News:

• May 22, 2024, 09:36:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blocking lube channel - Enya SS50  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
Blocking lube channel - Enya SS50
« on: February 17, 2008, 05:10:23 PM »
The Enya SS50 has a capillary channel that runs from the front BB housing to the venturi. When you try to choke the engine you can hear a squish sound and I have to work harder to choke the engine.

I understand this chanel helps to lube the front bearing but I am afraid this can cause inconstancy with fuel draw and have been tempted to block this channel with JB Weld.

Any thoughts about this?

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Alan Hahn

Re: Blocking lube channel - Enya SS50
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 06:43:11 PM »
Martin,
Does your Enya have a shielded front bearing? If not perhaps replacing the bearing with one that has may help with the leakage. However if you do replace the bearing, remove the shield on the back side (away from prop). You still want a lube path into the bearing!

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 07:40:06 PM »
Hi Alan,

It has the original NSK metal shielded BB. Randy Smith also said to replace the front BB with a rubber sealed one  leaving only the outside with the seal, of course.

Martin

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 04:14:55 PM by RandySmith »

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
Well one possibility it to partially fill the slot--leave a little depth so some oil can get forward. You don't need a lot I think, just a little. You could always put a few drops of air-tool oil (it's pretty thin) down the venturi, and hang the plane nose down to get the oil to flow towards the bearing. When you put the oil in, you don't really need the crankshaft hole lined up with the venturi, since you want the oll to move forward, not backwards towards the backplate..

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 03:54:34 PM »
I suspect the channel is not to lube the bearing, it's to suck back the excess fuel which will already find its way to the bearing, and without this channel it will spill out the front. I'd be inclined to leave well alone.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 04:04:22 PM »
Has the inconsistency with the fuel draw been confirmed or is it just a concern?  It may not be an issue with running at all.  I'd confirm that there is a problem before taking JB weld to this engine. As far as indirect priming goes, it works with some engines, not so well with others.  Apparently this is one of the latter.  Use slight direct priming before flipping the prop.  It'll probably start right away - Enyas usually do.   
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 04:10:02 PM »
The Enya SS50 has a capillary channel that runs from the front BB housing to the venturi. When you try to choke the engine you can hear a squish sound and I have to work harder to choke the engine.

I understand this chanel helps to lube the front bearing but I am afraid this can cause inconstancy with fuel draw and have been tempted to block this channel with JB Weld.

Any thoughts about this?

Martin

HI Martin

This is not for lubing that front bearing,  the pressure created by the piston coming to bottom dead center will force fuel up to and most times past the front bearing, The slot is an oil return passage cut into the case for the venturie to suck up the excess and recycle it back into the motor. Many times engines will  leak fuel out of the front very badly without this channel.
It should have no bearing on the cranking or running of the engine unless the front end has got sloppy or damaged.
In this case you should install a seal on the bearing or replace it with one that  is a sealed  bearing.

Regards
Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 04:14:33 PM »
Hi Alan,

It has the original NSK metal shielded BB. Randy Smith also said to replace the front BB with a rubber sealed one  leaving only the outside with the seal, of course.

Martin

HI Martin

What I suggested was to install a sealed bearing, do not use one that has a seal on the inside and a shield on the outside.
It will be OK to use the shield on the inside and the seal on the outside though, some times you can remove one shield and install a new seal  from another bearing without taking it apart

Randy

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 08:43:43 PM »

Thank you for the explanations. I thought the purpose of this slot was to create a higher oil flow through the front bearing.

The Engine seems to run fine and it starts just with a gentle clock wise twist on the spinner. As matter of fact  I can't even flip it once clock wise, it will kick back imediately. I guess one could call it a Zero Flip Engine  H^^

But I do have to flip about 6 times to suck a little bit of fuel to get started and it makes a funny air leak noise,  thats why I am concern.  All the other engines I have will suck more fuel with one or two flips when priming.

The ring hasn't fully seated also and it feels it has no compression CCW but has good compression clock wise.

Thank you for the help,

Martin

posthole_digger

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 12:12:36 PM »
A few years ago a friend got a Fox 40 RC. It had the same type of channel. Neither he nor I could get that engine to run consistently at all - we barely could get it to run period. He got so fed up he gave me the engine. There was a site (used to be called Fliteline or something similar) that gave operating hints on Fox engines. It told to  fill the slot with JB Weld. They explained the slot would screw up the mixture as the engine ran. I filled the slot and the engine ran like a champ. I gave the engine back to my friend and he could not believe the difference. He has run the engine for the past 3 years.

Paul

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 06:39:17 PM »

Many engines have a slot cut in the case that runs in parallel with the shaft, like on the ST G51. But the Enya SS50 does not have a "slot" It has a tiny channel connecting the venturi with the front BB housing.

I have two Enya SS50 and one I have already filled the hole with JB Weld and replaced the front BB with a sealed one. I can revert the engine back as it was just drilling the hole back.

I'll try the SS50 with the blocked hole pretty soon and I'll  let you know the results as soon as I can. The only problem I can think of  is that it may leak fuel through the front BB. Will see how tight the seal on the new NSK ball bearing really is.

Happy landings,

Martin

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here