News:

• May 19, 2024, 02:11:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CS Engines?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Joe Messinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
CS Engines?
« on: August 31, 2006, 10:16:42 PM »
Anyone know anything about CS engines?

I was looking at a CS .55 c/l engine in a hobby shop today but the lady that was working there knew nothing about it.  The price was marked at $88.00.

I didn't get a hands on look at it.  Curious about how heavy it is.

If anyone has any knowledge of these engines, please let me know.

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
Re: CS Engines?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 01:16:45 AM »
Hello all;
There was a CS 60 (donīt know if is the same you are speaking of) who was made in aprox 1994. It was a copy of the ST 60, but power was less than a Tigre, and very similar to a stock Merco 61 SS.
I remember it was ABC and weight was aprox 12 Oz.
Stunt News printed a review of this engine between 1994 and 1995, probably someone in the forum can obtain and scan it for you.
Regards.
Manuel.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 03:49:38 AM »
That mini-review was in the November/December issue (P. 82) of Stunt News. Derek Pickard's conclusion was, " . . . . and massive quality problems. The manufacturer is to be avoided".  Succeding reports on CS suggest that when you get a good 'un, it's really good; but the % of "really, really good 'uns" is very small.

You can get a refurbed ST V.60 for $150 and avoid the quality problems almost completely.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 07:23:44 AM »
Thanks for the info on the CS.  I don't have any plans to buy one of these engines, just had never seen or heard of them and was curious.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 05:55:41 PM »
Probably the best and most consistent CS engines were the 2.5cc (.15 cu in) Silver Swallow diesels. That doesn't do much for most of the stunt commuity, however.

I've heard that some of their competition engines - if you're willing to get several to find parts to put one excellent one together - can and have set various records.  Again, not much use to the CLPA crowd. Kinda makes an $88 engine more like $500, and still might not be quite what you want. Don't even THINK about replacement parts, either.

I've heard the many of the original run of Silver Swallow .15s were part of a Mainland (Chinese People's Republic) government program to train machinists. Most of them, according to the papers in the box, were built within a fairly brief period. Ed Carlsen imports a recently produced CS .15 diesel, near identical to the SS except for brand marks. The one I've seen is much more nicely made than the main run back in the 1950's or '60's.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Gene Elliott

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 09:26:38 PM »
Joe,
You might take a look at the Raptorz/CS site:
<//home.earthlink.net~whizzz/welcome.htm>

Gene

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 10:24:32 PM »
my cs 53 is a very strong motor. easy starting also
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 09:14:04 AM »
I have a CS 28 on a butt ugly trainer....it starts real quick, hot or cold...yup, heavy, and yup, not a "high zoot" competition motor, but good stuff none the less...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here