely stop any foaming though :).

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 07:55:52 PM »
The only problem with the Bubble-Jett tanks is that you can't use Uniflow. It'd definitely stop any foaming though :).
Hi Brian,
            the loss of any uniflow set up is kind of irrelevant since the pressure on the bubble should be fairly constant and since there is no variable empty tank space, there can be no head variation either.

I would worry more about a definite cut off point from that crinkled wine skin when its deflated. I can imagine veins of fuel spidering away from the pickup and giving quite a lean and surging run towards the end!
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2011, 10:10:16 AM »

Hi Brian,

I still have not been able to answer Brettīs question about the exhaust timing. Have you by any chance measured the exhaust timing of the 61CXRL? 

Martin

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2011, 05:57:45 PM »
Hi Martin,
The exhaust opens at 73 BBDC, transfers at 62, boost at 59, crank opens at 40 ABDC and closes at 55 ATDC. Compression is 8.5:1 with the low compression head as fitted to the CL version. Effective area of the standard 7.5mm venturi (mine actually measured 7.46mm) is 13.87 sq. mm (.021 sq. inch) and with the 8mm venturi I use it's 18.27 sq. mm (.028 sq. inch).

For interest's sake, the squish clearance is .78mm (.0307") but machining .6mm of the head button sealing area would give a squish clearance of .007" and compression of 10.55:1 which should be better suited to the zero nitro fuel I use. Something for me to play with later on :).

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2011, 09:42:41 PM »

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the numbers. If I got this right we should have 73x2 =146o total exhaust timing. That explain why I end up from 19" to 19.5" from 9600rpm to 10000rpm using a 13 3 blade prop.

Martin
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:06:17 AM by Martin Quartim »

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2011, 09:25:16 AM »
Correct Martin, I'm used to thinking of timings just by the opening point BBDC, for one thing it's immediately obvious what the blowdown period is.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2011, 04:31:05 PM »
Made first flights on my setup this past weekend.  
ARC SV-11,   64.5oz
Enya 61RE stock,  T-Bolt 4-stroke plug,  ES Design pipe at 18.75"
Fuel Morgan 10% c/l blend 11% castor 11% syn
Majik 2 blade 13 - 4.4
Lines 63', eye-eye
Over a series of 4 flights I ended up launching at 10k to give lap time around 5.4.  Seemed like it was mostly a 2-2-2 kind of run.  I plan to increase pitch to see if I can get it down into a 4-2-4.  
Did not see what Martin did relative to the tank adjustment.  I built a rectangle tank (no wedge) with a triangle baffle in rear outboard corner.  I set height to put uniflow vent same height as NVA and it is real close.  Inside and outside turns same, level flight up and down real close.
Engine has good power, should handle up to 70oz birds easy.   Seems to need a heavy prime for starting (compared to PA's),  might just be its a new engine for me.  
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2011, 08:47:43 AM »

I also find very strange that I end up with so much offset from uniflow to NVA. Laps inverted and level are the same, as matter of fact,  the Level x Inverted lap times did not change as I moved the tank down.

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2011, 02:13:24 PM »
   No idea on the last one. Do you know the exhaust duration of the engine?

Brett

Hi Brett,

Now we know that the exhaust is 146o. So what you think, would 4-4-4 setup be desirable?

Martin

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2012, 09:46:39 PM »
Update on the Enya 61re:
I had made about 10 flights with an ES Designs pipe, set at 18.75.  Did not have anything close to a good run.  Hard charging out of corners and no regulation on down lines.  Was going to switch to an Aero pipe, but decided to try it with just a muffler first.  Made the first flights on the muffler today.   Got a good 4-2-4 stunt run on the muffler, and decent power for the 62oz SV-11.  Setup was the same as I was using with the pipe, see post further up in this thread.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 01:05:50 AM »
Allen, it seems you're now doing basically the same as my (muffled) 61RE in an SV-11 other than I use zero nitro so I've made a new head button to raise compression to 12.4:1. Tank is a 120cc (4 ounce) Uniflowed plastic clunk with no pressure and gives almost exactly a 6 minute run time. Prop is a Bolly 2 blade 13.5x5 at 7900 launch revs giving 5.4 second laps on 70 foot C to C lines. That 7900 revs gives an occasional 2 stroke blip which is my indication it has the right setting each flight.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2012, 07:37:21 AM »
After checking my notes I see that I had re-pitched the 13" Majik prop to 4.9.  Only 5 flights so far with the muffler, but its looking like it will take me somewhere between 5.5 - 6.0 ounces with the 10% fuel.   I think I was launching something like 9400.  Should get it dialed in next time out and be able to report more accurate numbers.  I'm starting to like this engine.  Only minor issue is it requires a wet prime to get it going.  Pulling prop thru with finger on venturi doesnt seem to work, but giving it a wet shot with primer syringe does the trick. 
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 06:05:06 AM »
3 more flights this past weekend. 
Launching at 8800~8900 with the 2-blade Majik 13-4.9 gave a good 4-2-4 run. 
Six oz of 10% fuel gave run time of 7:55, so looks like 5.5 oz should be about right.
I do plan to go back and try the pipe at some point.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 10:24:04 AM »
That's starting to sound really good. Mine is the SE, hope the RE version becomes available again soon. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here