Blank
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 08:18:07 PM by Air Master »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Electric Starter with VECO Aluminum Spinner
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 11:59:21 PM »
I'd not suggest using an electric finger on one of the "spun" Froom spinners, or most of the plastic spinners, but I'm sure some do it.
I've only used one Veco spinner...it was 100% die cast, and would be zero problem. I would add that there are various shapes of drive cones, at least for Sullivan starters, and IMO, a needle nose spinner should provide a better "grip" than a more blunt spinner. I'm pretty sure Howard likely has a graph detailing that principle, but it's just my gut feeling.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 04:33:02 PM »
I would be very hesitant to use an electric starter, even on a die-cast Veco spinner, just because there is not that much keep it from sliding backwards over the backplate. Modern spinners have the cone suspended on the backplate, the Veco and a lot of older spinners, the cone goes over the backplate.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 05:03:48 PM »
   Sullivan makes a super soft and grippy cone that is what I use in my electric fingers. There is a Veco spinner on the Fierce Arrow I have that belonged to Mike Gretz, and I have used it on that model with no problems. I normally hand start everything, but some times you just gotta grind it. Just be gentle and use short bursts on it. If it's gonna start at all, it should do it with short bursts of the starter.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 03:01:50 PM »
Brett, your statement is exactly what my concern is.  I took extra time to cut the spinner to have a glove fit on the prop to hopefully keep the spinner from moving.

But I don't think you want the cone touching the prop at any time, that will tend to dig into it and weaken right where the forces are the greatest.

These spinners were designed in a time where routine use of a starter was extremely rare, like speed, you started stunt engines with your finger.

My wish was to find a modern spinner that has a flat back plate, but couldn't.  All the Dubro and Goldberg spinners have an inset and would not work.   

All the spinners I have, modern or otherwise, have flat backplates too - like Tru-Turn and Randy's, and even the Zingali. Of course you could make a spacer for a DuBro (maybe 1/8" to .150?) out of 1/8 or 3mm plywood and that would line it up

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 07:42:32 PM »
    Sounds like you were looking for a flat back plate plastic spinner? The only ones like that I know of were the SIG plastic spinners. SIG is closing them out but I think they are out of 2" diameter units.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 01:05:59 PM »
The hobby shop had some flat back spinners, but they were for electric. 

Here's a whole website full of them:

http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=%%cart_id%%&keywords=tt20&ppinc=1aspinners130&maxp=30

I am sure Randy has them in great abundance, too.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 08:55:21 AM »
Thanks Brett.   How are they different than my antique VECO spinner?  I had one of them on my 1/4 scale CAP 232 with a G62.  The only difference is the spinner has an allen bolt to hold it on instead of a aluminum bolt and threaded nose piece.   

The application would be the same; that the spinner would rotate until it is stopped by the back edge of the prop.  Am I wrong?

Unless it is loose, the cone will turn the backplate, which is a very close machined fit. The difference with the Veco is that the cone bears directly on the backplate, rather than the Veco, where the cone fits over the backplate. Push on the Veco, and it wants to push further over the backplate, the only thing stopping it are 6 very narrow ribs. Those 6 small contact patches are the only way tor transfer the torque to the backplate, so when you turn it, they slip, and the cone hits the rear edge of the prop.

The TruTurn and other modern spinners can't get pushed over the backplate, there's a tenon. RCists use starters with this arrangement all the time, if you put them together, they are hard to turn relative to each other even without the screw, and you can tighten them down pretty good.

Brett
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 11:39:31 AM by Brett Buck »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here