News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:02:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak 049 MK II - Issues  (Read 407 times)

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak 049 MK II - Issues
« on: June 15, 2020, 10:22:17 AM »
Has anyone here had experience with the Brodak 049 MK II?

Normally, when there are problems with a Brodak engine, they have it sent to me for evaluation and possible replacement.

My latest experience is with an engine that just will not keep running - period.
It runs well for between three and five minutes and then just stops. Doesn't matter if I run it rich or lean. It doesn't lean out or seize. It just stops. No sign of overheating, nothing.

Bob Z.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Brodak 049 MK II - Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 11:16:56 AM »
Has anyone here had experience with the Brodak 049 MK II?

Normally, when there are problems with a Brodak engine, they have it sent to me for evaluation and possible replacement.

My latest experience is with an engine that just will not keep running - period.
It runs well for between three and five minutes and then just stops. Doesn't matter if I run it rich or lean. It doesn't lean out or seize. It just stops. No sign of overheating, nothing.

I have attempted to assist with several of the Mk II .049, with very limited success. One of them we could never get started, and the other, we got started and it ran for maybe 30 seconds, the owner merely touched the needle to lean it out, and it quit and we could never get it started again. The engines both felt OK, not Cox quality, but not apparently bound up, and had what seemed to be adequate compression, and would sort-of draw fuel.

Your issue sounds different, but given the apparent workmanship, it doesn't surprise me that the engines have a wide variation in how they work. The owner replaced them in his project with some Norvel/AME/Big Mig type .061/1 cc engine with a tiny venturi that they got from RSM, and it ran very nicely and uncannily steady in the air, but very low output for an 061, less than the average Tee Dee 049.

Brett

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Brodak 049 MK II - Issues
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 12:01:56 PM »
                     My engine was very difficult to flip. It would start, it just didn't have enough guts to do anything with it. I had the case honed for the crankshaft and also had a Nelson head made. Even though the engine would run, it didn't overheat, it just didn't run with high rpm's.  I don't use 10% nitro as instructed and I use my standard 1/2A fuel. Currently on a Baby Flite Streak, the engine is achieving 21670 rpm's on a APC 5x3.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here