News:

• May 10, 2024, 11:03:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do piston rings turn when the engine is running?  (Read 10974 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Do piston rings turn when the engine is running?
« on: July 15, 2014, 08:12:35 AM »
    Hi All:

In another post, it is stated that the piston ring turns while the engine is running.

When younger, I was told that the rings in a car engine do turn in the cylinder while the engine is running.  The wavy springs in the ring/piston set up was engineered to cause the ring to turn.  This was to induce an even wear on the piston and cylinder.

I had a difficult time believing this then and still do!

Any proof that the rings actually rotate or turn on the piston while the engine is running?

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
Re: Do piston rings turn when the engine is running?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:28:10 AM »
I'd say not. The wavy spring (under std. ring) is so called oil ring, the purpose is to act as oil reservoir and to leave an oil film to cylinder wall at every stroke. It consists of 3 parts; the wavy ring between 2 flat rings. 4 stroke engine rings are not pinned to prevent rotation. They are free to move but they really don't.
In 2 stroke engines the rings must be pinned, because of cylinder ports.

L

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:46:02 AM »
K&B 4011 does not have a pinned ring, K&B 61 does.   

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 09:42:29 AM »
Any unpinned ring will rotate whether in car engines or model engines. I remember holding a ringed engine and idly flipping it over for several minutes and noticed that the ring gap was gradually moving between the port bridges. When assembling full size engines it's always adviseable to set each ring gap 180 away from adjacent rings to get best compression seal on the first start.

Online Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 11:43:43 AM »
What Brian said is very true. If the ring gap is in the exhaust port where you can see it you can rotate the engine one way and the ring will move one way. If you then flip it in the opposite direction it will usuall move the opposite direction.
Jim Kraft

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 06:32:40 PM »
       Hi:

What drives the ring to cause it to turn turn?

Would not the ring and cylinder have to be perfectly round to achieve this movement?

Tia,

Frank

Offline KnifeEdge51

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 08:13:12 PM »
There's a high degree of vibration and force in reciprocating engines that can cause the rotation. Ring pins on two-strokes are used for a reason. Unless you want to do a rebuild by having a ring catch on a port, it's best to utilize the pins!

Valves in four-stroke engines also rotate in use. There are some interesting videos put out by BMW during testing that show this, and it's pretty impressive to watch, really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 06:51:38 AM »
      Hi Guys:

I thought that valves rotated due to their offset position on the cam lobes.  This was to induce a wiping action across the valve and valve seat to help remove unwanted fouling.

How can a vertical motion translate into a rotary motion on the rings?  How can it be strong enough to overcome the friction of all of the contact points on the rings, grooves, lands and cylinder.  Is the concentricity of the rings and cylinder walls perfect enough to permit this turning action.  Perhaps the ring and cylinder can mate to form a perfectly concentric fit.  I doubt it would wear in this manner.

Keep the information coming. 

Stay well,

Frank

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 01:29:38 PM »
Quote from: Brian Hampton
...flipping it over for several minutes and noticed that the ring gap was gradually moving between the port bridges.

Noticed this last week when flipping my old McCoy 49. The ring rotated the same way whether I flipped forwards or backwards.
I have had a few problems recently with this engine, this is why I was giving it some attention.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 08:29:59 AM »
But it is not necessary for the rings to turn, and with 2-strokes more serious than some antique McCoy's and such, you don't want it to happend. If you can see the ring gap from a port it means that the ring is not doing its work properly, compressing against cylinder wall. A good ring would most certainly go into the port and cause lots of damage.
In 4-strokes it is not so important but I would still prefer a pinned ring. Ring gap should be on that side of cylinder where compression forces cause the bigger side-pressure for the piston/cylinder wall. That means on the right side of piston when you look at the engine from behind, with the usual direction of rotation.
Bigger the piston/cylinder clearance and ring gap is, more important the pinning position is.

L
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:30:17 PM by Lauri Malila »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 06:07:03 PM »
The first ringed engine I encountered with a pinned ring is the ST G.51. The K&B .40, ST G.61, ST .60bb and Fox Eagle .60 had rings but none were pinned. The deal there was that the port windows were interupted with multiple 'posts' to prevent the rings from 'hooking'. Blocking the intake side is going to reduce power a lot, but exhaust side isn't such a big deal. Having taken the T&L G.51 apart a few times, I assure you that the pinned single ring made it a big PITA...mostly because the sleeve is a heat shrink fit into the case.

Lauri, are your cylinder/case fits that tight? I can't for the life of me fathom the logic of honing the cylinder to get it dead round and the desired taper, only to shrink it into a cast case that's only bored and could easily be .001"-.003" out of round...remembering that the production machinery is likely old and may well be far from state of the art.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 01:19:24 AM »
Steve,

No, our cylinder is integrated with cooling fins & fuel channels. Roundness is much better than in an average engine. Even after hundreds of flights, I have never measured out-of roundness bigger than  0.001..0.002mm.
Also, piston material and design allow for a much tighter piston-cylinder fitting. We use 0.12..0.15mm clearance (cylinder dia.-piston dia)
I have said it before and I'll say it again: most of the problems that ringed stunt engines have come from old technology. Engines are inefficient in so many ways (scavenging, fittings, workmanship, materials, burning process..). They cause quick wear, high temperature gradients and other grief.

Lauri

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 07:08:38 AM »
Lauri,
You seem to be talking of a very small number of very high tech engines. From Brown Juniors to the current production ringed engines, unless the rings are stuck or pinned, ALLl the rings rotate when run. Frank, I am sure, is not talking of a few super high tech engines that you are making. Your diatribe about poor old fashioned ringed engines may be perfectly true, but it has nothing to do with the question. I think you are inadvertently high jacking the thread!

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 07:14:44 AM »
Frank,
No one has picked up your innocent question of why rings rotate. If the motion of the piston is up and down how do you get a rotation of the ring in a horizontal plane?
My guess would be that it is to do with the piston rocking and the fact that there is a gap in the ring. Quite how this works is still a mystery to me, But it is worth the effort to try and get an explanation.

Andrew
BMFA Number 64862

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 08:59:31 AM »
Well Andew,

I have given my opinion and some practical examples to the question if it is good that ring turns. Why would you call that hi-jacking the thread? My time is limited so I tend to do things as well as possible, in the end doing so saves a lot of time. Of course we are capable of doing things that are not possible in mass production, I am very sorry for that.
But if they turn, why? A few possible reasons:
-Honing pattern may have an effect.
-Ring and piston side pressure is not symmetrical, and it's changing all the time. And same with temperature.
-The forces that compress the ring against groove walls are not symmetrical and of differend strenght in differend parts of cycle.
With those and propably several other things, you don't need much to trigger rotation. Why do loose screws turn under vibration?

L

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »
Hello Lauri,
Your suggestions as to the cause of ring rotation have some merit. It still doesn't answer Franks query. The simpler example of a screw rotating under vibration, is still not easy to analyse from a maths / physics point of view. An interesting challenge, but I have retired from physics and I am not going to beat my brains trying to work these things out now.

Regards,

Andrew
BMFA Number 64862

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »
Hi  Yes  most all rings move if they are not pinned, one thing that cause this is the cylinders  are  NOT   round when running, you have  a cool side where the cold fuel charge is coming thru, and you have a hot side of the piston and sleeve where the exhaust is, you also have cool air on 3 or so sides and 1 side ,or more, runs hotter, as soon  as the engine shuts down and cools, the metal will go back to normal size, another thing that causes  rings to turn is the cross hatch cut into the sleeve. I see this a lot when flipping  a non running motor, and it seems to move much more when the sleeve is brand new. they will also move  with new sleeves when running an IC engine in with an electric motor. A few times after much run times  I have seen motors have still rings that stay where they are.
Spinning rings are not much of a problem , and you have  no worries with sleeves that have smaller  window ports, large ports have to have the rings  pinned.

Randy

Offline Timothy Payne

• Mr Payne
  • Lieutenant
  • Classic Racer
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 11:28:26 AM »
I would have thought that all 2-stroke piston ring grooves would have a peg in each one away from the exhaust port (and transfer port) in order to prevent the ring rotating in the groove and subsequently fouling the port.

Every 2-stroke motorbike engine I've come across uses this method to keep the rings in one place!

I'm surprised these aeroplane engines don't sustain extensive internal damage without this preventative measure in place.

Enlightened somewhat,

Tim

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »
I would have thought that all 2-stroke piston ring grooves would have a peg in each one away from the exhaust port (and transfer port) in order to prevent the ring rotating in the groove and subsequently fouling the port.

Every 2-stroke motorbike engine I've come across uses this method to keep the rings in one place!

I'm surprised these aeroplane engines don't sustain extensive internal damage without this preventative measure in place.

Enlightened somewhat,

Tim

Tim

Most all model engines that do not have pinned rings have  window ports cut so they are small enough that the ring ends cannot get into the port, the loop charged engines with much larger ports are pinned so the cannot get into the ports. Many of the use either a very small roll pin, or a steel peg.

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here