News:

• April 26, 2024, 04:08:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cutting Prop Doors into a Plastic Spinner  (Read 490 times)

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cutting Prop Doors into a Plastic Spinner
« on: April 10, 2023, 10:57:09 AM »
I need to cut a prop opening in a Plastic CB spinner, as they come as "blanks."  What tool can be used to saw?  A coping saw?

I understand there are issues about marking, balancing, etc., but my question is specific to the cutting tool employed.

Thanks,

Peter

Update:  Found this:  http://www.mecoa.com/faq/cbspinner/cut.htm

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Cutting Prop Doors into a Plastic Spinner
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 11:12:31 AM »
I need to cut a prop opening in a Plastic CB spinner, as they come as "blanks."  What tool can be used to saw?  A coping saw?

I understand there are issues about marking, balancing, etc., but my question is specific to the cutting tool employed.

Thanks,

Peter

Update:  Found this:  http://www.mecoa.com/faq/cbspinner/cut.htm

I have done this a lot of ways, the safest and easiest to control is to use a coping saw or hacksaw to remove the bulk of it, then rasps and files to get it to the right shape. If you really know what your are doing, you can use a Dremel tool with a high-speed burr but that is pretty risky, one slip or have the cutter "grab", and you ruin it or cut yourself, run in fast enough to get it to not be prone to grabbing and it melts and sticks to the burr.

Note that I use hand tools almost all the time for any modeling activity, even drills, so my thoughts are always directed to how to do it manually.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 03:59:20 PM »
   I almost never use a Dremel tool on any spinner either, after almost ALWAYS having one grab in the manor that Brett describes, and I finally learned my lesson. On plastic, one of those key hole saw looking blades that you can get for the big red handle will get you the basic shape. I would sketch out a template that you want to opening to look like, and lay that out on the spinner, and use the leading edge of that layout, make it line up with a mark or line that bisects the spinner. Then put the leading edge of the template against the same line  on the opposite side of the spinner, then cut away with the saw to get close. I usually just use a sharp knife to shave the plastic to the line or mark I am shooting for. Get it looking good but don't sand or file on it yet. repeat the process for the other side and get it to the line. See if your prop will fit into what you have so far, and then enlarge them if need be. If you are happy, now start the balancing and finishing work, if you have the proper balancing rig.
  For aluminum, poke a series of holes close to the line, then trim out the big slug from there. Then use a file to start working things down towards the line and get it as close as you can before checking balance. I don't know how guys did it in the good old days before we had these neat new balancing rigs. If you are very careful with layout, and then the cutting and filing as well, I'll bet you can wind up pretty close to balanced. I don't recall ever seeing any kind of article in the old magazine on slotting a Froom or a Veco blank spinner. Veco spinner, I think, had a sort of "pilot " cut out that you could at least measure from. Froom spinners were just a blanc cone, I think, weren't they? I just never see any new in box Froom spinners to know for sure.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 06:47:09 PM »
Rat Tail file to set L. E. posn. Carefull whittling to scribed marks from there .

A broke propellor - cut to the spinner diameter , or mark a blade fore aft & across , to ' get ' the cut out - shape , helps. If you want it close . 1 m.m. al rounds good .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here