News:

• May 09, 2024, 03:53:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Aviastar engines  (Read 14457 times)

Offline John E Rakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Brodak Aviastar engines
« on: November 20, 2009, 07:17:19 AM »
Fiddlin thru Brodak website and noticed the aviastar engines. Anyone have any experiences with these. That .61 may be an awesome combo with the light T REX. They are priced very nicely. Thanks John Rakes

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak Aviastar engines
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:27:33 AM »
I'd be wary of the Aviastar John.  Its essentially a converted R/C engine instead of a dedicated stunt motor.  I know Bob Zambelli had good results with the test examples he posted about here, but, there isn't to my knowledge a big body of work out there of people using them, meaning if you have some run issues different than what Bob sorted out you may be kind of on your own figuring out what it needs.
On the plus side, with the R/C mounts on the T-Rex, if the motor cannot be well sorted out, you can always easily try something else in there...
Steve

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 08:44:21 AM »
Not to nit pick here but supposedly the Brodak imported Aviastars have had some internal changes to make them more suitable for stunt. That being said, for a few $$ more I'd get the Enya 61 CSX from Randy. That is a nice running engine w/excellent workmanship. Now...shouldn't this thread be moved to "Engines"?  :!
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 10:37:11 AM »
I happen to have an Aviastar .46 that has been modified for U/C, note this is not the Brodak version, mine came to me through a friend.  The carburetor was replaced with a U/C carburetor and it was re timed for control line.  On the bench it runs quite well and is very east to hand start.  On the down side HEAVY, and the engine mounts are spaced wider than any 40/46 that I have.  In fact it is wider than my ST .51 which I had planned to replace with the Aviastar.   Haven't flown with it yet, I plan to put a plane together to test the motor on. 
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 08:44:21 PM »
In the fall of 2008 I was down at the Brodak Field and a friend had one of these on those ( a .61) on his Legacy. He asked me to fly the plane and give him my thoughts. The plane needed some trimming TLC and the engine had the familiar schneurle run aways! Since Lou Woolard was there I told him to take it off his plane, give it to Lou, and ask him to set it up for stunt! He did as I suggested and now, one year later my friend is one happy fella as to his Aviastar Engine! Lou does excellent work and made this engine into a fine performer. There's always a way to make it better if you really want to! So John if you really one one of these go ahead and get it! You've got friends who can improve it if it needs it!

Phil Spillman   
Phil Spillman

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 05:58:51 AM »
If an engine is advertised for stunt/precision aerobatics,  why after spending good money do we have to spend even more to get it run right?  I have one that has been worked on(not an Aviastar) that has been worked on several times and still doesn't run right.  So it has become a sport engine.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 10:12:24 AM »
If an engine is advertised for stunt/precision aerobatics,  why after spending good money do we have to spend even more to get it run right?  I have one that has been worked on(not an Aviastar) that has been worked on several times and still doesn't run right.  So it has become a sport engine.

You don't, the engines Brodak is selling are not the same engines available from other suppliers. The rework has already been done.. At least thats what I've been told and have no reason to doubt it.

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 11:45:25 AM »
   Phil was that a Brodak Aviastar engine or was it bought from another supplier ?
AMA 325076

Offline John E Rakes

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 11:50:03 AM »
Thanks guys that helps. I did see where there is an engine set up ant tips section to the forum. Since I do not actually own the aviastar yet I thought I was correct where I made this post. Actually you should have mentioned product reviews if it was that big a deal. Thanks again

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 05:11:14 PM »
Brodak web site lists the engine parameters as follows:

.46 : Bore: 0.8856 Stroke: 0.7559 Weight: 12.69 oz.
.53 : Bore: 0.8856 Stroke: 0.866 Weight: 12.62 oz.
.61 : Bore: 0.9448 Stroke: 0.866 Weight: 11.9 oz.

It is my understanding that they all have the same mounting dimensions.

Mounting hole centers fore/aft : 18mm
Mounting hole centers left/right: 44mm

Only the 46 and 53 dimensions are on the Aviatronics website.
http://www.aviatronics.com/dimensio.htm

I've been mildly interested in these engines but don't own one. I didn't think the
.61 was particularly weighty. Enya .61 and ST v60 weigh the same, don't they?

So perhaps for the 61 it would come down to engine run (reports from the field).

My 2 cents.
Chris

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »
According to the above mentioned website, the designer is a CL speed champ...

"Our Chief Designer and co-owner, Mr.S.J. Ye started his modeling career in 1952 after his college education majoring in the designing of combustion engines. He was the first to break the Chinese National control line speed record in 1959...He designed and made engines for the Chinese National Team.   Over the years there were 23 various modeling world records being made by his team under his guidance.Mr. Ye is also one of the two FAI approved International F3A judges in China. He has been participating in the judging panels for World F3A events on many occasions."  
 http://www.aviatronics.com/company.htm

Must be a pretty decent motor.

ps..I am moving this to the engine forum!
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 10:08:52 PM »
 Just weighed my old ST.60 and it came in at 12.1 ounces without a muffler. So at least the Brodak .61 is in the ball park at 11.9 ounces .
  Bill Barber
AMA 325076

Offline Luiz Ribeiro

• Lieutenant
    • Ribeiro's Home Page
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 02:20:31 AM »
I have ordered an Aviastar .61 CL from Brodak. I am from Brazil and I will have to wait some days until I receive it.

If you, guys, enter in the site of Aviastar/Aviatronics you will see that they tell they put in the Aviastar CL .61 all the experience they acquired when they projected the engine that won the world F2A championship in Ukraine, wined by the Chinese team in 1998.

http://www.aviatronics.com/world.htm
http://www.aviatronics.com/l.htm

If this is true, we wouldn’t have to retime it to stunt operation. I agree that Enya CL 61 CSX is a much better worth value engine, but I am not finding it for sale. Enya says that it is Sold Out and doesn’t give any idea when they will have it again for sale.

It would be good if anybody who has an Aviastar .61 CL for some time, could give us his experience with this engine. I didn’t find very much about it in CL engines forums or a review in an aero model magazine.  I suppose that very few people have already bought or tried it.    

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 06:27:42 PM by Luiz Ribeiro »

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 03:00:18 AM »
I have ordered an Aviastar .61 CL from Brodak. I am from Brazil and I will have to wait some days until I receive it.

If this is true, we wouldn’t have to retime it to stunt operation. I agree that Enya CL 61 CSX is a much better worth value engine, but I am not finding it for sale. Enya says that it is Sold Out and doesn’t give any idea when they will have it again for sale.

It would be good if anybody who has an Aviastar .61 CL for some time, could give us his experience with this engine. I didn’t find very much about it in CL engines forums or a review in an aero model magazine.  I suppose that very few people have already bought or tried it.   

Luiz,

Where do you fly? Have you heard about www.stunthobby.com ?  Perhaps you didn’t notice that we are the only hobby store in Brazil that cares about C/L and I have one Enya 61CX TN for sale. Also I carry products from Aeroproducts, Brodak, Enya, RSM, OS Stalker, ST and many other brands. Please next time you need C/L products contact me ok. This market is very small and I need to count with everyone here in Brazil to keep me in business. Nothing is more frustrating to me then hearing that some one bought products I have from a broad. If you add shipping, IOF and import taxes my prices end up cheaper and you are helping C/L in your country.

I also can drop ship directly from Brodak and with a discount!

Martin
www.stunthobby.com
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Luiz Ribeiro

• Lieutenant
    • Ribeiro's Home Page
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 03:28:03 AM »

If you, guys, enter in the site of Aviastar/Aviatronics you will see that they tell they put in the Aviastar CL .61 all the experience they acquired when they projected the engine that won the world F2A championship in Ukraine, won by the Chinese team in 1998.

http://www.aviatronics.com/world.htm
http://www.aviatronics.com/l.htm

It would be good if anybody who has an Aviastar .61 CL for some time, could give us his experience with this engine. I didn’t find very much about it in CL engines forums or a review in an aero model magazine.  I suppose that very few people have already bought or tried it.   

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 03:33:42 AM »

I've been mildly interested in these engines but don't own one. I didn't think the
.61 was particularly weighty. Enya .61 and ST v60 weigh the same, don't they?

FWIW, I measured using the same scale and the Enya 61CX is 0.5 Oz lighter then a ST 60.  The Enya 61CX is much stronger then an ST 60

Martin

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 04:06:24 AM by Martin Quartim »

Offline Luiz Ribeiro

• Lieutenant
    • Ribeiro's Home Page
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 06:35:47 AM »
Pardon, Martin, but Enya 61 CX TN is for RC and I suppose it is not tuned for CL. Is it? I am still looking for some information about Aviastar CL .61 that I have already ordered. Thanks.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 04:52:47 PM »
My two cents on the Aviastar engines. First off, the only experience I have is with the .53. I received the very first one from China to evaluate for CL use.

Letting common sense prevail, I ran the engine in a somewhat heavy stunter exactly as it was shipped to me. Disappointing but not surprising. The engine exhibited the exact kind of runaway that I expected. I know that some common fixes are to modify the sleeve timing or to drop the sleeve a bit but since I was not familiar with the plating method and logically feared the plating peeling off, I decided to work first with head modifications.

A number of iterations yielded the configuration shown in the picture, which compares mine to the stock head. It not only has the increased combustion chamber radius but the squish band also tapers UPWARD 5 degrees - a trick I learned as a development engineer for Homelite. This final version yielded runs that were indeed much better than I expected. There was never a runaway and the power was close to that of a Super Tiger 60 (that's what was on the plane before I fitted the Aviastar)

I do no have much interest in the larger engines but I wanted to let the Aviastar prove itself. I gave the prototype the Tom Weedman and he evaluated it quite thouroughly. You can find the details in CL world, April 2009. When I gave it to Tom, it had around one hour and 30 minutes total run time. I told Tom that it still felt a bit tight and that he might want to bench run it a bit more. After doing so, he dialed it in even better with additional head shims - read about it in CL World.

Now for the big question. After I did the work on it, I sent all the info to the manufacturer, along with a suggestion that two extra head shims be included. Were all my instructions indeed followed?
If so, the 53 should be one fine stunt engine.

Bob Z.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 10:29:06 AM »
Say Bob, any chance of getting a Brodak .61 for a follow up article on this forum and in CL World to compare your prototype Aviastar to the production version? Why the .61?, mainly because that seems to be the engine that most are curious about.  It seems to me that the changes that were made to the .53 would apply to the .61.  Inquiring minds want to know.  y1
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 10:56:29 AM »
Hi, Pete - that's a great idea. I would say that the best thing to do would be to borrow a recently purchased engine and take the head off. If it was modified per my specification, I would suggest that Tom Weedman try it in the same plane as the 53.

If the manufacturer did not do the head as I suggested, we would in all likelihood be faced with the same runaway issues as I encountered on the prototype 53.

Also, I will contact Brodak - maybe I can borrow a new 61, check it out and let Tom evaluate it.

One thing that must be realized on the Aviastars - they need a lot of run in time to realize their full potential - at least 90 minutes.

Bob Z.

Offline Luiz Ribeiro

• Lieutenant
    • Ribeiro's Home Page
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 11:10:53 AM »
Hi Bob,

Which kind of muffler did you use in the .53? Was it the original or a tongue muffler? What kind of fuel, oil, etc.?
How long did you run it in a bench before flying? Do you think that only two or more shims could give some improvement?  What about the venturi, was it the original?

I didn’t receive my 61 yet, customs here in Brazil spends so much time to liberate packages on Christmas month. As soon as I receive it, I will exam the head and will tell what I find.

I agree that it is a great idea you or Tom to evaluate the .61.

Thanks.     Luiz

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 04:20:35 PM »
  Bob , because the Aviastar .61 is the lightest of the three Aviastar CL motors , that's were the interest is . If the .61 turns out to be a good motor for stunt with a price of  $150 , that's a good deal  .
  Bill Barber
AMA 325076

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 05:19:35 AM »
Bill - I agree. Unfortunately, when I did the development work on the 53, that was, to my knowledge, the only size available. You're correct in stating that the 61 would be of more interest, weighing less but certainly delivering more useable power.

Liuz - the venturi that came with the engine was too small (.24 ID) and too long.
The final version of the venturi is .348 diameter (this sounds a bit large - I will check it and verify)
I bench ran it for approximately 30 minutes before mounting it on the test plane. I used a simple tongue muffler that I made for a Super Tiger 60. A bit loud but very free-flowing.
The fuel of choice was Brodak 10-23, 50/50 castor/synthetic.
Since it did not come with a needle valve, I fitted a Super Tiger NVA.
Regarding shims, if the engine does not perform to your liking, you can often dial it in by adding or removing shims.

Bob Z.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 04:34:38 AM »
Pardon, Martin, but Enya 61 CX TN is for RC and I suppose it is not tuned for CL. Is it? I am still looking for some information about Aviastar CL .61 that I have already ordered. Thanks.

Luiz,

the only difference is that the TN has a higher compression head, however Christoph Holtermann, he's with the Germany WC team, found no difference at all. And the heads are available.

Unfortunately Enya is no longer making this engine and has no plans for the near future.

Martin

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 03:17:42 PM »
Luiz,

Unfortunately Enya is no longer making this engine and has no plans for the near future.
Martin

Do you mean that Enya will no longer be making the 61 CX control line stunt version?
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 03:43:27 PM »
Do you mean that Enya will no longer be making the 61 CX control line stunt version?

yes my friend, samething for the R/C one. They said they use a very special and rare aluminum to make the pistons for this engine and they are not finding it to make more engines.  They might unveil a ring version of this engine.

Martin

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 10:17:05 PM »
 People must be interested in the Aviastar engines , this topic has had over 1100 hits !
 Bill Barber
AMA 325076

Alan Hahn

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 06:33:40 PM »
People must be interested in the Aviastar engines , this topic has had over 1100 hits !
 Bill Barber

That actually really is impressive!

On a side issue----does anyone else have an issue with Richard Grogan's avatar? When I scroll down and hit  it for the first time it really stalls my browser (Mac Safari) for ~10 seconds or so. Kind of strange I think.

Offline Michael Reed

• New Pilot
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 10:48:57 PM »
So has anybody had a chance to play with the .61 yet? I'm really interested in this engine.

There are tons of available affordable engines .46 or less plus the ST .51 but for .60 to .61 there is nothing. Seems like everyone expects you to buy a Pro class engine if you want to fly a .60 size ship.

Mike

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2009, 01:07:49 PM »
      Ok , we are at 1300 hits on this subject and still no one has a Brodak Aviastar .61 report . I guess the only motor they have sold must be the .51 !
   Bill
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 02:22:12 PM by Bill Barber »
AMA 325076

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2009, 06:36:52 PM »
     Ok , we are at 1300 hits on this subject and still no one has a Brodak Aviastar .61 report . I guess the only motor they have sold must be the .51 !

Even if they hadn't, it sometimes takes several seasons to really know what an engine can do and to come up with an ideal setup for it. I know that I wouldn't report on any engine I had unless I was very certain that I knew it's characteristics.

Brett

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2009, 01:36:07 PM »
  I believe the Brodak Aviastar motors came out last spring and wouldn't expect a long term report . But maybe a first impression on the .61 , how it runs after break in ?       There is a report on the on the .53 and it seems people on this site are interested to know if the .61 runs the same .

Bill

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 09:39:39 AM by Bill Barber »
AMA 325076

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2009, 02:29:22 PM »
I'm interested in these.

According to this, there are 46, 53, and 61 displacements, but all in the same case and the 61 is the lightest.  So as I see it, the only smart buy is the 61.  If you don't need the power, you can choke down the venturi and still be lighter than a 46 or 53.  

I'm curious as to the weight and cost of it's close competators.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:30:16 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2009, 04:37:19 PM »
There does appear to be something mysterious going on here. You would think there would be AT LEAST ONE AVIASTAR .61 somewhere on the planet that at least, one person would come forth and say, I bought one-hmmm.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2009, 05:17:04 PM »
I was hoping someone would try one on a T-Rex. With its R/C motor mount it would be a great test plane for the larger SE engines.  :!
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Luiz Ribeiro

• Lieutenant
    • Ribeiro's Home Page
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2009, 05:47:09 AM »
Hi Bob Z, Bill Barber and fellows,

I received my CL Aviastar .61, from Brodak, one week ago.

The first impression was good. The cast is well done and it doesn’t show any defect. The general appearance is the same of another engine of good and known brand.

I removed the back plate and the head and didn’t see any scraps or materials that would compromise its working (see the photos). All parts were clean and free of dirty, including the rear bearings.

I weighted the engine without muffler and got 339 g (11.93 Oz), exactly the same that Aviastar and Brodak show in their advertisement, and the same weight of Enya .61 CXS Pro, that is considered a good and light engine. The stock muffler weighted 93 g (3.41 Oz) with its screws, what, I feel, is in the heavy side. I didn’t like its size, either, so I ordered an Aviastar tongue muffler from Brodak almost together the order of the engine, and I have already received it. Its weight is 27 g (.95 Oz) with the screws and it seems to be a good tongue muffler. The stock venturi that came with the engine is of 8 mm in diameter (0,317”). They offer optional venturis of 6.5 mm and 7.5 mm for the .61.

One thing that I was disappointed is that the manufacturer and Brodak didn’t change the head as suggested by Robert Zambelli (Bob Z), as posted in this forum (see the  photo of the head), even though they included in the box an optional shim to use if we want. I didn’t like the shape of the combustion chamber, either.

Another thing that I didn’t like is that the fitting between piston and sleeve seems to me to be too loose. This can compromise the power of the engine. As it is an ABC, it would have to be very tight with the sleeve when cold, as right out of the box.  If it was a ringed engine this wouldn’t be a matter, because when it gets warmer, during working, it gets tighter. But with ABC is the opposite. So, I am worried about this. As Bob Z told, the .53 had a good tight fit, so I don’t know if this is a characteristic only of the engine that I received or of all the Aviastar .61.
I am an RCer since a long time and I had and still have at home many engines .46; .61; .75; .90, 2T, and others, ringed, lapped or ABC, that I flight and broken in. I only flight with control line when I was young, between 1962 and 1965. Since then, I only experienced to fly again with control line during six months in 1991 when I started, together my sons, with RC. Now, I am interested in coming back to CL, as an alternative to the lack of space for RC and the appeal that CL offers.

I am very accustomed to disassemble my engines to clean, replace the bearings (front and rear), pistons, sleeves, conrods, crankshafts, etc, even 4T, so I feel very comfortable in removing the head and back plate to exam inside the engines before running them for the first time.

I apologize for my English, because I am Brazilian and live in Sao Paulo, Brazil, where we speak Portuguese.

Luiz
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:22:35 AM by Luiz Ribeiro »

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2009, 08:59:28 AM »
Thanks for that first impression. I wouldn't worry too much about the pince (or lack of it) until you run it. If it starts fine both hot and cold...no problems. I have noticed some ABC engines have a great deal of "pinch" where others  don't exhibit as much but it doesn't seem to effect their run-ability.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2009, 09:00:54 AM »
  Luiz , like you I am disappointed that the head is not modified to what Bob Z. recommended . But still interested in your impression of the .61 after break in . Your English is very good ,  much better than my Portuguese .  H^^
AMA 325076

Offline Luiz Ribeiro

• Lieutenant
    • Ribeiro's Home Page
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2009, 09:35:56 AM »
I bench ran the .61 Aviastar.

Before running the engine, I attached the venturi with the spray bar to the cranckcase. One thing that I noticed is that it would be better if it had come with an O-ring for the base of the venturi. The joint wasn’t sealing the air very well and there was an air leak and a play between the venturi and the crankcase, so I provided an O-ring from an old carburetor of an OS-46 SF and fixed the problem.

I used a long Fox glow plug that was more flushed with the combustion chamber than an Enya 3, that is of medium length. In another time I will try an Enya 3. I forgot to bring an optional Enya 3 glow plug when I went out to run the engine.

Because the relative loose fit between sleeve and piston the compression was not as strong as I would like and in the primaries attempts I flooded the engine. Then I removed the muffler and started it without muffler, which is better for the first runs, besides the strong noise.

After starting I looked for some leaking of fuel and bubbles near the back plate, the head joints and glow plug, and I didn’t find anything wrong, so the poor compression is not caused by any leak at those points. Maybe is caused by the loosing piston fit, even.

I got the following numbers after running four tanks of 12 ounces each (the firsts three with 20% castor and no nitro and the last with 10% castor, 10% synthetic and 10% nitro), stopping after each 5 min and open and closing needle valve during the runs:

Master Airscrew 11X7 (wide): 9600 rpm for 4-2 cycle and 10700 rpm in the maximum speed, without muffler.

APC 12X7 (wide): 9300 rpm for 4-2 cycle and 10400 rpm in the maximum speed, without muffler.

APC 12X7 (wide): 9000 rpm and 10000 rpm, with the tongue muffler.

I observe that Master Airscrew is not making 11X7 wide props anymore. This one is an old that I have at home for more than ten years, still new and in good conditions.
These numbers are not great. I used to run an OS .61 SF for RC in a speed of almost 12000 rpm with an APC 12X8 (wide). But, for the other side, we have to consider that the diameter of the air intake of the OS carburetor was 9.5 mm, when fully opened, against 8 mm of the venturi of the Aviastar, and that we use only 16% of oil in fuel for RC. So, I don’t know if these numbers for Aviastar are acceptable or not. My feeling is that they are not good.
I didn’t force the Aviastar too much, yet, because it is new. So, I am thinking in bench running it again, to force it a little more and to try another glow plug and props, but I don’t  know if I will find much better numbers than those, and I am not with much time for this now.
I’d like to hear something about these numbers from somebody who has more experience with CL engines.

Thanks.     Luiz
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:50:48 AM by Luiz Ribeiro »

Offline Luiz Ribeiro

• Lieutenant
    • Ribeiro's Home Page
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2009, 10:34:54 AM »
I forgot to say that the engine ran continuous and smoothly all the times after it started, and it didn’t ran way any time, even when I was turning on and off the needle. My bench is portable and I turned it up and down during the running to see the behavior of the engine. It didn’t show any trouble.
It is also ease to start it besides I had some problems with flooding, when starting using the muffler. I have to start it more times with the muffler attached to get a conclusion.
The APC  prop that I used in the bench running related was the APC normal 12X7 (Sport).

Regards       Luiz

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2009, 10:53:24 AM »
Not to worry, those are pretty good numbers IMHO. Comparing peak HP with an R/C engine is usually an invalid test as often the quality of the stunt run is more important than peak power or RPM. Also, other than on a 4 cycle engine a 7" pitch prop is seldom used in C/L stunt. I would see how it runs with a 12x6 or 12x5 prop and in flight. The bench runs sound promising though. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2009, 10:42:06 AM »
I'm a bit puzzled as to why Aviastar did not incorporate the head mods into the 61. Although I suggested the change across the board, maybe they only did it on the 53.  ??? ???

In any case, here's my offer. If anyone wishes to experiment with the reconfigured head, send me an Aviastar head, either from your engine or purchase a new one and I will do the mod for you. This will allow comparison to the stock head to see which yields the preferred run style.
I do not charge for this - all you pay is return postage.  y1

Robert Zambelli
1036 Jonte Ln
Manning, SC 29102

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2009, 10:59:16 AM »
Luiz,  your english is great.  Now after running the engine, has the compression come up any?  I too have had engines that seemed a little low on compression until I had put a few runs on them.  Keep us posted.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »
  Robert , that is a very gracious offer . But it will be interesting to hear what Luiz has to say about his .61 with the unmodified head , after he breaks it in.
  Happy New Year
      Bill
AMA 325076

Offline Luiz Ribeiro

• Lieutenant
    • Ribeiro's Home Page
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2009, 12:38:30 PM »
Bob, Pete and John

I am very grateful for your comments.

Pete, about the props, I was thinking to use a 13X5 (Zinger or Bolly), 13X4 (idem) or even a 12X6 (APC) for CL, in this order. The propellers that I used in the firsts runs (11X7 and 12X7) were what I had, balanced, at home at the moment, and that fitted in the Aviastar, but they can give an idea of what will be possible with the other props. At that time I was interested, too, in make a comparison with the engines I am accustomed to use in RC, as a reference for power. I agree when you say that this doesn’t mean too much, in function of their different proposals and characteristics.

Bob, thank you for your offer. I am thinking in order a head from Brodak and ask them to send directly to you to do the mod, but I think that they don’t have the head or crankcase to sell. I don’t know why, because they have all the other replacement pieces for the engine. I will try to see this with them. An alternative would be to send mine for the job.

John, I hope so; with the ringed engines this is the rule, but with an ABC this is not usual, even though it is not impossible.

Thanks and a Happy New Year for All.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:39:03 AM by Luiz Ribeiro »

Offline Luiz Ribeiro

• Lieutenant
    • Ribeiro's Home Page
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2010, 08:12:31 AM »
John, I hope so; with the ringed engines this is the rule, but with an ABC it is not usual, even though it is not impossible.

Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:09:43 AM by Luiz Ribeiro »

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2010, 09:07:22 AM »
Gents - the offer for the free head mod still stands but please, DO NOT send the entire engine - just the head.
I normally perform the mod immediately and when possible, return the head the next day.
I will also do heads for the 53 and 46.
IMPORTANT: please include with the head a note with the exact bore of the engine so that I can accurately configure the squish band.
Bob Z.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2010, 10:00:16 AM »
I spoke with John Brodak on Saturday and he was also a bit puzzled as to why the head changes were not incorporated.

In any case, he too is in favor of the head mod that I offered, as well as hearing from anyone who has tried the engines, especially the .61.

If anyone would like to comment on their results, as well as offering suggestions, please send the info to me and I will forward it to him. Possibly we can include it in a future CL World article.

Bob Z.

Offline Luiz Ribeiro

• Lieutenant
    • Ribeiro's Home Page
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2010, 05:53:16 AM »
On the middle of January I bench ran the .61 Aviastar again, with a prop 12.5X5 (Master Airscrew Classic). This prop is used in RC for scale models. It is not the prop that I intend to use with the Aviastar for CL, yet, but nearer the size of the one that I plan to use.

The numbers that I got were:

9600 rpm for 4-2 cycles and 11300 rpm in the max speed (without muffler, Fox long plug)

9700 rpm for 4-2 cycles and 11600 rpm in the max speed (without muffler, Enya 3 plug)

9400 rpm for 4-2 cycles and 11000 rpm in the max (with tongue muffler, Enya 3 plug)

As Pete Cunha opined before for the other props, they are not so bad.

In spite of the lack of compression, it restarted easily when hot. The only thing that I had to do in this condition was to bring the fuel, by gravity, until the entry of the Venturi, by disconnecting the fuel line, turning the fuel line down and connecting it again, after fuel arrived. With this, after flipping the prop two or three times, it restarted. When hot it didn’t have enough compression (vacuum) to suck the fuel only by choking the Venturi and hand flipping the propeller, so the necessity to do something more to suck the fuel. This, sometimes, happens with ABC engines in this situation. As it is an engine for stunt, not for speed, this doesn’t bother any much.
One other thing that I observed in these last runs is that in one of them the engine ran away when I turned it to up side (70° more or less). Even after turning the engine back to level and opening the needle valve, more three or four turns, its speed didn’t slow down. The only way to stop with the run away was to pinch the fuel line, stop the engine, close back the needle to the original aperture and restart. After then, it restarted normally, in 4-2 T and it didn’t happen again, but it can happen and in flight, that would be worse, so I am considering sending its head to Bob Z to do the mod that he offered.

The compression of my .61 Aviastar, when cold, compared to a typical .61 ABC, giving a number, is about 40% of it. When it arrived was with something between 20 and 30%. It raised a little, after bench running the engine for three sections, but it only hit this value, that I would say is a little below 40%. With 70% I would be satisfied. The growth (10% to 20%) of compression was almost all due to the unburned castor oil between cylinder and piston when the engine stops wet.

So, at first, I intend to order from Brodak another cylinder and piston, with a better tight fit, to solve the problem of compression and, then, I will send the head to Bob Z to do the mod. I expect that with the mod the compression tends to diminish a little, since the volume of the combustion chamber will grow a bit, but nothing to worry about, if the engine has a good compression.

Since January 04, I am exchanging e-mails with Brodak Mnfc, telling about the poor compression of the engine and about my interest in ordering another cylinder and piston assembly for it. My unique condition was that it had a good tight fit. Brodak Mnfc. is always telling me that they would be sending another one, with the fit that I was asking. They only asked me to wait sometime until they have it to ship. They also let me know by enter lines that they would not bill me for this, although I have already said that I would pay for it and for its postage. The last e-mail I received from them was on January 28, telling me that they would be with it in a few days. So, I am waiting for the confirmation of the shipment and the amount to be paid, if necessary.

Luiz

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2010, 03:02:15 PM »
  Luiz , any updates on your Avistar  .61 ?
  Bill
AMA 325076

Offline Luiz Ribeiro

• Lieutenant
    • Ribeiro's Home Page
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2010, 04:31:05 PM »
Bill! Sorry for the delay in answering your post.

I received the new cylinder and piston from Brodak by the end of February. They shipped it on Feb/09 and didn’t bill me for this. The long time spent (almost 20 days) until I received it was due Brazilian Post Offices and Customs. The new play has a better compression than the original even though I can’t say it has a high compression (it is more acceptable and reliable than the first one).

Bench running and after braking in it again, I got the follow numbers:

Propeller 12.5X5 (Master Airscrew Classic):
9500 rpm (4-2 cycles) X 11200 rpm (max speed) : without muffler, Fox long plug
9700 rpm (4-2 cycles) X 11500 rpm (max speed) : without muffler, Enya 3 plug
9400 rpm (4-2 cycles) X 11200 rpm (max speed) : with Enya .61 stock muffler, Enya3 plug

Propeller 13X4 (Master Airscrew K-series):
10200 rpm (4-2 cycles) X 11600 rpm (max speed) : without muffler, Fox long plug
  9400 rpm (4-2 cycles) X 11300 rpm (max speed) : with Enya .61 stock muffler, Fox long plug

Propeller 13X4 (Zinger):
9200 rpm (4-2 cycles) X 10700 rpm (max speed) : without muffler, Fox long plug
8900 rpm (4-2 cycles) X 10400 rpm (max speed) : with Enya .61 stock muffler, Fox long plug

These numbers are very similar to those obtained with the original set, and they are not bad as remarked before. It was easy to start (hot or cold) and ran continuously and smoothly as the original.

I showed the engine, already with the new piston and cylinder installed, to a person here who builds RC and C/L engines and told him the results of the bench runs. He suggested me to put the engine in a plane and fly. Although he prefers more compression, he considers that the only way to get a conclusion is flying and that the engine can performs well and lasts for a long time even without a stronger compression.  

By now I don’t have a plane to install the .61 Aviastar, only a Strega ARC kit from Brodak that I bought together the Aviastar in last November, thinking in installing the engine on it. By many reasons, including the engine, I didn’t mount the plane yet. The C/L planes that I have ready to fly are a Vector 40 ARF, bought from Brodak, and mounted a year ago, and a Pathfinder ARF (Brodak kit) that I bought more recently from Martin Quartin in Brazil, who has a control line store here.  As I don’t fly C/L since a long time, only RCs, I bought the Vector and a .46 OS C/L LA engine to train, but until now I didn’t fly with it. I recently decided to mount the Pathfinder, that is more appropriated to restart with C/L, and installed the OS .46 LA of the Vector on it. The Vector is reserved for the next step and the Strega, maybe, for the further.

So, I can’t test the Aviastar in flight now. It would be very good if any body else, who has a plane to  install it, could fly and test the engine in flight as proposed in a prior post, by Bob Z, in this Forum.

Luiz

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 05:51:10 PM by Luiz Ribeiro »

Offline Luiz Ribeiro

• Lieutenant
    • Ribeiro's Home Page
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2010, 07:35:42 AM »
To finish with my bench runs:

I ran the Aviastar .61 with an APC 13X4 (Sport) propeller, the same prop that Martin Quartim was running with authority in his Brodak Strega, equipped with an Enya ABC Pro .61 CXS.

The Aviastar always started on the first or second flip (after choking with two flips), when cold, in despite of its lower compression. I used the stock venturi (8 mm) in all runs. Got the following #s in the bench:

9900 rpm (4-2 cycles) X 11100 rpm (max speed): with Enya .61 stock muffler, Fox Long plug
9800 rpm (4-2 cycles) X 11100 rpm (max speed): with Enya .61 stock muffler, Enya3 plug

Seeing Martin's posts in this forum:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=16881.msg154996#msg154996

Or in this other: http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=106&topic_id=1660&mesg_id=1660&page=#1824

We can conclude that the Strega, with the Aviastar .61, could be launched with the same 10400 rpm (rich 2 cycles) and the same APC 13X4 Sport prop he was using in his Strega, with the Enya .61 Pro CXS, with the same power and torque, necessary to pull it with authority.

Remains to know its behavior in flight and the possibility of run away, which can be solved as proposed by Bob Z, if it happens.

Ps: One thing that I forgot to mention in the prior posts is that the engine always showed a very strong pinch of the piston on the top of cylinder, even when the first cylinder/piston assembly was installed, what doesn't necessarily mean a high compression.

Luiz
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:56:27 PM by Luiz Ribeiro »

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2015, 03:01:22 PM »
Did a search and found this old thread. Ok so 5 years down the line. Does anyone have experience with the Brodak Aviastar 61?

MM

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2015, 04:46:06 PM »
Here is a newer thread on the engine:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=32116.0

Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715