News:

• May 10, 2024, 07:37:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak .40 vs LA .46  (Read 9416 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Brodak .40 vs LA .46
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2011, 11:20:22 AM »
HI Brett,

On the Yatsenko site, Yuriy goes into a bit about why he prefers wood.  Just a thought thrown out to Steven since he is fluent in "Russian"!  ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2011, 12:32:11 PM »
I personally flew and setup a Yat. Shark with the stock wood props and then a light 13 inch CF prop, the plane performed much better with the CF prop in light winds and way better in heavy winds, It was also much more consistant in going thru manuavers with the CF prop, and you could feel the wood prop depitching and fluttering\buzzing (feel in the handle, and see the slowdown in corners) when the higher winds would really load it in turns, The CF prop didn't do this.
So ya pays your money and take what you get. I would have liked to have setup a CF prop with the larger diameter that the wood ones had, I would expect even more performance in less than ideal condidtions. I have done this with 1 Shark, but it didn't have the DR 60 in it

Regards
Randy

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2011, 10:11:02 AM »
Great thread; sorry I was off line for awhile and missed the beginning.

Yea, like most I have both, and have found that the B40 will not start inverted, or when hot, but does give a great 4-2-4 break. The LA46 really is a "one-flip" engine and gives very consistant runs, but is heavy. I've had no backplate issues and find the remote needle just fine; haven't tried anything different however.

As for props; the B40 spinning an RSM 10/6 gave great performance on a Super Chipmonk (51.5 oz). After reading a thread about the Vess props I tried a Vess 10/6. What a dissapointment. I had to run the B40 on a hard 2 stroke to get the same lap times; it was like the Vess couldn't bite into the air at all. I've since tried old Top Flite 10/6 (from the 60's) and found it's performance on par with the RSM . . . or is the performance of the RSM on par with the Top Flite?

If I could have only one . . . probably the LA46; then build slightly bigger airplanes . . . but I really like both.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »
I personally flew and setup a Yat. Shark with the stock wood props and then a light 13 inch CF prop, the plane performed much better with the CF prop in light winds and way better in heavy winds, It was also much more consistant in going thru manuavers with the CF prop, and you could feel the wood prop depitching and fluttering\buzzing (feel in the handle, and see the slowdown in corners) when the higher winds would really load it in turns, The CF prop didn't do this.
So ya pays your money and take what you get. I would have liked to have setup a CF prop with the larger diameter that the wood ones had, I would expect even more performance in less than ideal condidtions. I have done this with 1 Shark, but it didn't have the DR 60 in it

Regards
Randy

HI Randy,

It would appear to "me" that a wood prop could not be as rigid as a CF prop, and would suffer more "flex" under varying loads.  Maybe a wood prop "could be as stiff, but then it would have to weight more, or be of some wood that I am not familiar with. ;D   

Is that correct? 

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2011, 11:22:15 AM »
HI Randy,

It would appear to "me" that a wood prop could not be as rigid as a CF prop, and would suffer more "flex" under varying loads.  Maybe a wood prop "could be as stiff, but then it would have to weight more, or be of some wood that I am not familiar with. ;D   

Is that correct? 

Thanks!
Bill

Correct Bill

That is the main reason people pay for a CF prop, They are very stiff and thin. The new RSM Props are great for wood props, some of the most stiff vs. thickness of most wood props I have seen lately

Randy

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2011, 12:44:09 PM »
" and have found that the B40 will not start inverted,"

Brian

Glad my inverted B40's haven't read this....... ;D

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
" and have found that the B40 will not start inverted,"

Brian

Glad my inverted B40's haven't read this....... ;D

Jim
Besides putting blinders on your B40's, what's your technique/secret?

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2011, 05:31:20 PM »
Great thread; sorry I was off line for awhile and missed the beginning.

Yea, like most I have both, and have found that the B40 will not start inverted, or when hot, but does give a great 4-2-4 break. The LA46 really is a "one-flip" engine and gives very consistant runs, but is heavy. I've had no backplate issues and find the remote needle just fine; haven't tried anything different however.

As for props; the B40 spinning an RSM 10/6 gave great performance on a Super Chipmonk (51.5 oz). After reading a thread about the Vess props I tried a Vess 10/6. What a dissapointment. I had to run the B40 on a hard 2 stroke to get the same lap times; it was like the Vess couldn't bite into the air at all. I've since tried old Top Flite 10/6 (from the 60's) and found it's performance on par with the RSM . . . or is the performance of the RSM on par with the Top Flite?

If I could have only one . . . probably the LA46; then build slightly bigger airplanes . . . but I really like both.

Brian

Wood props can come with a lot less or a lot  more pitch then it is marked. When I used them would have to buy many props to get the ones with the right pitch. At the end it was a good thing, because I end up with a set of props ranging from 5 to 8 in pitch that I could pick depending on wind and climate conditions. Some of the TopFlite 14x6 I measured had 8 pitch in one blade and 5.5 in the other. My 4S engine would run much better with a light wood prop than with a CF one, so I kept on buying wood props.

The reason is very simple, when the propeller cutting machine cuts the  wood fibers that wood stick will warp in any direction.

The JXF props were the most accurate ones I tried, among TopFlite and Zinger.

Before you give up on the VESS prop, try to find out the real pitch of the prop you used and try a different one.

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2011, 11:51:20 PM »

Before you give up on the VESS prop, try to find out the real pitch of the prop you used and try a different one.

Martin

I've never measured prop pitch; is there a simple way, or somewhat inexpensive tool to do that?

Thanks, Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2011, 06:57:26 AM »
I've never measured prop pitch; is there a simple way, or somewhat inexpensive tool to do that?

Thanks, Brian

hi Brian,

There was a simple to make, pretty accurate prop pitch gauge published in one of the magazines a few years ago.  I hope someone here posts that for you. 

I have had a Prather Pitch gauge for many years, so I didn't build one, myself.  I don't "know" of an easy way to do it with out a "gauge"......

I have seen the Prather gauges on ebay, and I think some one has made them from time to time for sale.  Randy Smith might still have some, I don't know. 

If you are going to be "serious" about contest flying, I think you really need to find one.  All props can be "off", which means you might have to go through a big bunch of them finding the "right" one if you don't have a gauge.  And if you go to the CF props, only a couple of them are needed since you can easily repitch them with a gauge.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2011, 11:21:28 AM »
Thanks Bill; I'll contact Randy to start the search.

While I will never be challenging the likes of Dave F, I do want to get better. My goal is to fly in advanced without embarrassing myself too much.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2011, 12:35:07 PM »
Hi guys,
If you look on the ukie control site, he has a pitch gauge that ya can make. Check it out looks kinda cool. Darn I have to leave ya cause I just have to go and play in this darn 70 degree weather with the sun beating down. I guess some guys have all the luck????

Have a great day!!!!
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2011, 05:55:24 PM »
Anyone got a URL for Ukie Control Line?

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2011, 12:35:09 AM »
Anyone got a URL for Ukie Control Line?

Brian

Hi Brian,

On my computer I typed in Ukie Control Line in the Google box and ukie comes up. Open up the Ukie Home Page and click on workshop and there is several nice little items to check out. Give it a try and let me know how it works out for you. Sure was a nice day to play with our toys. Thanks for coming out to play, see ya Sunday.
Gary
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:43:04 AM by Bill Little »
Gary Anderson

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2011, 09:55:37 AM »
Brian,
No secrets; maybe just lucky!

I use 10/22 (50/50), metal uniflow (no exhsut pressure), stock muffler, various props and 2 layers of the thin part of panty hose material ever the venturi.  We are about 250 ft. above sea level--if that matters, near Montgomery, AL.

When I fill the tank, I use a hand crank pump and make sure that I get a drip or three from the venturi as well as slight flow from the tank overflow.  Then I choke with a finger 3 or 4 revolutions---make sure there is fuel on my finger after choking.  Attach battery, pull thru until I get a bump--usually one or three blades, then flip.  Usually one to three flip starts---if it seems a bit wet, I will back flip for starting.

Very seldom will the engine need more than a flip or three to start, with a hot battery.  Usually use a Thunderbolt RC plug, but have had good results with the OS LC3 (car plug, but very hot according to OS heat chart).

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2011, 12:52:14 PM »
I built the Hooptee Pitch guage, neat project, works good..

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=11210.0
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2011, 08:52:56 PM »
I am a touch surprised about Stephen's LA46 put down. From what I have seen, the LA46 is hardly "orders of magnitude worse" than a dedicated stunt motor. Provided that you don't try to get the last ounce of power out of them, they run not far short of the expensive dedicated stunt motor, straight out the box. Lets face it a venturi and NVA are hardly a deal breaker.
As for the nasty plastic backplate, most of the damage is done by hamfisted overtightening by enthusiastic pilots. A little RTV is mostly all that is needed. If folk think that doing the above is a big deal, maybe they should go find some other hobby! Me, I shall stick to LA46s (and GP42s!) and use the cash I saved for something else!

Regards,

Andrew.

I put 242 Loctite (removeable type)on the backplate screws after I had them come loose soon after I started using the LA 46.  Haven't had them come loose since then and it's been about 2 years.  I have mine on a SIG Banshee with a 12-4 Master Airscrew.  I could probably use a 12-3 to slow the plane down a bit.  Great engine.  Starts first or second flip and I rarely have to adjust the needle valve.  Lots of power and it runs the same every time.
Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here