News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:41:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can anyone identify these?  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Can anyone identify these?
« on: July 01, 2009, 07:56:57 PM »
From the junk box: Rear intake Fox, 5 cylinder radial (stamped A5 041 on back), big unknown special (May be homemade)

Anyone???????????????????   ??? ??? ???

Bob Z.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Can anyone identify these?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 09:31:04 PM »
Don't know what any of them are, but I bet the Fox will turn a 9-8 at respectable revolutions.  It would move my Flite Streaks well.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:43:50 PM »
I would guess the radial as a Saito?

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 01:28:26 PM »
Sigh...............Some people's junk boxes.................. :'(
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 07:01:02 PM »
Z Man, the Fox is a .29X and I would like to purchase it.     Phil

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 08:23:06 AM »
Z Man, the Fox is a .29X and I would like to purchase it.     Phil

Stand in line.   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

"G-Man"   VD~ S?P
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 01:56:24 PM »
Quote from: Phil Bare Z Man, the Fox is a .29X and I would like to purchase it.     Phil [/quote

There's also a 40 in this line, (and knowing Fox, maybe others) but I guess that would have a bigger gap between the head and the case.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 07:58:32 PM »
[quote author=Phil Bare Z Man, the Fox is a .29X and I would like to purchase it.     Phil

There's also a 40 in this line, (and knowing Fox, maybe others) but I guess that would have a bigger gap between the head and the case.

I was not aware of there ever being a .40 rear rotor like the .29X.......Phil

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 06:22:20 AM »

I was not aware of there ever being a .40 rear rotor like the .29X.......Phil

You were not aware of it because there isn't one Phil. The .29XBBRR (Ball Bearing Rear Rotor) is one of a kind. The only other RR (Rear Rotor) that Fox produced was a .60 in the Eagle Series. The only .40's that Fox produced with the long sleeve that left the wide gap at the head were Rat Race Motors between 1962 and 1964.

"Billy G"   H^^ H^^ H^^
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 06:42:00 AM by Bill Gruby »
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 01:36:11 PM »
Hey, Guys! Thanks for all the great info - I didn't have a clue.

As all these engines are new, I will give it a shot and see how they run.

There are plenty more (probably over 50) that I cannot identify. When I dig them up, I'll post more pictures.

Bob Z.

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 01:52:40 PM »
[quote author=Bill Gruby  You were not aware of it because there isn't one Phil. The .29XBBRR (Ball Bearing Rear Rotor) is one of a kind. The only other RR (Rear Rotor) that Fox produced was a .60 in the Eagle Series. The only .40's that Fox produced with the long sleeve that left the wide gap at the head were Rat Race Motors between 1962 and 1964. "Billy G" [/quote]

Pal John Jones over here in England has one. (40XBBRR i.e.).
Ian Russell.

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 03:38:15 PM »
 I have to stand corrected on this one folks. Although there is no mention of the .40XBBRR in the Ameriican Model Engine Encyclopedia, in a phone discussion with Marvin Denny this engine did indeed exist. It is the .29X case bored to fit a .40 sleeve. The extra height comes from a stroker crank shaft. Marvin had one but could not recollect if it was a production engine or not. Now there are three Fox engines on my extremely rare list, the 15XXX, the .90 and the .40BBRR. Rustler please accept my apology for being so straight forward on this one.
 The hunt goes on.  HB~>

"Billy G"   :o
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Frank Sheridan

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »
Bob Z said: "There are plenty more (probably over 50) that I cannot identify. When I dig them up, I'll post more pictures."  GEE WHIZ, it sounds like you have more stuff buried in your basement than a serial killer. LOL ;D

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 07:14:24 AM »
Hey, Frank - guess I shouldn't use the phrase "dig them up"  LL~  LL~

Actually, over the past 20 years or so, I've gone to a number of swap meets and I always looked for the oddball stuff, especially engines without any names or identifying markings. Turns out that I've accumulated quite a few. Between John Brodak and I, we probably have well over 100.
Since I'm pretty much away from the MA mainstream, there's really nobody to enjoy these items but me. When the CL museum is complete, I will donate the entire lot and with any others "unknowns" loaned or donated, I will set up a special display section called "The Orphanage". Forms will be available to anyone who can identify them. When this is accomplished, the newly identified engines, along with a card, will be placed on display in the proper section. The card will give credit to the person who furnished the information.

Make sense?

Bob Z.

ps -If anyone is interested, I will post more pictures.

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 02:49:35 PM »
Quote from: Bill Gruby Rustler please accept my apology for being so straight forward on this one. "Billy G" [/quote

Billy - absolutely nothing to apologise for. We (and I) have all been there/done that! Personally I always state what I know to be true, as a fact, and from time to time, get corrected. And thus we increase our knowledge of our great hobby. I tend to be a bit short on my replies sometimes, but it's only because I'm too lazy to write a long one!! No offence is ever intended.
Uh..h  While we're at it, let's not forget the Long Shaft Fox RR 60's.
Bob - Keep the photos coming!!
Ian Russell.

Offline Frank Sheridan

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 05:36:15 PM »
Post more pictures - the more the better.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 06:07:57 AM »
You asked for it, you got it.
First batch - Wierd C.I. engines.
1st: RIDICULOUS!!! Big C.I. looks homemade, NO SIGN OF AIR OR FUEL INTAKE.
2nd: Might be an E.D.
3rd: Not a clue but there is a "K" on the case and a knurled clamp ring holds the cylinder down.
4th: Really neat. The lever that looks like a spark advance is the compression adjustment. The crank bushing is mounted in an eccentric housing. Rotating the housing via the lever moves the center line of the bushing vertically thus varying the compression.

The second batch will be wierd glow engines, followed by ignition..

I have no real use for any of these engines so the logical resting place will be the museum.

ENJOY and identify!!!!

Bob Z.

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 05:31:19 PM »
You asked for it, you got it.
First batch - Wierd C.I. engines.
1st: RIDICULOUS!!! Big C.I. looks homemade, NO SIGN OF AIR OR FUEL INTAKE.
2nd: Might be an E.D.
3rd: Not a clue but there is a "K" on the case and a knurled clamp ring holds the cylinder down.
4th: Really neat. The lever that looks like a spark advance is the compression adjustment. The crank bushing is mounted in an eccentric housing. Rotating the housing via the lever moves the center line of the bushing vertically thus varying the compression.
Bob Z.

1. Possibly Italian. Someone will know.
2. Brit. E.D. Mk.IV (Hunter) 3.46cc. Ist model? Wrong prop nut. Should have "ED" and "MkIV" on front face of c/case. Could be called 2nd. variation as very first ones had c/casecarved from solid. This appears to be cast version.
3. Brit. K (Kemp) Vulture 5cc. Possibly Mk.2?
4. Possibly Brit. Airstar or French Ourigan. Again, someone will confirm.
Ian Russell.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here