News:

• May 09, 2024, 05:40:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chinese Super Tigre G51 Ring CL  (Read 8696 times)

Offline Casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Chinese Super Tigre G51 Ring CL
« on: December 01, 2014, 09:11:50 AM »
I have attached a picture of a Chinese version of the Super Tigre G51 Ring CL. I noticed that it does not have the excess lump on the side of the casting which gets in the way of the mounting screws.

Anyone can shed any light on this?

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Chinese Super Tigre G51 Ring CL
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 09:26:10 PM »
It  gets in the way of the mounting screws !  >:D

someone was whineing about the screwdriver chewing it up , etc & so on . So they got rid of it at some stage .

I think all the Chinese ones , even the oes with made in Italy on them , have a 4 number stamping on the edge of a mounting lug .
Brian Winch  here says he ' advised ' them to use softer rings ( says Italian ones were hardened ) to ease break in . says he told
them a carb mod for the R/C carb too . Now you know .

So the lump was eradicated  for screwdriver clearance , if you don't use socket head screws .

Offline José Almeida

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 05:21:49 AM »
Hi Casey.

Have you attached the picture of Chinese ST G51 Ring CL?

Is good you post that images if anyone want compare  8)

Regards
José

Offline Casey

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 06:57:11 AM »
Hi Jose

The picture will show up when you log into the Stunt Hanger Forum website. I have attached another picture which shows the backplate removed. I have came across horror stories of the conrod being placed backwards. How does one tell whether a conrod is placed backwards?

Online Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 10:55:21 PM »
While I have no idea why that bump was put there, my Italian G51 has it machined to a smooth finish but I've seen a photo of an earlier Chinese G51 with an as cast bump. It seems they've finally decided it's useless and have now deleted it.

As for the conrods, all engines that use a one piece crankshaft (IOW, not a pressed in crankpin) have a chamfer at the end of one side of the rod bush which has to go up against the crankweb to clear the slight radius ground on the crankpin as a stress relief.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 01:07:54 PM »
Perhaps someone can point out the "operational" differences between the Italian S.T. 51 and the Chinese version.

From a user perspective, which one, if at all, runs better?

I only have one ST51, and don't know where it was made;  I only know it was modified by Tommie Lay.  It's a great engine.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 07:05:42 PM »
Floyd, according to the Australian importer, the Chinese ones are better than the last couple of years of Italian production.

If you engine came from around the time of the move, it's difficult to know where it was built as there were quite a few Italian crankcases—complete with Made in Italy—shipped to China.

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 11:53:59 PM »
I've run a couple Italian G51s and a couple of the Chinese G51s.  My Italians ran better than the Chinese.  The overall fit and finish is comparable, but you can see that the Chinese cut corners on things like the finish of the venturi as the Italian version is machined and polished like chrome and the Chinese version is grainy, for lack of a better description.

The issue I had with the Chinese engines were the rings that went bad.  I picked up a pair off Ebay for parts, one is like new but the ring seal is crap, the other shows evidence of more running but not alot, and it too has a shot ring.  I bought one new, and it ran decent until I got it hot one time and it's never been the same since.  

If I were going to run the G51 in something important, I think I'd try to get a group together and have Brian Gardner make a run of drop-in ABC setups for them.  A good ring would probably fix the problem, but an ABC set should solve it permanently.

That bar cast on the case was always in the way, especially with 6-32 bolts.  It's nice they stopped doing that, and also started drilling the cases through for the muffler bolts.  It's too bad the G51 will probably never be available again, for the money they were a nice running engine.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 01:08:16 PM »
Some good info here on modifying and country of origin differences -
http://www.machineconcepts.co.uk/aeromodelling/st51/st51-1.htm
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 02:18:08 PM »
If I were going to run the G51 in something important, I think I'd try to get a group together and have Brian Gardner make a run of drop-in ABC setups for them.  A good ring would probably fix the problem, but an ABC set should solve it permanently.

This would be a WONDERFUL thing, especially if we continue to see ST's made in China. From the looks of the stocks at Tower Hobby, I have some doubts about that. A lot of "Order Pending" notices...reminds me of ST's from World Engines.  :'( Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »
Thanks all for the info.  I'm pretty sure Tommie Lay installed new rings, among lots of other stuff.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 04:18:07 PM »
A Brian Gardiner ABC set would be magic. My experience is that the Chinese versions are not as good as the Italian ones. the rings are quite dreadful on the Chinese ones, Only some rings are bad on the Italian engines! The Italian fits and finishes are in my experience, much netter than the Chinese ones.
Having said that, I have an Italian one that has good everything and yet it is a dreadful stunt engine. I have tried all and I DO mean all, of the standard fixes and it still will not run well. Hence my vote for a BG ABC set u. How about it Brian?

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 09:15:46 PM »
Think it might be self explanitary where the BAHH came from .

in case your wondering , the ' SPORT ' was a SINGLE Ball Race sport motor , the 49 predeceeding the G - 51 .
( ST G-40 , G- 45 , & G- 51 share the same ' footprint '. ( mounting pattern / placement ) .)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 09:22:26 PM »
CHINESE ones with ' MADE IN ITALY ' cast in , have a four didgit number stamp on the Side of the Mounting Lug .

as do all off chairman maus favourites .  :!

and YES , this one DOESNT have made in Italy on it , but it DOES have the four number STAMP . so NOW You Know !

as said , brian winch , the ' airboune engineer '  ??? says he was askewd to advice them off any improvements required ,
being more of a genius than Garifiori , he advised then NOT to HARDEN the PISTON RING . So made in china chinese rings are differant spec
to gen u wine eyetalian PISTON RINGS . according to brain winch .

Offline Larry Fruits

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 01:28:01 AM »
A Brian Gardiner ABC set would be magic. My experience is that the Chinese versions are not as good as the Italian ones. the rings are quite dreadful on the Chinese ones, Only some rings are bad on the Italian engines! The Italian fits and finishes are in my experience, much netter than the Chinese ones.
Having said that, I have an Italian one that has good everything and yet it is a dreadful stunt engine. I have tried all and I DO mean all, of the standard fixes and it still will not run well. Hence my vote for a BG ABC set u. How about it Brian?

Andrew.

I asked Brian about an ABC set up for the ST 51 last April. We exchanged several Emails on the subject and he posted a survey on this forum to test interest. I was the only response, so he did not proceed. I think he would go ahead with the project, as he was interested then, if more interest was shown. It's up to us to sign up.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,35243.msg358489.html#msg358489

Larry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here