News:

• May 01, 2024, 08:55:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DS .61 RE problems  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
DS .61 RE problems
« on: May 07, 2006, 12:33:28 PM »
Randy,

Went out flying yesterday. Tried what you talked about in Stunt News with colder weather engine set ups. Guess what it worked. 5% fuel, raised compression a bit and engine ran fine. Made a prop choice dhange as well and everything just came together. Running DS .61 RE exactly how we run the ST .60 and it runs fine now.

Thanks Randy, appreciate the help.
Gerald

Walter Hicks

Re: DS .61 RE problems
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 04:55:07 PM »
Gerald ,

This is what worked well for my friend Mark Wasnick for seveeral years.

15% Nitro(yes this is correct)  3%Castor 17% synthetic and some aero 1
(1oz). DS does not like castor and the 15% nitro makes it a new engine
a great prop to start is Thunder Tiger 12.5x5.5 less than $5.00 prop.
8300-8700 rpm. Does not like to run hard ! The key was the synthetic 15%!!!
Excalabur fuels will make this for you . Mark Smith out of Arizona. Try it you will like it.

DS .61 RE is better than SE. It is not a tiger .60! More like a tiger .46 on steroids.
Small like plane 600-640 not too heavy.  Hope this helps . When you get them rights they are very, very consistant . sopmewhat difficult to start I would use an electric starter save a lot of head ache.   Walter Hicks

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 09:09:21 PM »
Randy,

Went out flying yesterday. Tried what you talked about in Stunt News with colder weather engine set ups. Guess what it worked. 5% fuel, raised compression a bit and engine ran fine. Made a prop choice dhange as well and everything just came together. Running DS .61 RE exactly how we run the ST .60 and it runs fine now.

Thanks Randy, appreciate the help.
Gerald

Hi Gerald

I am very happy that it was  a help  to you, 
You should  bump up the  nitro  as  the  hot  weather comes in, and you will find  it will keep  everything running the  same.
Let me know  If I can help out

Regards
Randy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 12:16:12 PM »
Gerald ,

This is what worked well for my friend Mark Wasnick for seveeral years.

15% Nitro(yes this is correct)  3%Castor 17% synthetic and some aero 1
(1oz). DS does not like castor and the 15% nitro makes it a new engine
a great prop to start is Thunder Tiger 12.5x5.5 less than $5.00 prop.
8300-8700 rpm. Does not like to run hard ! The key was the synthetic 15%!!!
Excalabur fuels will make this for you . Mark Smith out of Arizona. Try it you will like it.

DS .61 RE is better than SE. It is not a tiger .60! More like a tiger .46 on steroids.
Small like plane 600-640 not too heavy.  Hope this helps . When you get them rights they are very, very consistant . sopmewhat difficult to start I would use an electric starter save a lot of head ache.   Walter Hicks

Hi Walter,
A lot of guys running the DS around here do like to open up the venturi a touch, and add head gaskets to deal with the extra nitro.  Haven't run the 61RE myself, but have talked to some of the guys who have.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 10:03:40 AM »
Hi Guys,

The DS .61 RE seems to be doing just fine now. The engine is in a modified Trivial Pursuit, one of Ted Fancher's designs. Most of you know the Trivial Pursuit, but I just had to throw a plug Ted's way. I originally built this plane around an ST .60. When finished it came way too heavy, to me anyhow. I sold the plane to a friend and he put a PA .51 with pipe in it and then I bought it back. It flew great, but I just wasn't happy with the pipe set up, I'm old school and old too, so what I really wanted was to fly this plane with the traditional grunt and growl of a .60 engine.

I had a DS .61 RE that was in another plane at the time. I decided to strip the Trivial Pursuit down to bare wood and refinish it. It was a good plane, just needed to be lighter. I retrofitted the DS .61RE in the nose, which really didn't take that much work, although there was some doubt that after drilling out the motor mounts and resetting the mounting holes that it could cause some problems, I went ahead with and there are no signs of any structure failure. After the refinish, I took 6 ounces off the total weight and this is significant believe me. Finished it all back in Brodak dope and it came out fine.

I've had problems getting the "right mixture" of prop, fuel, nitro %, head shims and venturi size all together at once to make this engine happy. The engine really likes to turn a big prop, its happy, very happy with a Rev-Up 13 X 7, turns it like it was nothing, but, the plane isn't happy with this prop on it. Put a Bolly 12 1/2 X 6 1/2 3 blade on it, and the whole package just came together. Its pretty much set just like a Tiger .60 now, thanks Randy.  Running SIG Champion 5% fuel, .300" venturi, PA .61 NVA, SIG Idle bar plug, have 5 head shims to get the same compression as my ST .60's are, had 7 in it running 10% fuel and couldn't find a needle. Anyhow, its all working now, I'm happy, the plane is happy and the engine is happy, we be flyin'. Should be ready for the Northwest Regional's in Eugene, Oregon over Memorial Day Week end. Hope to see you there Walter.

Gerald

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 10:53:03 PM »
Hi Gerald

Glad it is  all coming together for you.  Say  HELLO  to everyone  there  for  me
tell Bruce Perry  I said  hello  too. We  missed  him at  stunt camp

Regards
Randy

Offline Gerald Schamp

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 02:19:30 PM »
Have been flying the DS .61RE a lot lately. Tried all kinds of props, have settled on the Rev Up 13 X 7 cut to 12 1/4". Engine seems to like the load a lot better than running with less pitch and higher RPM. Haven't tached it so don't know exact RPM, but its set so its just breaking in and out of 2/4 on the ground and it does this in level flight also. Breaks into 2 cycle at about 10 o'clock and comes back out at about 2 o'clock. Vertical 8, it stays in 2 clycle until coming downhill. OVerheads same way, plenty of power. Its every bit as strong as my ST .60's, doesn't give anything away in the horsepower department. Its in a 70 ounce Trivail Pursuit, on 64 foot lines. 5.1 to 5.2 lap times. Runs on 4 1/2 ounces of fuel, using SIG Champion 5% nitro, 20% lube, 1/2 & 1/2 synthetic and castor with an ounce of Randy's lube added.

Has always been hard to start inverted on the ground, had to always turn plane over to get started. Got a Kavan electric starter, starts every time inverted, no problem. Doesn't wear me out trying to start it now. Anyhow, thought I'd let all know its finally working. One last thing, 5 head shims, PA .61 NVA, .300" venturi and SIG R/C long idle bar plug. Engine has a little over 3 gallons of fuel through it and its running very nicely now.

Gerald

Offline SQ8s

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »
What I've seen.....It's a 1/4 turn to 1/4 turn on the needle to get it just right. ONE thing...THE weather here...one day 95+ the next 55-......gee

See you in Eugene ..... n~
Scott Riese

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here