News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:45:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine for a United  (Read 3094 times)

Offline Chris Keller

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Engine for a United
« on: March 31, 2011, 07:20:29 PM »
Hi all,
Need some help choosing a motor for a Brodak United Kit I'm about to start. 54" wingspan 630 sq.in.  I would like to give the b40 a try to get a more traditional stunt run, but not sure that its powerful enough.  Really I'm looking for a nice 2-4 break, but i know that a la46 will power it nice, cheap and reliably. Im inclined to use an la 46 because the two I have are easy starting and solid as a rock. I also enjoy the remote nv. Is it true that these engines have the same bolt pattern and approximate length? That would be a pleasant surprise - get a b40 and if its not enough, just swap in a la. Any suggestions? Id also be open to other suggestions. I really don't want to spend too much either. My flying doesn't quite justify a $250 custom stunt engine. Thanks!

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Engine for a United
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:52:26 PM »
  I think that the LA 46 would be your best bet.  That much wing would be a struggle for the B-40.
  If you want the 4-2-4 type run, you might try putting in a couple of head gaskets and running an oil rich fuel mixture.  nother choice would be a Lew Woolard modified Fox 40 (silver Foxx).  They can be had cheaper than the $200+  (I think)

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Online Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 04:24:29 AM »
The United is a fairly large ship, so I'm going with a ST 51 to pull it effortlessly in
all weather.  If PJ can put a .61 in a Nobler, certainly the .51 isn't too much for
a United!  Short of that, listen to Bigiron, he speaks honest info!
ama 72090

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 01:25:09 PM »
Hi all,
Need some help choosing a motor for a Brodak United Kit I'm about to start. 54" wingspan 630 sq.in.  I would like to give the b40 a try to get a more traditional stunt run, but not sure that its powerful enough.  Really I'm looking for a nice 2-4 break, but i know that a la46 will power it nice, cheap and reliably. Im inclined to use an la 46 because the two I have are easy starting and solid as a rock. I also enjoy the remote nv. Is it true that these engines have the same bolt pattern and approximate length? That would be a pleasant surprise - get a b40 and if its not enough, just swap in a la. Any suggestions? Id also be open to other suggestions. I really don't want to spend too much either. My flying doesn't quite justify a $250 custom stunt engine. Thanks!

Enya 40SS
Enya 40 XZS
Enya 45SS
OS 40 LA
OS 46 LA
ST 51
Magnum 52
Enya 50SS
Saito 40

These are just a few more

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 04:45:52 PM »
Im not advocating everyone put a .61 in - I am aiming for a specific engine run.

If your comfortable running the LA46 then thats a great choice.
One statement that concerns me :

" My flying doesn't quite justify a $250 custom stunt engine. " - A good / Great Engine setup will help improve your flying with more power, ease of use, reliable time after time runs.

Dont be too judgemental on your own flying skills, everyone started somewhere. Treat yourself , a great stunt engine can be swapped from plane to plane, randy's PA's are exceptional in run and build.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Jim z

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 04:51:09 PM »
 Marvin is right about the Silver foxx .40.
 Also the Enya 40 xzs would work well, I have a couple
 and they are powerful , smooth and usually a one
 flip start.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »
Im not advocating everyone put a .61 in - I am aiming for a specific engine run.
Can you elaborate on the "specific engine run" you are aiming for.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 07:58:41 PM »
low engine rpm - strong vertical drive, constant speed, strong 4 stroke classic sound. ( Classic sound my .61 in a deep 4stroke sounds very impressive from outside the circle - I think this presents better than say a 36 or 40 on a pipe - Classic ships with pipes fly just as well, but I dont think present as nicely acoustically from a classic perpective ( IMHO )

Im looking for :mainly slow lap speeds with constant drive and power on tap. -

Flying in any conditions other than perfect or slight breeze with a classic design is alot harder to maintain consistant shape production. Strong wind especially. I want to be able to maintain a low lap speed and no speed difference - something the classic ships require.

With a modern design flying in wind is alot easier so less is dependant on the engine setup to help acheive this.

Again to answer the original question : I think LA 46 Will suit you down to the ground.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 09:54:28 PM »
630 squares?  Sounds like a job for my Trouble Star 60!
Steve

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 01:10:33 PM »
low engine rpm - strong vertical drive, constant speed, strong 4 stroke classic sound. ( Classic sound my .61 in a deep 4stroke sounds very impressive from outside the circle - I think this presents better than say a 36 or 40 on a pipe - Classic ships with pipes fly just as well, but I dont think present as nicely acoustically from a classic perpective ( IMHO )
Im looking for :mainly slow lap speeds with constant drive and power on tap. -
Flying in any conditions other than perfect or slight breeze with a classic design is alot harder to maintain consistant shape production. Strong wind especially. I want to be able to maintain a low lap speed and no speed difference - something the classic ships require.
So what are the slowest reliable lap speeds you have been able to get with your setup.  About the best I have been able to do is 5.3.  On ocassion when it is dead calm I will open up the needle to a solid four run of about 5.6 laps, that is a blast to fly patterns that slow.  Would love to have a set-up that can handle that all the time.  I did read once about an expert flyer at the Nats with a setup running 5.9 laps.  I could get use to that..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 05:59:57 PM »
Lap times to a certain extent are irrelivant.

With the nobler I was running on 58.5 foot lines - so they were VERY short.

I couldn't tell you the lap times I just went by feel, but they were probably at 5.2 - 5.3 - just remember what length Im using.. thats slow for short lines. But it presents well..

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 12:44:44 AM »
Hi Chris,

Since you have a couple OS .46LA, you are use to them, and can get them to run right, I would go with them.

If it isn't a "porker", the Brodak .40 would probably fly it fine.  Bob Lampione used a Fox. 35 in the original! LL~  (but these days, "more is better")

I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned an Aero Tiger .36......

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 08:29:33 PM »
Hi Chris,

Since you have a couple OS .46LA, you are use to them, and can get them to run right, I would go with them.

If it isn't a "porker", the Brodak .40 would probably fly it fine.  Bob Lampione used a Fox. 35 in the original! LL~  (but these days, "more is better")

I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned an Aero Tiger .36......

Big Bear

The Aero Tiger 36 AAC would pull it very easy, and is one of the most "cheapest" engines around if you compare how long they last, and the fact you just flip and fly yeay after year, many people have gone over 1500 flights on them
And they will put out more power than a ST 46 in the Classic planes without all the shake

Randy

Offline Chris Keller

• 2016 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 08:31:32 PM »
Thanks for all the replies - I have some thinking to do.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 05:02:20 PM »
IMHO, if you can swing it, the Aero Tiger .36 would be perfect.  Run it as Randy says and it will last forever, plus it has a totally awesome stunt run.  I have run two on them in different models, and couldn't ask for anything more.  If I had more of them, and weren't such a "plane junkie", they would be in all my models of that basic size.  Other engines work well, but none in that "size" do as good a job, IMHO.  Billy Werwage and Bobby Hunt have won numerous VSC's now with the Aero Tiger .36.  (and no, I don't get any kick backs from Randy! LOL!! LL~ LL~ )
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 07:40:25 PM »
If Randy has one PA40 ul  re would work real well
ALAN E BUCK

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral