News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:16:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Como Engines  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Tom Dugan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Como Engines
« on: February 21, 2006, 06:58:25 PM »
I'm new to the Forum and have spent the past couple days reading as many of the postings as I could.  I am impressed with the vast array of knowledge and the willingness to share it.  This will make my re-entry into the sport much easier.  Thank you all!

Since I recently purchased a lightly used Como 40, I'm curious about their suitability for control line use.  I understand that they are essentially a Super Tigre and seem to be reasonably available at a more modest price.  What are their Pros & Cons?

Thanks....Thomas

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Como Engines
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 07:23:54 PM »
Thomas: From what I've heard there more of a sport engine, can they be good for stunt ? I haven't heard of anybody saying so.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 09:43:14 PM »
HI Thomas

I have not seen anyone use them  much. and the later ones  are prone to run away.
However  if you have  an older  version with a  baffle piston  they work OK.
I ran a  Como 51 in a  SIG Magnum  and  it  worked  very well, again this  was  teh older  baffle piston version

Randy

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 10:38:14 PM »
I think Jack Sheeks used a COMO 40 in his black Spitfire or Hurricane in the 1970's. Didn't see it mentioned in the inevitable construction article that appeared sometime thereafter.

I had one, and never did try to dial it in for stunt. Today with the approach of flatter pitch props to let engines wind to nearer their power peak, while increasing fuel draw at the same time, in a low-2 mode, might suit the COMO. As I recall, it had a dished form to the head fins that resembled the early X-series STs, and may have been a clone.

Not particularly light, good starting, apparently a bunch of power... Only concern might be parts replacement, unless there's a source of interchangeable ST parts...
\BEST\LOU

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here