News:

• May 04, 2024, 01:34:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dixon Tuned fox 35 to DS 40  (Read 1564 times)

Offline bruce malm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Dixon Tuned fox 35 to DS 40
« on: December 19, 2006, 05:42:56 PM »
Just wondering if anybody has compared the power of the Tom Dixon tuned Fox 35 with stuffer backplate and Fox hemi head to the standard Double Star 40
I know Tom reports his reworked Fox pulls like a 40. I have a plane set up for the DS but not sure if I should spend the $$$ on a DS. I also have one of Larry Foster's reworks with the other hemi head and stuffer backplate.

Any information would be appreciated.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Bruce

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Dixon Tuned fox 35 to DS 40
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 08:16:10 PM »
I love my DS .60bb.  j1 I've also run and flown one of the two DS .40's I have.  HB~> It's smooth, it starts well, but I can't think of anything it would fly well, other than maybe a Veco Warrior or Bi-Slob, and they would have to be kept light.  There's no reason a $150 engine should need any rework, and it definitely does. I'd suggest you use your Foster or Dixon Fox.  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 08:43:24 AM »
I can't compare the Tom's Fox 35 to the stock DS 40.  But, I can caompare a L&J Fox 35 with all the mods to a Stock DS 40.  I believe the L&J is a *little* stronger.

All bets are off if you install a larger restrictor (venturi) of around .300 and a couple extra head shims with 10% nitro in the DS 40.  Then it is a pretty good pulling 40.  Stock, th eDS 40s I have had less choke area than a stock Fox 35!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 09:57:06 AM »
Bruce,

What sort of plane is it, and how heavy is it?
Steve

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 01:52:30 PM »
I bought the prototype of Windy's Cardinal Revolution that Elliot Scott had on E-bay. Beautifully built and very light. I 'm not sure when I will start finishing. It was built around the DS 40 and I understand the Fox and the DS are interchangeable as far as size. I have not really had time to actually check. I will probably add a couple more coats of clear and finish with automotive paint. Probably  white for the base color.  I could put another 40 or larger engine in it, but I hate to mess up the beautiful workmanship already put into the airplane, but it might come to that.

Bruce

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 03:36:13 PM »
Cardinal Evolution or Revolution?  I'm not familiar with a revolution version.  I'm guessing a revolution Cardinal would be smaller than the 40 size Evolution and built around a Fox 35......?

Perchance do you have data on square inches, etc?

Fox and DS should interchange, although check for subtle differences in length from mounting holes to prop washer.
Steve

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 05:49:44 PM »
You are correct it is the Evolution. Just had a brain f**t.

And at this time, I haven't calculated the wing area, etc.
Bruce

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 08:05:03 PM »
If my memory is accurate, the Evolution is roughly the wing of the Profile cardinal.  That *should* work if the airplane is light, but its outside the scope of my experience with the DS 40.  I have my 40 DS in a Nobler.  I'm not sure a DS 40 gives me a warm fuzzy feeling in something like the evolution, but I have no data to back up my feelings.  Hopefully, somebody else has more revelant experience with shps that size.
Steve

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 09:00:54 PM »
Windy put the DS .40 in his Profile Cardinal prototype after the K&B .40S. The report that the line tension was not much. For comparison, I tried one of the K&B .40s (#4055) ABC with as much as a .312" venturi, and it just didn't put out enough power. I'd suggest a B.40, TT or Magnum .36 or .46LA. Easier to do now, than later. The Foxes won't make it, either, in that plane, but especially with your local heat.  n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 01:51:22 PM »
I pulled it down and the wing area is 585 and it is very light. The L&j Fox I have on a Nobler really pulls well. The fox would need an 1/8" spacer behind the spinner to clear the nose. The B-40 would need a little mount modification and a custom spinner backplate to close the gap.

I have a profile Cardinal  and they look pretty close. I'll have to do some testing when I can. I hope the grass on my field grows in so I can fly in the evening and not have to plan to drive all over town. I have quite a few other engines I can see if they fit. I also have 2 new 46VF's and a bunch more used ones on R/C planes and a couple 40VF's. So when I really get ready to finish it, I'll make the decision.

I've been busy building Quarter scale Gee Bees that a friend sells to restaurants etc. I just finished the 10 th one, 7 in the last 2 month's but still have a J3.  Just need to get back to my own airplanes that are 1/2 finished.

Thank you to everybody for all your input and Hope everybody has a Fabulous, Merry and safe Christmas.

Bruce / Wackydaddy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here