News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:45:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cleaning mufflers  (Read 496 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Cleaning mufflers
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:34:50 PM »
Can I use carburetor cleaner or oven cleaner to clean a tongue muffler?

James

I spoke with Allen Brickhaus and he suggested I try Dawn Dissolve and it worked very well.  The muffler was coated with 10 plus years of gunk and it removed about 95%.  Thanks Allen.

James
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:52:12 PM by James Mills »
AMA 491167

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
Re: Cleaning mufflers
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 08:37:21 AM »
Carb cleaner should loosen / dissolve the carbon and gunk, but might dis-color the aluminum. New stuff is not the same as what we used to get - it's " Enviro-safe". I remember leaving a Quadra-Jet in the little metal pail / basket carb cleaner you could buy at the auto store- I forgot it for about a month and all there was in the basket was some grey goo and shiny brass parts- the thing had dissolved.

Anti-freeze in a crock pot will clean it also. I put the anti-freeze in a small can covered with tin foil and put the can in the empty crock pot to heat up. Slow cook it on high overnight and it should come out nice and clean.

Don't know about oven cleaner - but most are caustic and will stain stuff.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:47:34 AM »
James - do what Bill said. I have cleaned hundreds of engines and mufflers with the crock pot/anti-freeze method and never had a problem.

I tried oven cleaner on some scrap and it badly tarnished the aluminum.

Bob Z.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »
Make sure the anti-freeze is for aluminum engines.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Rod Lamer

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:47:44 PM »
Can someone elaborate about the crockpot/antifreeze technique on cleaning engines? I've heard of this before but didn't get details. I was given a small crockpot(one without the removable inside bowl) a while back. It's sitting on a shelf at work and didn't want to offend the giver and throw it away. Now maybe I can use it! What to do to the engines, and what not to do please. S?P
AMA 906421

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:56:19 AM »

On the subject of brushes.. you are going to want a stiff one... I use a brush that is nylon and super stiff .. I have no idea where I got it.. I suspect Harbor Freight carries the black ones.. a tooth brush will work but use a new one if you can..

Also if you don't have a basket you can use a pieces of copper wire or coat hangers attached to the parts .. be careful of the piston and liner.. that's it..

When done.. you can save the anti freeze for the next time by Duct Taping the lid on.. store where it won't get knocked over..

I picked up my Crockpot (new) for $2.00 at a Church Rummage Sale..  ;D ;D

Carb Cleaner will work... but wear safety glasses this stuff doesn't feel good when it gets in your eyes.. don't ask me how I know?  '' ''

Jim

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here