News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:33:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ENYA 35 - 5224 / 5225 .  (Read 5236 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ENYA 35 - 5224 / 5225 .
« on: November 04, 2015, 09:03:50 PM »

I found three of these , two 5224s & a 5225 , which appear identical .

Theyre the round intake ones which take an insert . Theyre actually r/c
but ive tripped over some Std. Enya intakes to suit.

How do they compare to OS 35s , other than being 5 ton ( about 9 Oz. )

Theres dual heads - do any of them work . Do They 4-2 or switch / pick up .
Jack Sheeks seemed fairly fond of them , in his C/L stunt stuff around 1970.

The ideas to usem in a twin , maybe . Though Ive OSes and ST's ,
so the idea is , ' are they the equal of anything , at that time ' ??

Thanks . I didnt really find them . They followed me home .  :P
Preferably discoureses from chaps whove actually used them , maybe in Comps .

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ENYA 35 - 5224 / 5225 .
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:44:39 PM »
Although I've never put any long term effort into them, I've found them to not be very suitable for competitive stunt flying. They don't really compare to a 35-S, which tends to be more like the Fox35 style of run. The Enya likes to be in the 2 stroke mode, making big power. It's a great sport flying engine once you get one completely broken in. Easy to start, runs steady, and near impossible to wear out.
You could probably make one work if you play around with props, venturis, head shims, ect, but SO many better choices out there.

My 2 cents.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 02:54:08 AM »
I just weighed one (plastic venturi, no muffler), and it's 7.8 oz. Not as light as my OS 35s, but hardly catastrophic (and probably a fair bit more robust). Maybe an APC 10.5x4.5 in a wet 2?  I'm building a Tucker, right now so I'll stick the Enya in it and see what happens.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 06:16:02 AM »
    ello Matt:

I began using these engines back in old country in the mid 70's and grew to like them.

They provide easy starting, steady run, good power and seem not to wear out like some other engines in their price range  Yes, a wet 2 cycle is how I used mine.  They used to be sold with two heads and three venture inserts.  Great to ply with different fuels etc.  They ran great on FAI fuel. I still have one on a Sig Chipmunk that I must fly someday.

Back in the day, they made a .29 that was very similar but put out .7 hp which was great in those days. I think that it was designed for a racing event that took place in that era.

Go ahead and use the Enya engines as I think that you will enjoy them.  The only thing that I disliked about them was the 7mm shaft.  I had to open the hole in the props from 1/4" to 7mm. One could not borrow a prop at the flying field! Lol

Any of your mates interested in a good ST G 20/.15D engines? Great sport engines!

Be sure to enjoy your upcoming Summer!

Be well my friend,

Frank McCune

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 08:27:30 AM »
Hello Frank and Matt,
Frank, I would be very interested in the ST G20/15D, PM me if you want to sell it!
Matt, I have run the 5224 for many years and I must say that I am very fond of them. For a start, they run on no nitro fuel and don't seem to suffer for it. No vague needle problems here. I find that they do run on the rich side, but I seem to get more of a break than previous contributors.
As to the comparison with the OS 35 S, well these are excellent when new and do a Fox like 2-4. However once they are past their prime (and that isn't too much running time!), I find them prone to running away. My experience with rods has not been all that good either, they seem to wear very quickly. Given the straight choice I would go for the Enya any day, unless I had a draw  full of new OS 35 S engines.
OK, I am a sports flyer, rather than a pattern flyer, so perhaps you should listen to those who do use them in competition. I have one of Brian's ABC set ups complete with rod, for the OS 35, I shall try it out next season. I suspect this will be better than either of the stock engines.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 04:53:45 PM »
Sounds like you need three more Enya 35s and a 7 mm drill , Frank .  S?P H^^

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 05:49:03 PM »
Hiya Matt,
                  maybe this link will bring joy -

http://www.supercoolprops.com/articles/enya29.php

" While an ENYA ( particularly the 29 ) could never hope to match a Fox for the perfect aerobatic characteristics, the 35 however did a better job at stunt than the Fox 35 did as a team race motor." ;D
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 09:37:55 PM »
Youd think sometime in the last 5.000 years , somebody wouldve figured out an OS35 head would go on a Enya 35 .  S?P

Enya Wedge / OS Hemi . The OS bores 10 thou. bigger so needs 5 thou. shaved from ' plug in ' sides . Baffle looks to mate notch .
P.C.D. matches ( ive screwed a OS30 one on to test fit ) . Looks like itll need a few gaskets , maybe . The .30 one clouts .

Will the HEMI chamber alter the run . one'd think so . Which Good stunt engines have Wedge Heads ??  ??? bound to be one ?

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »
I've a couple 55224s and a 5225 and they're running about 7.5 to 7.7 ounces without a muffler. My 5224s have the square venturiis so I use the smallest with the low compression head.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 09:48:12 AM »
The Enya came with 2 heads 7 and 9 C/R while the fox was 6. I guess you could shim or modify the head of the Enya to a 6 and then it would probably run just as bad as the fox 35 and perhaps even do worse as it 4 strokes along.
I ran Enya in the 50's when there were no others in any club in my area. I liked them then and still have a lot of them that I had then. And I had the proper reamers for the props They all will still outfly any Fox 35 on any given day.
Just another comment on the eternal dispute over the best engine for stunt or whatever. Take it for what it is, My opinion only.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here