News:

• May 22, 2024, 12:16:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: cold weather temps effect on motors  (Read 637 times)

Offline brucefinley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
cold weather temps effect on motors
« on: February 14, 2007, 02:11:42 PM »
Been cold, at what point should you not try to run your motors outside?  They sure seem harder to start when the temp is 50 and below.  Also, how about min temp for breaking-in an engine.  No yankee snow jokes please.

freezin' in Texas
Bruce

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: cold weather temps effect on motors
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 04:43:58 PM »
Coldest I have ever flown at was 24 degrees F, in Illinois.  No problems. 

Offline Stan Bidowski

• Lieutenant
    • Winnipeg Perfect Circle Flying Club
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 06:04:25 PM »
The coldest day I flew was -39 C  %^   ~^.  This was at the Winnipeg Perfect Circle Flying
Club's Winter Air Races Cup.  I won it one year ;D.  It's more a matter of how much
one wants to run a motor or go flying, than the weather.  Fuel with all synthetic oil
is best in the cold, add an ounce or so of automobile gas to a gallon of fuel.  You can
also wrap insulation around the fins, and cover that with tin foil.  Preheat,
or keep the engine warm before starting ( keep in car, or use a portable
heater).  If you want to break in a motor, you will likely want to use fuel with castor
oil.  This will be OK, IF you keep the fuel from getting cold, and also the motor.
ie: get everything ready inside where it's warm ( car, garage, house, etc. ) then
go outside and immediately start up your engine.  Do a normal break in type of run.
When you need to stop the motor, go back inside with it if it needs to be warmed
up, before restarting.
   If you go outside when it's cold, and the motor and fuel ( and starting batteries too)
get really cold, then you WILL have problems :'(   :X   :X .
   A minus 39 C day can be enjoyed outside if one is dressed appropriately, and keeps
active.   You can also keep your flight box with fuel, batteries, etc. in a picnic cooler
with heat packs ( it would now be a 'heater VD~' instead of a 'cooler b1' ).
   Try to avoid getting raw fuel on your fingers and hands, you'll learn quick!  Keep a
heat pack handy to warm up your hands too  :!!

Stan Bidowski  :)
The Winnipeg Perfect circle Flying Club
MAAC 17167

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 06:40:38 PM »
3 or 4 drops of lighter fluid will usually get it to fire.  As soon as it runs just a little, the crankcase temp is warm enough to vaporize the fuel and it will start normally.  You shouldn't need to do this unless it is 30 or so.  A good trick I learned right here.  My planes live in an unheated garage and if it is below freezing I warm the engine with a hair dryer before loading up to go fly. Also keep the starting battery in a warm place, it does better if not too cold.  Also learned here. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here