News:

• May 06, 2024, 09:23:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine/ Prop Combination  (Read 595 times)

Offline Tom Blodgett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Engine/ Prop Combination
« on: January 17, 2008, 10:24:11 AM »
I am in the process of building my Vector 40; it will be powered by an OS 40LA converted for control line use. I’m not sure if I will be using the stock muffler or a less restrictive type. My question is: I would like to use a 3-bladed prop with this combination but I’m not sure were to begin. Have any of you used a 3-bladed prop with this engine/plane combination?

Thanks,

Tom
AMA 52863 (Since 1974)

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
Re: Engine/ Prop Combination
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:58:57 AM »
OK. So the first question becomes, "Why?" Because it's sexy? Because you think it will control your flight characteristics?

Then, How are you going to run your engine? High speed (Pipe style?) 2-4 break? Will it be modded by a stunt rebuilder?

All these questions, and more need to be addressed before an answer can be reliably answered. That said, I run Thunder Tigers on pipes, and Aero-Tigers both on and off. All are basically run in the higher speed ranges i.e. approx 10,000 rpm. I use Bill Lee 3 bladers, Bolly 12 X 4N 3 blades (cut down to 11 1/2), and Bolly 12 X 4 two blade (cut to 11 1/4), all depending on what works best for the engine, airplane, line length combination. I often modify my two blade props to 3.75 pitch if I need to up the rpm, and slow down the aircraft speed.

I sugest you contact our moderator for an in depth conversation regarding you needs...

Ward-o
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Tom Blodgett

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 02:34:30 PM »
"I sugest you contact our moderator for an in depth conversation regarding you needs...

Ward-o"

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
AMA 52863 (Since 1974)

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 03:14:24 PM »
" ??? ??? ??? ??? "

No reason to get excited! Randy Smith, our moderator on the Engine Basics subsection, is an expert on this stuff. I guess we "old-timers" on this site sometimes forget that what seems obvious to us isn't!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here