News:

• May 04, 2024, 01:33:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Canted engines  (Read 631 times)

Offline Bill Mitchell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Canted engines
« on: November 02, 2009, 09:01:32 AM »
I've noticed several models running canted engines and I'm wondering how that affects tank height. Would a profile end up with the tank lower? Would a built-up end up with the tank higher or is there no difference?

Bill

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: Canted engines
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 11:26:54 AM »
My OS40 powered Stearman has the engine mounted at about the 8 o'clock position and the tank is centered on the needle valve. The SBD is at 9 o'clock and the same orientation. OS's seem to work OK with no bias. Have no idea what a Fox 35 would do but would start with the same offset a standard profile would use. Always a good idea to have the tank adjustable! Fly and tweak, same as always.
Don

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
Re: Canted engines
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:29:51 PM »
FWIW:

Our club has an event they call the Quadrathon. Basically 4 events. Old time stunt pattern. Speed. Scale (appearance), and Spot landing. So, all this needs to be done with a WWII type profile and a stock Fox .35. I built my Stuka from a modified John Lowery kit and tilted the engine up to about 10:00. Object here was to eliminate the "Fox Burp" in the stunt portion. It worked! Tank is a chicken hopper jacked up the "standard" 1/4 inch higher than the NVA.  

Ward
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here