News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:26:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Calling Jim Kraft  (Read 13242 times)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Calling Jim Kraft
« on: February 15, 2024, 08:15:07 PM »
Hi, Jim.
In the near future, I will be building a Little Mo.
As you know, it's not little at all.
The two biggest spark engines I have are brand new Orwick 65 and brand new Anderson Spitfire.
Which one would you consider for the Mo?
I will of course run spark ignition with a gasoline/castor/synthetic fuel.
Bob Z.
ps - I also have a Forster  99 - used but runs beautifully!

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: Calling Jim Kraft
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 09:21:06 PM »

Hi Bob. Either engine should work fine. I will say, one of the later Orwicks have a slight power advantage over the Spitfire, and the timers are better in my opinion. I have flown my Taurus with both of them, and the Orwick with the timer advanced will pull your arm off running in a four stroke.

I added an extra head gasket to mine because they come with 10 to 1 compression. It would be fairly easy to make it interchangeable so you can run either engine. I think I have had at least three different engines in my Taurus. Both the Spitfire, and the Orwick, plus an Atwood Super Champion. It actually started out with a Fox 59 short shaft.

I have no experience with the Forster 99. I am sure it would work well also. The 29 Forster rear valve ball bearing motor I have is very strong.

So, I hope this helps. It should be a head turner for sure. Wear your best track shoes. LOL. Maybe tie yourself to a stake in the ground.

Jim Kraft

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 09:32:44 PM »

A couple of other things. I used the angled mounting tabs that bolt to the engine bolts to mount my Orwick. If you have those they work well with one little minor fix. The case bolts are 5-40. Floyd Carter gave me the idea to ream them out to 6-32, and use elastic lock nuts on the rear. It worked fine for me. Otherwise, you can bolt it to the firewall.
Jim Kraft

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 08:35:59 AM »
Hi, Jim thanks for the quick response.

Here are my two new Orwick engines.

I'm not sure of the displacement - they both have nine fins.

Is one preferable to the other?

Bob Z.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 01:28:10 PM »

The green one appears to be a late model Orwick 65. The other is a Cunnigham Blue Streak. Cunningham contracted to Orwick in his early engine production, but later they had a falling out as He did not believe Cunningham was finishing the parts like he was supposed to.

If you take the back plate off of your Orwick the first thing you will notice is the rod is polished to a mirror. The pistons are made from nickel cast combo.

Orwick welded the pin bosses in the piston to keep them light. They are a work of art. From what I have heard Floyd Carter has them both also, and as far as I know they both run about the same. RJL still produces the Cunnigham blue streak, and I have not looked lately but I believe some if not all the parts are interchangeable.

What is the serial number on the back plate of your Orwick? I can tell you about when it was made and the slight differences there are in them.

All of the 9 fin Orwicks were made and assembled by Orwick Himself.

I would say any of the three, the Orwick, the Cunningham blue streak, or the Anderson Spitfire would be great. They are all well made powerful engines that seem to run forever. The power between the three would be negligible. I love them all.
Jim Kraft

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2024, 02:08:38 PM »
Hi, Jim.
Sorry about the confusion - yes, the one engine is a Blue Streak. I found the box and as you can see, it's a (RJL) reproduction.

The Orwick may also be a repro. The serial number is R64025 and "ORWICK" is stamped on the exhaust port in tiny letters.

OK, so, what have I got?????????????????
Are the repros any good?

Bob Z.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 09:24:23 PM »

Hi Bob. Yes, those are both good repro engines. I am guessing by the pictures that the Orwick is a Brit built Orwick by Dunham. All the reproductions that I know of are very good. K&M built quite a few, but they were all the 11 fin engines.

Dunham also reproduced the 74 which was Orwicks early engine. But they were 10 fin.

Yours really looks like an Orwick built engine from the details, but the R makes it a repro. Odd though, As far as I know the K&M repro's had the R and 5 numbers but were the 11 fin version.

Either way, they are all Good.
Jim Kraft

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here