Engine basics > Engine set up tips

Engine get tight when prop nut is tightned.

<< < (2/4) > >>

frank mccune:
          Hello All:

Thanks to all of those who replied!

After a night’s rest, I made the following observations:

The p&c still have a great seal.

I do not know if this engine was recently assembled as I received it with an unknown history

I pulled the prop driver off three other HP 40 engines and I noticed that the front bearing is recessed about 030” in the case. The problem engine has the front bearing flush with the case. Perhaps it is time to pull the front bearing to determine why the bearing is not fully seating.

I “found” a steel shim that will fit over the crankshaft and inside of the case  It is about 030” thick. Does this belong in the bearing assembly If so, where

How does one remove the crankshaft and bearings from the front housing of this engine

Tia,

Frank McCune

FLOYD CARTER:
Others will give advise on removing front bearing.  I have done this several times by heating the front of the crankcase with a propane torch.  Then when the crankcase is expanded, pull the bearing out with a piece of piano wire bent with a hook at the end.

pmackenzie:
Don't remove any bearings.

Put a prop on it, heat up the case to about "spit" hot, and while it is still hot tap on the end of the crank shaft with a mallet to seat the front bearing.

Tighten up the prop again, repeat as required.

You can also tap on the back of the crankshaft to seat the rear bearing. Works better if the rod has been removed.
 I have various  little delrin tools that fit in the case and have a hole in them to clear the crank pin to make this easier.
I made mine after I saw Henry Nelson install the bearings in one of my N15RV this way.

If this all fails then you might be missing the spacer that was previously mentioned.

I know ideally you would press on the outer races to install both front and rear bearings, but without special tools you do what you can.
Pressing from the inner races this way can (and probably does) lead to damage to balls and races, but in my experience this is not an issue.

(flame suit on :) )

Pat MacKenzie

frank mccune:
          I got it back together and it appears to be correct as there is no drag or noise from the bearings.  I left the spacer, shim, out as it appeared to prevent it from working correctly.  I will test it on a test stand to determine how well it runs.

Next test is to compare the HP engines against the LA .40  and .46 engines.  I have seen the OS engines run, and they run very well!

Thanks for all of the help,

Frank McCune

Elwyn Aud:
Some of the PAW diesels have this problem and it mentions it in the insructions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version