News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:17:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Castor Based Auto oils for model engines?  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Harry Rice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Castor Based Auto oils for model engines?
« on: October 08, 2006, 03:43:46 PM »
Hi Folks,

Many years ago (1960's), we used to put castor based oils in our motor bikes 'cos it smelt nice!!

To my amazement, I have just found out that not only is it still made, there are now several versions of the stuff!!!!:

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9002190&contentId=7002718#7009823

I know it's probably only European based but any opinions/practical experience would be welcome.

imho, I would suspect they may well be better than straight castor oil?

Cheers

Harry

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Castor Based Auto oils for model engines?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 06:39:21 PM »
Find out if it is mostly or all castor.  If it is blended with petroleum it may not mix very well with alcohol.  I used something called Blendzall a number of times, a prepackaged castor oil with additives.  It worked fine.
phil Cartier

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 01:10:38 PM »
Harry,

In reading material from UK and other (formerly Empire) English speaking nations  over the past few years, I seem to recall some bemoaning of the unavailaility of old Castrol-M, and the inadequacy of its replacement. 

Possibly some FAI competitors in racing and/or combat are more current on this than I?
\BEST\LOU

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 01:19:08 PM »
We use to use Castrol in our Motocross bikes... haven't seen it on the shelves for many years. I do remember that it smelled good but also remember that inhaled Castor Oil worked the same as if ingested!  %^
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Harry Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 03:29:49 PM »
Hi  Gentlemen,

Lou, it is indeed available - at 35GBP per 4 litres ($60!) for less than a gallon!

I guess it must be good - but so is a good malt whisky!!

Still, might try some one day when I am feeling wealthy (and the wife's not about!).

Cheers

Harry

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 11:16:43 PM »
I Think we need to be careful, the site is for Castrol which can be anything. Castor oil and Castrol sound very similar but are not. I use Castrol in my vehicles but it's not "CASTOR"
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 01:03:09 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Harry Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 04:25:52 AM »
Hi Greg,

Agree, somewhat confusing, but Castrol still make Castor-based oils. I guess the name is derived from Castor as they have been making oils since 1899, when I assume castor oil was about all there was until you guys started drilling in Texas!!!

Cheers

Harry

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 06:21:39 AM »
I was talking about 100% Castor oil based lubricants that were sold here in the U.S. up until  the mid to late 70's. Mostly used by the motorcycle crowd either pre-mixed in gasoline or injected. I think the popularity of synthetics along with the fact that synthetics burned cleaner and were  touted as having better lubrication properties lead to the decline of this product. Cost was relatively close if I remember correctly.

The Castrol M being discussed looks to be 100% bean oil.

http://129.35.64.91/bpglis/lsdsukf.nsf/0/85FE431DB24AC01880256D900043D16D/$file/000795.pdf

I think we yanks started getting our oil from Pennsylvania  first. They were chasing cows and shooting each other in Texas back then... come to think of it they still do! <=

Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here