News:

• April 25, 2024, 10:39:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Surging  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Engine Surging
« on: June 09, 2019, 04:11:54 PM »
I spent a very frustrating day yesterday trying to get my OS Max S .35 to run reliably.  She's normally steady, holds a needle setting, runs reliably.  But yesterday I had no success.  She would start readily but jumped around as much as 1,000 rpm, seemed to ignore everything I did with the needle valve.  Would go into violent vibrations for a few seconds at a time that were downright scary.     On couple of the last attempts to run her, raw fuel came out of the uniflow vent hose aimed into clean air from the prop.  These are the things I tried.  The prop was balanced.  I tried another balanced prop.   I changed the NVA (ST) twice, changed the fuel lines, changed back to a previous fuel tank, changed the glow plug, even opened her up to see if the con rod had gotten bent/gone sloppy.

But something I was reading an old post today suggested to me that there's nothing wrong with the engine or fuel tank, etc.   The article I read today was about the Sig Twister (mine is a much abused hand-me-down Francherized Twister) and it was recommended to double the nose to reduce vibration problems.  My model has the nose doubler.  I just repaired her after ANOTHER severe ground contact (crash) and one of the repairs was to re-glue the leading edge to the fuselage.  The crash had produced a visible crack half way back to the spar and I could wiggle the front of the fuselage back and forth one sixteenth of an inch or so.  Aft of the visible crack the wing/fuselage joint appears and feels absolutely solid.   I poured in some thin Super glue and made a fillet of Sig Micro balloons mixed with Sigment over the cracked area.  The wing to fuselage joints feels as solid as can be.  But I've never had the engine vibrate violently like that before.

Is it possible that the broken nose, even though it feels as solid as ever, isn't adequately repaired/solid enough and is the cause of the violent vibration and therefore the cause of the erratic engine run as well?

Thanks,
Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba Missouri

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Engine Surging
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 05:01:40 PM »
Joe,
I have had this rough running,while running fuel with 29% all castor oil (Fox 35 with high compression head). A few things that you should consider, fuel with oil about 26% (50/50), second don't over do after-run oil (this tends to load up the case and take a while to clear with high oil % fuel), set up your tank vent (uniflow or standard) up in the free air stream to keep tank pressure constant (this works wonders particularly on profile ships).

Best,  DennisT
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 07:24:36 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 06:28:49 PM »
Thanks Dennis and Ty,

Dennis: Thanks for the picture of your uniflow vent set up.   I saw your picture on a previous post and had copied the vent set up a while back and was using it yesterday.

I'm using Sig Champion 10% nitro, 25% all castor and I add a little Klotz to bring the oil up to 26%.  This fuel has worked well for a gallon and a quart.

Ty:  I glue my tanks (metal) to 3/32" plywood.  I'll add a foam pad behind the tank and see if that helps.  It ran fine in the past without a pad, but that was also before the wing to fuselage joint broke.  Thanks for the suggestion.   I always use a fuel filter in the feed line and filter the fuel as it goes into the tank.  I checked the fuel filter yesterday.  There were a few specks in it, but it certainly wasn't clogged.

Joe Ed

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 06:45:35 PM »
You previously crashed hard? Did you check the crank to see if it got bent? I had a Fox 40 that gave me fits until I measured the crank.
Bill P.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 08:23:27 PM »
Bill,

Yes, this engine has been crashed hard several times.  Always on grass. 

How do you check for a bent crankshaft?

It seems solid in the bushing and the prop tips measure the same from a fixed point near the landing gear.

Thanks,

Joe Ed

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 06:11:22 AM »
I think its pretty hard to bend a crank on turf. The engine I posted about was purchased used and had no signs of damage but already had the bent crank.  It was a bushing engine.

Measure with a run out gauge on the prop shaft. If no gauge is available use the tip of a screwdriver at the nut end. Take the plug out to make turning easy. There are other ways to do it but that's a "fast n dirty" way to see wobble.
Bill P.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 09:34:55 AM »
     Hi Dennis:

What is a high compression head for a Fox .35?  I have a Fox S2 high compression head for a Fox .35.  I have not compared to a stock to determine if there is any difference in performance.  What if any, difference have you found?

Thanks,

Frank

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 10:37:10 AM »
Just reaching here but maybe there is allot of dried castor oil up in the piston? Do you store the plane by hanging it from the lead outs?

Motorman 8)

I leave my models sitting on their wheels and fairly level.  I use Great Plains after engine run oil.  I hadn't thought of hanging my models by the leadouts, but I think I see where you're going with it.  You are suggesting that a build up of dried castor could cause pre-ignition and thus erratic running and excess vibration.

I'll check on dried castor on the piston.

Thanks,
Joe Ed

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 11:25:11 AM »
Wish I was there to see this in person.  I first thought of something in the fuel line/needle valve assembly.  The other thought was fuel line leakage.  I have changed fuel line in planes at times and every thing started working like normal.  I also don't run a lot of oil.  22% is my max with a little castor.   Another way to check for bent crank is to see if the tips of the prop are tracking the same path.   There are so many things that could be causing your problems.  Let us know what you find. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 11:50:50 AM »

Is it possible that the broken nose, even though it feels as solid as ever, isn't adequately repaired/solid enough and is the cause of the violent vibration and therefore the cause of the erratic engine run as well?

Yes, very possible, but it's just as possible that you made it stiffer enough that the natural frequency of the nose (the frequency at which it wants to deflect) happens to line up with the running frequency of the engine. If I had a guess I would vote from the nose being less stiff, lowering the natural frequency to a bad range for the engine.

This is typically a significant issue for these ancient super-shaker engines on profiles, it's kind of amazing it doesn't happen more often.

Brett

Offline bobsrc

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 11:55:54 AM »
Some engines will vibrate at a certain rpm then smooth out at lower or higher rpm and there is nothing you can do but not run them at that rpm.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 12:48:17 PM »
Some engines will vibrate at a certain rpm then smooth out at lower or higher rpm and there is nothing you can do but not run them at that rpm.

I really experienced rpm specific vibrations with a Fox .15 steel fin.  I've never had a specific rpm vibration with this OS Max S .35 or my other OS Max S .35 in the past. 

Joe Ed

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 01:19:37 PM »
   Yes, very possible, but it's just as possible that you made it stiffer enough that the natural frequency of the nose (the frequency at which it wants to deflect) happens to line up with the running frequency of the engine. If I had a guess I would vote from the nose being less stiff, lowering the natural frequency to a bad range for the engine.

This is typically a significant issue for these ancient super-shaker engines on profiles, it's kind of amazing it doesn't happen more often.

Brett

Thanks Brett,

My plans to go to the Nats and fly beginners got cancelled for this year by circumstances outside my control.  I'm thinking of using the money I would have spent on travel and lodging for a Sig Skyray and a FP .20 or LA .25.

I've cut and pasted nearly all the threads on your Sig Skyray recommendations.  Do you still recommend shortening the tail of the Skyray by 1 1/2" and increasing the tail size to maintain the same tail volume? 

Is the early FP .20 with steel liner as good an option as the later FP .20 ABN? [Never mind.  I found the answer is "no" in a 2006 thread by Dirty Dan titled "The Recipe for 20 FPs."]   

I'm a little reluctant to get an LA .25 because, as far as I have read, it isn't possible to distinguish the less powerful LA .25 from the more powerful LA .25 until after you lay down your money.

Thanks,
Joe Ed

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:13:49 AM by Joe Ed Pederson »

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 03:54:49 PM »
Joe,
I think I know what the engine did as I had a Fox 35 that I just put together and install in a Ringmaster (backup OTS ship). While running in the engine, I had it set very rich on Brodak 10%N, 29% all castor, it just started shaking very rough. I lifted the nose to lean it a bit and it cleared, when I dropped the nose down after a bit of rich running it did it again and I lifted the nose to stop it. Seems to be a combination of low rpm and lots of oil that cause the rough running. It is very unexpected when it happened but it did clear and smooth out. I then had the ship out to the field to do a short trim flight and used my normal 10%N, 26% (50/50) oil on a 9x6 prop (just to let the engine settle in a little). I had it set a little lean but it flew the whole flight without any rough running.

Try a little smaller prop (or 1 step down in pitch) for a run or two set it for a rich 2 cycle and see if it holds without the rough running. If good start to go a bit richer until you are where you want to be lap time wise.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 04:52:23 PM »
Joe, those .25 sized planes are ok for fun but if you want to move up the ranks go on ebay and get an LA46 and build a Brodak Tanager or something that size. You'll be amazed how much better it flys.

Motorman 8)

Motorman,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm a rank beginner and I'm still working on putting three consecutive inside loops together that come close to being round much less putting three inverted loops together.  Haven't worked up the courage to even attempt a square loop. 

That being the case, I'm thinking that in a crash (I foresee many more crashes in my future) the Skyray will suffer less damage than the Tanager because the Skyray has less mass to jerk to that sudden stop.   I could be wrong about that though.

I have had my eye on the Tanager for the future.  I like her lines and I wrote in my Brodak catalog your post about the Tanager from  the thread "Beginner Pattern Profile Electric Model???"  You wrote: "It has a real stunt wing airfoil and flies well in the wind."

Joe Ed

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 05:27:41 PM »
After the crash ... did you dis-assemble the engine?  If so might the sleeve have been put in backwards?

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 05:32:50 PM »
After the crash ... did you dis-assemble the engine?  If so might the sleeve have been put in backwards?

I only took off the venturi and the back plate.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Joe Ed

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 09:24:03 PM »
Joe,
One item to check is if you have some varnish build up causing some tightness in the stroke. To check, remove the plug and slowly rotate it through and feel if it gets tight as you come up on top of the stroke or across the top. To clean out simply run several tanks of all synthetic fuel through it. Check again, sometimes takes several more runs but should get better each tank or so. Could pull the head and do the same check, might have some other material stuck up there.

Best,  DennisT

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 08:33:58 PM »
Joe,
One item to check is if you have some varnish build up causing some tightness in the stroke. To check, remove the plug and slowly rotate it through and feel if it gets tight as you come up on top of the stroke or across the top. To clean out simply run several tanks of all synthetic fuel through it. Check again, sometimes takes several more runs but should get better each tank or so. Could pull the head and do the same check, might have some other material stuck up there.

Best,  DennisT

I got a chance this evening to try again with a third fuel tank and I changed the fuel filter and tried fuel from a different jug.  No improvement.  She starts readily but surges, pays little to no attention to adjustments of the needle valve, and it took 15 turns out (Super tigre NVA) to get her to begin to back off of 2 cycle to an erratic 4 cycle where usually she would start and run a steady 4 at 11 1/2 turns out.

I looked inside the cylinder and top of the piston with an LED flashlight to see if the piston appeared to have a castor build up.  Couldn't detect anything unusual.  With the plug out I turned her over with my fingers on the crankshaft (no prop) and couldn't detect any increase in the drag near top dead center.  She is smooth all the way up and all the way down without any change in the force required to turn the crankshaft through a full rotation.

I checked the crank and with the prop pulled forward I could get the prop tip to deflect 1/64" (just guessing).  Thought I had the problem solved (bent crank).  So I mounted my other Max S .35 that was running fine the last time I used it and it had the exact same prop tip deflection.

Tomorrow I will see if the other motor runs the way it should on this model or does the same thing the first motor has been doing. I'm expecting to find the problem is the fuselage damage and repair is the source of the problem.

Can't think of much else to try.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

Joe Ed

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 08:52:36 PM »
  Hey Joe;
    If you have to back a ST needle valve out that far, you are sucking air through a crack somewhere. Since this a crashed engine, you may distorted the case and it has a small crack somewhere. I crashed a Nobler with a OS .35S one time on the bottom of an outside loop. With the cylinder pointing up, I thought I was looking good and didn't ruin the engine. When I got the airplane home and pulled the engine to check it out, it wouldn't turn over. I pulled the back plate off, and the rod was about half way or more off the crank pin. I pushed it back on and all seemed fine until I turned it over a few turns slowly and watch the rod work it's way off the crank pin again. In comparing the engine side by side with another engine, I could see the problem The impact, even at a shallow angle like 30 to 40 degrees, distorted the case and the crank was out of square with the cylinder> There was not a crack anywhere that I could see, but the case was ruined. I think the only good parts I got out of that engine was the head, back plate, venturi/NVA, and oddly enough, the crank shaft was still straight!! The cylinder liner was distorted and out of round, but in checking the piston with a mic, it showed it was still round. I used a lot of that stuff the put another engine back together that needed those parts. The moral of the story is, the OS.35 -S was like the Fox .35 in that it was a light weight case, and not much meat there to absorb shock and impact. Something is distorted somewhere that is leaking crank case vacuum. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 10:26:51 PM »
Your idea to swap out the engine and see if the problem follows the plane or follows the engine is a classic plan.  If you don't have a second plane, a test stand run is also an idea to see if the same needle setting is required, etc.

Peter

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 08:02:08 AM »
15 turns out on the nv...you likely have a plug in the fuel delivery system or like already posted an air leak. Have you pulled the nv and shot fuel through the spray bar to clear crud?
Bill P.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 07:05:48 PM »
In the one brief 10 minutes between rain, I ran the other OS Max S .35 on the repaired Francherized Twister.  Same fuel tank, fuel line, and fuel filter.  Same exact results and same exact problems: excessive vibration, wouldn't hold a needle and didn't respond to needle valve adjustments.

Therefore the problem (at least in the case of this second motor) is either a) in the fuel tank, fuel line, or fuel filter or. b)  in bad harmonics from the fuselage break/repair making the fuel foam.

I made a test stand this evening and will try running the motors on the test stand with the same fuel tank, fuel line, and fuel filter tomorrow.

Bill P.: I took the NVA out of the first motor and it was perfectly clean and unobstructed.  This NVA is also new and never flown (and therefore never bent in a crash).

I don't think this is the problem, but what is the shelf life of fuel stored in heated/air conditioned basement?  I bought my fuel from Sig in the Spring of 2018.  I had to wait for them to mix up a batch so the fuel was fresh when I got it.

The thought crossed my mind this evening to check the thread on changing the Twister to electric.  I have a hard time throwing flyable models away.

Joe Ed

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 08:09:30 PM »
  OK, you have repeatable result with different engine on the same model/ Check the mounts to see that they are flat and parallel. If they are not, you can distort the crank case when tightening things down. In your next test, change only one thing at a time, so you know what the fix is when it happens. The other thing in common with the two engines is the needle valve assembly. It may be new, but something may be amiss with it. The biggest thing standing out at me is the failure to respond to a needle adjustment. You are still sucking air somewhere. If you store your fuel in a steady temperature environment, it should be fine. Look that NVA and venturi over real good, make sure the o-ring seals and such.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 09:47:26 PM »
OS needle valves have a habit of fracturing internally. The tapered end can float back and forth.
You can guess what I would try.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 03:33:17 AM »
            I would put your thumb on the venturi and see if it's wiggling in the case. The o-ring underneath is very susceptible to being squashed. I believe I read you took this out. Sometimes, this even needs to be doubled or a thicker o-ring used. When squashed, the venturi rocks a bit in the case and the hole becomes enlarged around the needle valve area.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2019, 09:07:20 AM »
Fuel lasts a really, really long time.  Twenty year old fuel is fine.  If anything, the fuel gets a little stronger when some of the methanol evaporates, leaving behind more nitro.  The castor oil never evaporates.  If the castor did evaporate, our "flying clothes" would release the castor oil in the clothes dryer.  Instead, myself and others I know launder separately.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2019, 07:38:29 AM »
Well, the problem is isolated to the damaged/repaired fuselage to wing joint which caused bad harmonics and severe vibrations from the engine's normal (for OS Max S .35s) vibrations.    The motor that seemed to have so many problems ran perfectly on a test stand with the same fuel tank, fuel lines, and fuel filter.  Just like old times again. y1

I sincerely thank everyone for all the suggestions.  If I have problems in the future with engines not running right I will have a lot more ideas of what could go wrong and cause problems. H^^

Joe Ed Pedereson
Cuba, MO

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2019, 09:35:50 AM »
Just to add...about fuel....Tightly sealed OPAQUE containers of 40 year old Dukes fuel and Missile mMist can still be good/////  fairly frequently someone buys a pint of Cox fuel from the 70s.....some minor rust to filter out but the 25% nitro stuff still runs a .049 very well

ALL atmosphere Air has water in it.....Methanol is hydroscopic...it readily absorbs the H2O
Nitro Methane is a relatively stable chemical but is easily deteriorated into sub compounds by UV radiation (sunlight)

Dark amber or steel containers are prefered....That it is sold usually in clear plastic jugs,  is simply for cost and convenience... MOST customers by a Gallon of fuel to USE...NOT store for a decade

My last two batches of Nitro from TORKO came in White OPAQUE plastic jugs

I thought this different from my 2014~2015 buys ( in typical clear plastic jugs...)

So I sent an e-mail to TORKO....the answer I got was More and more customers were afraid of no nitro in the future so they were stocking UP.....  read into that a tad.....
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2019, 10:20:02 AM »
Thanks for posting the results. After seeing all the things you did it didn't leave much else.

About fuel life. 25 yrs ago I had a chemist at work call his chemist contact at Dupont Labs to see what life of glow fuel was. Basically so long they hadn't found the lifespan of the components yet and mixing for glow fuel wouldn't make a difference. He said uv degraded life span so keep it sealed in a container and store it in the dark. I just finished a gal jug of Omega rc fuel that was opened 20+ yrs ago, capped and stored in a storage cabinet. I normally use it for purging tanks, cleaning, etc but decided to see if it would start a couple engines. They (fox, mccoy, magnum) fired up on the test stand and ran fine.
Bill P.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2019, 10:32:13 PM »
Yep , the rubber O ring , on the intake , despite being fearfully modern & built after the war , as often as not has gone hard, cracked , and desintigrates on remooveal .

Therefore a new O ring wont do any harm .

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2019, 11:13:33 AM »
Yep , the rubber O ring , on the intake , despite being fearfully modern & built after the war , as often as not has gone hard, cracked , and desintigrates on remooveal .

Therefore a new O ring wont do any harm .

It won't, but it also has nothing to do with this issue. Even if they leak, it doesn't make much difference, and certainly doesn't cause massive vibration.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 09:43:14 PM »
That may be so , but as someone brought up the seals , its not entirely erelephant .
About as important as sealing the N V A .
Not all intakes fit the case ' leak free ' . In fact some double O Ringed ( above & below ) the ST peripheral jet type  .
standard early OS 35S type are hardly a precision fit in the case , You get the odd O ring thats well past it .

If a O ring has hardened up , split , cracked , or has a chunk out , its unlikely to be air tight .
Automotively , a intake leak is about the fastest way to wreck a motor . Some relevance even though were not running V eights .

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2019, 07:02:22 PM »
Everyone,

Whoooo Buddy! [to borrow from Shug].     I mounted an OS Max .40 LA on the same Francherized Twister above and it ran as smooth as glass.   Interestingly the mounting bolt spacing is, for all intents and purposes, the same as the OS Max S .35 the .40 L is replacing. 

I'm elated!  I won't have to throw the F. Twister away!  I doubt the old model is as happy as I am cause it's the one who is going to keep hitting the ground at speed.

The .40 LA is stock with the exception of Randy Smith Venturi and Tower Hobbies muffler.  It has the OS remote NVA on plastic backplate and stock OS spray bar, OS #6 (A3) plug.  It seems to have hardly been run so I'm using an APC 10 x4 at first.

Whoooo Buddy!

Joe Ed Pederson

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2019, 10:11:48 PM »
  Well, bring that sucker up to Buder this Saturday. I'll watch the weather. We'll have you doing the complete beginner pattern before you go home!!!!  Bring the old OS engine with you and let me take a gander at it.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here