News:

• May 13, 2024, 12:43:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No easy answer  (Read 752 times)

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • khspriggs
No easy answer
« on: January 15, 2007, 07:31:43 AM »
I know this is a question that will not have any definitive answer, but here is the question anyway:

I have been away from CL flying for 35 years. When I quit the Fox .35 engine was the engine of choice. I still have several of them that I intend on using, however I am planning on building a regular stunt plane of about 54 inch wing span and think it is time to get a more modern engine for it. I am not really a hardcore stunt flier as I will probably not ever be able to fly a recognizable stunt pattern. Something more like advanced sport flying. I am guessing something in a .40 to .50 range.  Cost is a factor but not the primary factor, as I plan on buying only one. Again I realize that there is not going to be unanimous agreement on it but what is your personal preference.

If there is a particular engine that I should stay away from you can email or PM me and tell me what it is.

Thanks

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: No easy answer
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 07:38:37 AM »
Keith...
If you intend to use an engine in the planes that you intended for a FOX .35, then I would suggest a Brodak .40....it runs well, has plenty of power and there is a lot of help regarding props, fuel, etc...
If you are looking at somethin with more power, I would suggest the OS LA .46....
Remember that the .40 is considered safe on .015" lines, while the .46 wants .018"
Have fun!

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 07:43:18 AM »
I completly agree with Peabody.. Not allot to add to what he has already said

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 10:45:40 AM »
This, of course depends on budgetary concerns...But quality is quality, is quality!  You should talk to the man that supplies most of the engines to the US world team members and the top Nats winners. That would be our administrator in this forum, Randy Smith. Because you are not a top of the world flyer does not mean that you cannot enjoy the benefit of world class engines and a support "team" as near as your phone.

Randy has all forms of custom rebuilds, and, engines designed from the ground up as stunt motors from the Aero Tiger .36 (my favorite) up to the P.A.  Merlin .76's.

You can do it for less, but you can't do it any better. Give him a call at Aero Products.

That's Ward-O's opinion!  ::)
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 05:36:53 PM »
Keith, I would recomend that you give some serious consideration to the Fox .40 ukie engine if you want more power, resonable cost, plenty of support from Fox and just a phone call away.oh, and did I mention plenty of power....?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here