News:

• April 30, 2024, 10:41:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Drill bit for Smith NVA  (Read 1264 times)

Online Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Drill bit for Smith NVA
« on: August 19, 2023, 05:14:04 AM »
What drill bit or size hole is needed for a Randy Smith NVA?

Also I have an OS 20 FP (almost new), I want to convert to C/L.  I have the Brooks 6mm venturi and stock OS needle for that.  Is the 6 mm venturi good for the the 20?  I want to put it on one of my Shark 402's.  I have two of them, one with an FP 25 and one with an LA 25.  Both are too powerful or maybe longer lines.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 06:14:46 AM by Allen Eshleman »

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
Re: Drill bit for Smith NVA
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 02:12:14 PM »
  The drill bit is #22.  I talked to Randy. 

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 07:05:59 PM »
   Do you own a pair of  dial calipers? They are a very useful tool in this hobby. Even a harbor Freight pair will suffice. It takes a bit to learn how to use them. Just measure the diameter of the spray bar, read the dial, then consult you handy dandy drill chart for the nearest size. The more you use it the better ypou get at reading one. A good set of fractional drills and number drills are handy items also, Add in a set of letter drills to fill in the gaps. The shanks of the drills can be used as pin gauges to figure out what size mystery holes are. Somewhere here on the engine section Randy has posted what the diameter is form most common used spray bars also.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 08:59:20 PM »
I would suggest that you could buy a better quality used pair of calipers at a hockshop for about the same price (except probably for Hobo Freight). When I first started working in a machine shop, I bought a pair of dial calipers and 0-1, 1-2 and 2-3" micrometers, all Mitutoyo, and still have and use them all.

What I have done several times in such a place is to look at what they have, ask to hold them, see how they function, and make them a "cash money" offer for the bunch. Got a Mitutoyo depth micrometer the same way. I've used this stuff for 45+ years. Most of my dial indicators were bought new, and all these tools used to get calibrated either monthly or frequently. Good stuff lasts and holds value. 

One of my prized posessions is a drill index with number, fractional and letter sizes. Well, that and a PA .51...y1 Steve

PS: I like a .161" drill for 4mm/.156" spraybars like ST, K&B, Randy Aero, etc. That's a #20, BUT that's also for my own Delrin venturi/restrictor inserts, because plastic always drills under actual drill size.
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 08:48:05 PM »
I would suggest that you could buy a better quality used pair of calipers at a hockshop for about the same price (except probably for Hobo Freight).

I suggest eBay, there are a huge number of estate sale and retired machinist tools for a relative pittance. I got most of mine an an inheritance, but a few calipers and mics from ebay, all the best brands, several looked to be nearly unused, and cheap.  2" Brown and Sharpe mic for $25 dollars+$5 shipping cheap.

Brett

p.s. I actually prefer vernier calipers to dial or digital for normal use. But if you want a digital, Shars are good enough and pretty inexpensive. I also note a prevalence of seemingly very inexpensive Mitutoyo digital calipers  on eBay - 6" for about $60. Those are counterfeit - I have a 12" counterfeit Mititoyo and it was cheap and works well enough.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 09:54:13 PM by Brett Buck »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here