News:

• May 20, 2024, 12:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Ball Bearing high grade replacement suppliers?  (Read 892 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Engine Ball Bearing high grade replacement suppliers?
« on: January 24, 2020, 09:37:17 AM »
Guys,
Besides Boca Bearing who else is a retailer of high grade replacement engine ball bearings? I've been looking at the bearings available from Boca and would like a higher grade then their Econ series but want steel balls and retainer. I don't like plastic in bearings and not sure if ceramic balls at least for the main rear bearing is a good application with the vibration and heat it may be exposed to (think ST60). I know many have used the Econ bearing and been happy but I would like a step up just because I want too. Any other quality suppliers out there?

Best,   DennisT

Tom Vieira

Re: Engine Ball Bearing high grade replacement suppliers?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 01:57:17 PM »
Timken.....  NSK....

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 09:13:47 PM »
Agree with MM. The polymite ball cage will be superior to a stamped, riveted metal cage. Especially if you are running at high speeds. At stunt engine speeds, any retainer should work.

Hybrid bearings (ceramic balls) are not really suitable for general model use in my opinion, regardless of price, or perceived zoot-ness. See the prior post on bearings for some discussion. It's not the heat--the hybrid will be superior in this regard, but they do not like shock loading.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/engine-set-up-tips/boca-bearing-sale/msg568915/#msg568915

If you want to feel like you have upgraded then consider some of the Swiss miniature precision bearings. One such company is WIB. They have an on-line catalog. Their phone number is (+41) 26 919 11 22. Not sure how you're going to get your hands on these--but they were preferred, for example, in the Nelson racing engines.*  If you find a source, then I'm interested, too....

Dave

*--Added note: For really proper operation, you will need to know the installed clearances while considering the press-fits. Different engines have been set up with different amounts of interference fits by the designer. The more interference designed in, the more clearance the bearing will need. They do this by selecting balls to go with the rings. I've used quite a few BOCA bearings with no issues--but not on Nelsons. Henry had a tighter press fit and specified an WIB bearing with a special P6L23 clearance. That is to say, they have 23 microns (.0009") of clearance at lab temperatures, with unrestrained races.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:11:15 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 03:53:20 AM »
Another good thing with PEEK, phenolic and other polymer ball retainers is that they can usually be dismantled for inspection and cleaning.
People often misundetstand the physical properties of ceramic materials for balls. When used correctly, they outperform full steel bearings, there is really no reason to worry about shock resistance. But like with everything, there are good and bad ones available. For our use hey are mostly overkill, though.
WIB is indeed the best, we use them. But at least with special sizes and clearances there is a minimum order of 100 if I remember right. L

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 06:10:12 AM »
Lauri,
Do you have a web site or dealer that carries the WIB bearings in the sizes we use? Here is WIB's web site: http://wib-bearings.com/en/wib/

Best,     DennisT

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 07:32:27 AM »
Not really, Dennis. Robbie has good contact with them, and I think they are mostly made to special order.
By the way, does anyone have drawings or knowledge about making ball retainers? I should make machined phenolic cages to a cl speed engine. I have some drawings from Russia but it would be nice to understand the reason for certain details.  L

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 09:04:07 AM »
I just freshened up my Fox MKVII (has the same OD crank as the Nelson 36) that had a wet front nose when running. I purchased the BOCA bearing front and rear ceramic bearing kit with seal. The front bearing has a green seal on it that I install facing out to the prop. The results are a very smooth feeling, and running engine with no more fuel poring out the front end. I mounted the MKVII in the test stand using a APC 8X4 prop and bladder tank to run in the new bearings. The MKVII would sing past 23000 RPMs with little effort on 10% nitro fuel and no vibrations. I'm very happy with the results, but I will have to keep a close eye on them as per Dave's warning.
Al

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 02:24:30 PM »
I am rebuilding an ST60 and want to get some better bearing. Looking at the Boca Bearing site (https://www.bocabearings.com/products/bearing-applications) for the ST (OLD) 60. They have listed they have several bearing packages to choose from. The basic package is the SKU: #ENK-044, this is the Economy chrome steel front and rear bear set, the balls and race is from CHROME STEEL 52100 the retainer is listed as CHROME STEEL, they do not give a number. The ball rating is 10 the ABEC/ISO RATING is ABEC#1/ISOP0. Price is $16.47.

The next package is SKU: #ENK-044HS all is the same except the retainer is made from POLYMITE PLASTIC, these bearings are said to be able to handle 15% higher rpm, the fit is listed as C3, price is $27.30. I think the only difference is the retainer material, what does this do for us in stunt?

The next package is SKU: #ENK-044C & SKU: #ENK-044C & SKU: #ENK-044C-HP, these are both Ceramic balls and
POLYMITE PLASTIC retainer, same ABEC rating but the ball rating is 5. Price is $83 -86. This does not seem to be worth it for stunt?

Next is the SKU: #ENK-044RS This is all chrome steel same as the economy spec is the same ball rating is the same just cost $18.45 the RS designation is for rubber seals, does this matter for us?

Last one worth looking at is SKU: #ENK-044RSHS, this is the same as the RS with a POLYMITE PLASTIC retainer, fit is C3, price $30.52. Gee this retainer thing must be pretty special???

Having looked at all this I don't see anything on the site that tells me why any of the steel bearing sets are worth buying over the Economy set. One thing in the description of all the high speed sets the fit is a C3, which I understand is in the middle of the fit rating (C2 -C5 loosest), maybe the fit is worth it?

Best,    DennisT

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 02:48:28 PM »
I've had good luck with these guys:  http://www.rcbearings.com/glow-engine-bearings/

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 08:01:36 PM »
Dennis,

It all depends on what you need. For a ST60 that will not turn up that fast and probably will be run with lots of oil going thru it (at least the rear bearing), and should not get that hot due to the way people run a ST60 for stunt, the materials choices are simply not that critical.

52100 Chrome steel is a standard for the bearing industry. If you do not have problems with corrosion (and you don't with a stunt motor that is getting dosed with castor oil) it will perform better at lower cost than the stainless bearings.

Practically any ball cage (ball retainer) will work as long as it is properly manufactured and installed. This could be a brass cage, or a steel cage or....  The ST60 rpm is not very fast which is why you are using it. If you had an engine that was turning 20,000+ rpm, you would be more interested in a lighter weight, higher damped one piece non-metallic cage.

Some of the synthetic oil bases used in industry will attack some of the non-metallic retainers. Oils you are going to use in a ST60 should not cause concerns.

Absolutely do not use shields or seals in the main bearing. These will prevent proper lubrication. I'd be surprised if any BOCA sets for model engines would give you a main bearing with these. (But if you are buying your own individual part numbers...now you have to take care of this detail.)  If you worry about fuel leakage out the front of the engine, get a front bearing with one seal and put that on the outside. The crank to case fit near the front of the engine is what is supposed to control the leakage out the front. The tiny extra amount of drag caused by a seal on a stunt motor that is operating well below its power potential is of zero consequence.

A C3 fit is generally a starting point and is commonly stocked. That much clearance should work fine in a ST60 as far as I know--although I have not replaced bearings in an ST60 myself.

Probably more important than buying bearings with more "zoot" is getting them installed so that they are seated, free, and not damaged during the process, or contaminated. For example, never apply installation loads "across the balls."  When done and the assembly is cooled, check for endplay. Ideally, there would be none when checked with a dial indicator. Then, after you run the engine, check it again. If at any time you can feel the balls, you are set up too tight. Either the case/crank dimensions have caused you to duplex the pair too tight, or the radial clearance wasn't sufficient. These are directly related, and not independent. Go look for a diagram showing contact angles to understand how.

Hope these comments help a bit,

Dave

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 04:37:39 PM »
I have had no issues with the cheapest economy bearings from Boca Bearing. Stunt engines are particularly undemanding on bearings (with some notable exceptions), so just about anything that will fit is probably OK. Do not go for the really tight fit classes, it is unnecessary and just adds running drag and heat. And it is particularly important to have very free movement through the bottom end of the travel for 4-2 break engines.

Put in after-run oil so they don't rust, and more-or-less anything will work.

Brett

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 06:48:38 PM »
MM,
I think the one we want for the small case engine (ST OLD 60) is - SKU: #ENK-044HP. In this kit the front bearing OD is 19 instead of 22. Since Boca Bearing is not to far south of me I might just take the block with me and make sure the bearings are the correct size.

Best,    DennisT

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 07:26:27 PM »
MM,
I think the one we want for the small case engine (ST OLD 60) is - SKU: #ENK-044HP. In this kit the front bearing OD is 19 instead of 22. Since Boca Bearing is not to far south of me I might just take the block with me and make sure the bearings are the correct size.

Best,    DennisT

Or just measure it with a micrometer. They are standard metric sizes, as far as I know. The last time I got ST46 bearings, I walked into the bearing shop (King Bearing on Rengstorff Ave in Mountain View), handed it to the kid behind the counter, he walked directly to a bin, grabbed them then walked straight back to me, and says "$26" (for 3 fronts and 3 rears), total about 15 seconds. He didn't do more than glance at them.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 02:28:26 PM »
Guys,
Besides Boca Bearing who else is a retailer of high grade replacement engine ball bearings? I've been looking at the bearings available from Boca and would like a higher grade then their Econ series but want steel balls and retainer. I don't like plastic in bearings and not sure if ceramic balls at least for the main rear bearing is a good application with the vibration and heat it may be exposed to (think ST60). I know many have used the Econ bearing and been happy but I would like a step up just because I want too. Any other quality suppliers out there?

Best,   DennisT

I have  many hundreds  of  bearings in stock,  NOT  all motors,  but  many. Also  phenolic or polymite  retainers  are  NOT bad and  are  not  something  you should  worry about
If I can help please  ask
also  Boca  does have  maNY combinations  of  types of  bearings  steel  chrome  ceramic, hybrid

Randy

Offline John Given

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 09:08:21 AM »
I just freshened up my Fox MKVII (has the same OD crank as the Nelson 36) that had a wet front nose when running. I purchased the BOCA bearing front and rear ceramic bearing kit with seal. The front bearing has a green seal on it that I install facing out to the prop. The results are a very smooth feeling, and running engine with no more fuel poring out the front end. I mounted the MKVII in the test stand using a APC 8X4 prop and bladder tank to run in the new bearings. The MKVII would sing past 23000 RPMs with little effort on 10% nitro fuel and no vibrations. I'm very happy with the results, but I will have to keep a close eye on them as per Dave's warning.
Al

Do you remember the numbers for the bearings for the Mk. VII?

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2020, 09:18:29 AM »
Do you remember the numbers for the bearings for the Mk. VII?
Kit# ENK-038C-HP
AL

Offline John Given

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 11:21:40 AM »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here