News:

• April 26, 2024, 05:47:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Break-in for FOX abc 35 older GMA set  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Break-in for FOX abc 35 older GMA set
« on: May 26, 2019, 06:58:23 PM »
Guys,
I have an ABC Fox 35, the p/c was from GMA. The engine as only a few runs, was very tight when I last I tried it and was difficult to needle. I pulled the P/C and did some light lapping which loosened it a bit but it still has a good pinch. Question is how much break-in is needed for this set-up? I'm assuming that 10%N, 25% (50/50) oil will work. Anyone running one of these?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Break-in for FOX abc 35 older GMA set
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 09:09:11 PM »
Guys,
I have an ABC Fox 35, the p/c was from GMA. The engine as only a few runs, was very tight when I last I tried it and was difficult to needle. I pulled the P/C and did some light lapping which loosened it a bit but it still has a good pinch. Question is how much break-in is needed for this set-up? I'm assuming that 10%N, 25% (50/50) oil will work. Anyone running one of these?

Best,    DennisT

You need to forget it's a Fox and heat cycle it like any other ABC engine, which is a lot of short 2 minute runs. The ABC sets that Brian Gardner  produces fit very well and on the tight side, and he calls for a half dozen 1 minute runs with cooling in between, then easy flights on a model, with RPM just shy of a two stroke. The main thing is to get it to operating temp quickly and don't baby it too much. Watch the prop load for the first dozen flights or so.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Harold Brewer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 12:44:59 PM »
I am breaking in one as well, using all castor.  Is that a good idea, or should I switch to a 50/50 blend?  So far, I have run it for four times, two minutes each time with a long cool down between runs.

Regards,

Brew

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 03:48:28 PM »
I am breaking in one as well, using all castor.  Is that a good idea, or should I switch to a 50/50 blend?  So far, I have run it for four times, two minutes each time with a long cool down between runs.

Are you running an ABC system? If so, you have greatly reduce the castor, and heat is your friend. Cold starts and rich running are enemies here, you will greatly stress the crank and crankpin. Knowing how GMA set things up, It's liable to be far too tapered/tight at TDC for reliable stunt running unless it is extremely hot.

Brett

Offline Harold Brewer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 08:31:53 AM »
Brett -

The ABC piston/liner that I am using is the one that was sold for some time by Fox Mfg.  I am going to switch over to the 50/50 castor & syn fuel and complete the breakin.

Regards,

Brew

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 09:13:10 AM »
Brett -

The ABC piston/liner that I am using is the one that was sold for some time by Fox Mfg.  I am going to switch over to the 50/50 castor & syn fuel and complete the breakin.

I don't think you want all that castor oil, all it will do it varnish it up sooner, and I don't think it will keep your other bearing surfaces alive longer. I haven't seen the Fox version, so I don't know how much taper it has or how risky it is to run it cool.  My suggestion would be Powermaster 10% "Air" with a maybe 5-8% extra Klotz (thin or regular) Techniplate, or similar SIG with modifications if you can't get Powermaster.

Brett

Online RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 09:51:52 AM »
Hi Harold
The  FOX ABC sets  that  they ( i actually heard K&B made them)  made are not fitted  as tight as  the aftermarket  early ones that George had, use a minimum of  50% synth fuel  with  at least 25% total oil. run it 2 to 3 minutes at a time  with cool down in between, Set the needle so it runs the cackle between a 4/2, NOT richer, then you can pinch the tube for a second to let it burst into a 2 cycle, after a couple runs, you can turn the needle  IN  to where the  fOX will run in a  2 stroke  , do this  for  10 seconds the  back  to just  between  4/2  stroke
8 to 10 runs  should get it in shape  to start  flying.  as  stated  do not  run it very rich,  nor  very lean you want to bring it all up to temperature for breakin. I would  highly recommend  wood  props  to fly, and  I would  use a  10x4 wood  for  break-in

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here