News:

• May 04, 2024, 12:33:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Boring Engine  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Rob Roberts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Boring Engine
« on: May 04, 2009, 04:26:56 PM »
Looking for an engine for an ARF Flite Streak that after break in requires no after market parts or reworking to run and start well. I fly electric now but am looking for a fast powerful sport plane for those windy days. Spoiled buy electric and having no patients I need something that starts and runs consistently.  Thanks for the help

Rob

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
Re: Boring Engine
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 06:03:06 PM »
OS 25 LA.  Simple, reliable, easy to start, quick break-in, etc.

Glen Wearden
Glen Wearden

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 09:53:01 PM »

I like the Enya SS30 and think it is the best option out there. It is a  one flip start, no plastic stuff or remote nva like the LA series. The Enya SS30 is the same size but it is lighter then the Enya SS25.

I use it on my RingMaster with an APC 10.5x4.5 and I get rock solid performance. I think it has the best bang for the buck.

The original muffler works very well and I really doubt there is any engine as light and a powerfull as the Enya SS30. I flown my friends Ringmaster with OS 25LA and there is a HUGE difference in power.

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:00:27 PM »

I forgot to mention, that the Enya SS30 use the same Mufflers mounting holes as  OS 40/46LA, so you can easily find a tongue muffler in case you need it.

martin

Offline Robin_Holden

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 04:27:44 AM »
I like the Enya SS30 and think it is the best option out there. It is a  one flip start, no plastic stuff or remote nva like the LA series. The Enya SS30 is the same size but it is lighter then the Enya SS25.

I use it on my RingMaster with an APC 10.5x4.5 and I get rock solid performance. I think it has the best bang for the buck.

The original muffler works very well and I really doubt there is any engine as light and a powerfull as the Enya SS30. I flown my friends Ringmaster with OS 25LA and there is a HUGE difference in power.

Martin

Hello Marin , it's Robin here , the British guy in France.

Totally agree with your comments about the Enya 30. I also have one , and after reading your remarks about using the APC 10.5 X 4.5 prop my Enya is going relly well. Starts so easily , great quality and really strong.

May I ask you please :

What fuel mix are you using ? I'm using 24% oil [ usually around 17% synthetic , 7% castor  ] with 5% nitro. 
What take-off RPM do you use ?

Much obliged ,

Robin [ ex-pat Brit in the Charente full of ex-pat Brits ]

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 06:45:22 AM »
Hi Robin,

I have used quite a few different fuels with it and always got great performance. At the Brodaks I used Power Master 5/22 and here in Brazil I have used mostly Byron 10/20. But have run it with old 10-18 fuel with some Castor added and it ran great also.  I tried the Top Flite 11x4 but it was too much prop for it and I thought to cut it 1/8 at the time until I find a the proper load for the engine, but haven't done that yet.

Martin

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 01:48:35 PM »
It's refreshing to hear from an electric flyer who's sniffing the fumes and fixing to puff (if not fully inhale) the joy of a real gas-engine airplane.

Perhaps if this spearmint is carried out with something like an OS Max FX or FP-series engine, he may never go back.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:09:09 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 04:28:40 PM »
The Brodak 25 meets all your requirements its light weight helps the performance of the ARF Streak.  It will fly the entire pattern on about 2 oz fuel so tank size is not an issue.
Steve

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 08:09:56 PM »
OS 25 LA.  Simple, reliable, easy to start, quick break-in, etc.

Glen Wearden

A friend of mine uses an OS 25 LA....oops!  Used an OS 25 LA on his Flite Streak ARF.  Started easy and ran great with plenty of power.  The plane is history now.  It was victim to one of the hardest crashes I've seen.  Just a blur of red white and black splinters on impact.
Jerry

Offline Robin_Holden

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 01:15:38 AM »

Martin ...... May I ask what is the LAUNCH RPM with your Enya 30 using a 10.5 x 4.5 prop please ?

Much obliged and regards from France ,

Robin.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 01:31:26 AM »
Looking for an engine for an ARF Flite Streak that after break in requires no after market parts or reworking to run and start well. I fly electric now but am looking for a fast powerful sport plane for those windy days. Spoiled buy electric and having no patients I need something that starts and runs consistently.  Thanks for the help

A 25LA is *perfect* for what you want. Use a 9-4 APC prop.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 10:00:48 AM »

Rob

Hi Rob

You have some good advice already here
Enya 25SS
Enya 30SS
Brodak 25
OS 25 LA
all will work stock out of the box  and  do a great job for that plane

Randy

Offline Rob Roberts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 11:48:44 AM »
I found a r/c os fp25 in my less than organized basement after my last post.
My questions are is this motor as good as the other choices?
Is the replacement venturi from tower the Right size? 
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCW99&P=7
Will the rc nva work and what size tap? Thanks and thank you for the suggestions, the 4 engines mentioned sound like great choices.

Rob

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »
The OS venturis are made to use a through needle valve assy, such as:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCR49&P=M.

I believe the thread size on the OS R/C nvas is 4m-.5, those taps are available from MSC Industrial Supply.  You'd would have to fill the hole on the opposite side.  However if using that kind you would probably find the venturi bore too large for suction feed.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 01:03:41 PM »
Martin ...... May I ask what is the LAUNCH RPM with your Enya 30 using a 10.5 x 4.5 prop please ?

Much obliged and regards from France ,

Robin.

Hi Robin,

I have never measure it, the 2 tachs I have never seems to work right and I don't thrust them, so I learned to tune my engines by sound. With 62' lines I was getting laps around 4.8s (a heavy RingMaster needs speed ) Howard Rush flew my Ringmaster when he came to Brazil and noticed the plane was too far, only then I realized how long my cables were so I clipped to about 59' and launch a little more rich. It worked great one way or the other.

Martin

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 04:08:08 PM »
I found a r/c os fp25 in my less than organized basement after my last post.
My questions are is this motor as good as the other choices?
Is the replacement venturi from tower the Right size? 
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCW99&P=7
Will the rc nva work and what size tap? Thanks and thank you for the suggestions, the 4 engines mentioned sound like great choices.

The 25FP is better, in my opinion, than the LA. And you don't need to replace the R/C carb unless you are trying to take out the last little bit of inconsistency for critical competition flights. In fact, it might work better than the stock venturi - the stocker is fine for the 20FP but is a little big for the 25, at least if you end up running a 10" prop instead. Put a spring on it, or wire it open, and use the idle stop screw to adjust the speed. Everything else can be stock, use a 9-4 or 10-4 APC, set it for a medium 2-stroke in level flight, and you are set.

Brett

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 05:26:24 AM »
Looking for an engine for an ARF Flite Streak that after break in requires no after market parts or reworking to run and start well. I fly electric now but am looking for a fast powerful sport plane for those windy days. Spoiled buy electric and having no patients I need something that starts and runs consistently.  Thanks for the help

Rob

How about the new kid on the block?  A GMS 25. They're available from Tower Hobbies for about $50.  Three of us in our club have bought them and all three started first flip right out of the box.  They start first flip almost without exception.  Makes .85hp, pretty much the equivalent of a .35.  They're available only in R/C but all you have to do is lock the throttle open with the set screw on the barrel.  They run great, same great run every time, from full tank to empty.
Jerry

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 07:49:42 AM »
The other obvious candidate is the Brodak .25 (if you can get one) . . .

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 03:09:56 PM »
You are correct to desire a boring engine.  The ideal is that the engine does to suit you with complete reliability to the point that you do not even hear it running while you are flying. 

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 04:23:02 PM »
Rob , i can only review the OS motors. I have 2 streaks, one with the standard fuselage has a 20FP and 2 oz.tank, the other with an extended nose for a 3 oz. tank and extended tail for balance has a 25la, both have muffler pressure and clunk tanks, run startgreat, run great and are trouble free. Also i run several 25 la's with the r/c carb with no problem, and an added benefit is you can close the throttle to slow them down if you like!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here