News:

• April 26, 2024, 08:59:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ...engine storage...  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
...engine storage...
« on: September 23, 2019, 01:05:22 PM »

Got several L A 46 engines as well as some L A 40's Aero Tiger 36's, Thunder Tiger 36's that I am putting up in storage.
 What is a good oil for them?  I'm thinking Auto matic trans fluid as well as after run air tool oil, as I don't want them to "bind up" so I am looking for suggestions...   Thanks, Bubba
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ...engine storage...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 03:37:49 PM »
Either ATF or Air Tool Oil, about six drops in the intake.  Flip a few times.  Place in a plastic bag with a paper towel around the engine.  For extra credit, add a drop on the crankshaft threads and run the nut over it, then brush a few drops over all the head and backplate bolts.

Getting the castor off an engine takes more than running out a prime.  Burned on castor will last for decades.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 05:29:15 PM »

This reply is to Ty Marcucci, why don't we "store" my Aero Tiger in your Cavalier, but let both of them live in my shop?  I think that would work well...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Online Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 09:30:31 PM »
I'm in the process of storing most of my engines which have always been run with all castor fuels so some are quite gummed up. First step is flooding them with acetone to dissolve as much of the gummy castor as possible and making sure it gets to the bearings and that the top end of the rod is free to slide. Then I give them about a 5 minute 4 stroking run with a blend of methanol and 25% Mobil Jet Oil II which should clear out any remaining traces of old oil. The jet oil is like an EP version of ATF except it mixes with methanol. So far I've treated ringed engines, like my Dooling 29, lapped iron, ABC, ABN, AAC and Norvel AAO.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 09:45:33 PM »
Yep , you definately need to do something to flush the nitro residue . or the bearings'll rot .
And the Wrist Pin . In case you thought you were o.k. as it didnt have bearings . Off the ball race persuasion .

Tom Vieira

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 06:14:22 AM »
i try to make sure the motor is "run out" of fuel complete by starting it off a prime, then continue to flip it a bit until it stops the "farting".

remove glow plug, put a few drops of ATF or air tool oil down the plug hole, a few drops down the intake, and flip it over a bunch.  replace the plug, flip a couple more times, then plug the intake and exhaust with paper towl making sure the piston isn't anywhere near TDC.  this assumes it's in a plane.

if not, odds are it hasn't run in a while, or may have come off a wrecked bird.  same thing, but it goes in the box it came out of.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 10:18:47 AM »

I don't understand about the plastic bags, won't that cause rust on the steel parts? Thanks
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 12:53:50 PM »
The idea of the plastic bag is to isolate the item from the outside air.  The paper towel around the engine cuts down on UV, also serving to absorb some of the moisture in the bag.

Some of the Japanese engine makers, especially Saito, do a really good job of oiling, bagging and boxing their engines.

That foam that Fox used is awful for storing engines.  Deteriorates, leaving the owner to try to get it off, hoping it's not sticky.

Plastic bags don't last forever, either, especially if the storage area is not temperature controlled.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 09:37:46 PM »
Hmmm...  I just bought a new Food Saver vacuum sealer today.  Anybody ever vacuum sealed an engine?

Mark

Offline Abi

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 12:04:46 PM »
Try Marvel Mystery Oil or Marver Air Tool Oil. While chemically identical, Mystery Oil has a pink tint that adds color and smell to the oil. Either one acceptable.

Use FoodSaver vacuum bags for each engine. It evacuates all air and moisture from the bag allowing the engine to be stored indefinitely. No rusting is possible.
Abi
السلام عليكم

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 12:26:54 PM »
Try Marvel Mystery Oil or Marver Air Tool Oil. While chemically identical, Mystery Oil has a pink tint that adds color and smell to the oil. Either one acceptable.

Use FoodSaver vacuum bags for each engine. It evacuates all air and moisture from the bag allowing the engine to be stored indefinitely. No rusting is possible.

Marvel (or any other brand) Air Tool Oil is a potentially good choice. Marvel Mystery Oil, 3-in-1, etc, probably not. Unless you vacuum-pack them - which is a GREAT idea that I had never considered - Marvel Mystery Oil will turn to Marvel Mystery glue after a few years, and you will have to take some extreme measures to get it unstuck again. Even air tool oil is not immune to this, but much less prone to it than anything else.

Vacuum-packing them is an amazing notion, and if you do that, and keep the oil from drying out or oxidizing, it's entirely possible that almost any oil would work, and not turn to sludge or varnish in a few years like most of them do.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 12:49:49 PM »
   As Brett stated, regular Marvel Mystery Oil WILL congeal over time, at least as bad or worse than castor. I have been a victim of that mistake. ATF has detergents and rust inhibitors in it and is my first choice if I'm going to oil up and engine. Having worked in that business for ten years and seeing old tranny parts being refurbished and rebuilt, I don't recall ever seeing anything gummy. Vacuum bagging sounds good, but I would wrap the engine with paper towels to pad it since there are sharp edges and pointy spots that may poke through the bag. I don't know how thick they are. I wouldn't suck the bag down all the way either to help avoid that issue.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here