News:

• May 22, 2024, 07:05:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aviastar C/L Engines  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Robin_Holden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Aviastar C/L Engines
« on: October 01, 2008, 04:45:04 AM »
Good morning all ..... Just received my latest 'Control Line World ' .....Expanded , well done !!

Inside , an advertisement for Brodak's , as you'd expect !

What was new [ to me anyway ] was a listing of AVIASTAR C/L Engines !!

46-53- etc.

Now , I've seen Sig's web-site for Aviastar in the past , but only R/C engines . Pretty cheap as well ....$49.99 for a 46 !

Anyone who can fill in somemore on this topic would be appreciated.

The Aviastar C/L engines are on John Brodak's web-site as well.

Regards from the Charente in S.W.France [ cloudy ! ].

Robin [ ex-pat Brit in the Charente full of ex-pat Brits ].

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Aviastar C/L Engines
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 10:22:14 AM »
Robin - A year ago I spent a considerable amount of time evaluating the Aviastar .53 for John Brodak.

For initial tests, I ran it in per instructions and then machined a venturi, .30 as I recall, and installed an OS ratchet type needle valve (I prefer that style instead of the collet type). The stock muffler was nice and quiet but very heavy.

I then mounted it on the only plane I had available, a very heavy Polaris. The run was typical of a Schnuerle ported engine - too fast, lots of runaway.

As I do not have a lot of expereince with port timing but lots with head configurations, I opted for the latter. The stock configuration was a small hemispherical chamber with a large - approximately 1/8 inch squish band. Progressively narrowing the band while increasing the chamber radius eventually yielded some very nice running. The best prop was a 12-6 APC, which loaded the engine down but allowed a good wet 2-cycle run with sufficient leaning in maneuvers to keep the lines tight. When I started modifying the head, I also switched to a simple tongue muffler that I originally made for an ST 60.

The final head configuration was a .50 inch radius combustion chamber with a .04 wide squish band.
I ran muffler pressure and a non-uniflow metal tank and the runs were as consistant as I could want.
Around 5 ounces of Brodak 10/23 fuel was sufficient for the pattern.

I sent all the information back to the factory and I assume that they incorporated the changes.
I personally feel that it is a fine engine and reasonable priced.

Two things to consider:
I did no long-term evaluation so I cannot comment on the engine life.
The unit that I evaluated was a bit on the heavy side - around 2.5 ounces heavier than the ST .51.
Maybe they incorporated some weight reducing - I do not know.

Bob Z.

Offline Robin_Holden

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 12:21:27 PM »
Bob ....Very much obliged for all your comments.

kind regards ,

Robin.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 05:38:38 PM »
Bob:  "A good wet 2 cycle run..." From your post I understand that one can expect more of a constant speed (European?) run (2-2) rather than a more traditional 4-2-4 type run with this engine, correct? 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 06:06:27 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 06:10:23 PM »
Bob:  "A good wet 2 cycle run..." From your post I understand that one can expect more of a constant speed (European?) run (2-2) rather than a more traditional 4-2-4 type run with this engine, correct? 

If that is how it is, that would be a deal killer for me. Not interested.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 06:49:44 PM »
Good News Everyone!, garana on the other forum has reported that his Av.61 runs a high speed 4/2/4 type of run although break in is ongoing.  Although skeptical at first he is pleased with the results far. Sounds promising.
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 02:20:41 PM »
Robin - A year ago I spent a considerable amount of time evaluating the Aviastar .53 for John Brodak.

For initial tests, I ran it in per instructions and then machined a venturi, .30 as I recall, and installed an OS ratchet type needle valve (I prefer that style instead of the collet type). The stock muffler was nice and quiet but very heavy.

I then mounted it on the only plane I had available, a very heavy Polaris. The run was typical of a Schnuerle ported engine - too fast, lots of runaway.

As I do not have a lot of expereince with port timing but lots with head configurations, I opted for the latter. The stock configuration was a small hemispherical chamber with a large - approximately 1/8 inch squish band. Progressively narrowing the band while increasing the chamber radius eventually yielded some very nice running. The best prop was a 12-6 APC, which loaded the engine down but allowed a good wet 2-cycle run with sufficient leaning in maneuvers to keep the lines tight. When I started modifying the head, I also switched to a simple tongue muffler that I originally made for an ST 60.

The final head configuration was a .50 inch radius combustion chamber with a .04 wide squish band.
I ran muffler pressure and a non-uniflow metal tank and the runs were as consistant as I could want.
Around 5 ounces of Brodak 10/23 fuel was sufficient for the pattern.

I sent all the information back to the factory and I assume that they incorporated the changes.
I personally feel that it is a fine engine and reasonable priced.

Two things to consider:
I did no long-term evaluation so I cannot comment on the engine life.
The unit that I evaluated was a bit on the heavy side - around 2.5 ounces heavier than the ST .51.
Maybe they incorporated some weight reducing - I do not know.

Bob Z.

Hi Bob,

Have you had a chance to play with the new c/l 61 that John has on his web site? Its claimed that its not a r/c motor, its a newly developed c/l motor? Would appreciate any input, if you worked with this baby could you tell me what type of plane it will work with? (Strega, SV11, Stiletto or any other type plane that would work best with this engine.)

Thank You
  Gary

Gary Anderson

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 11:09:02 PM »
I was at Brodak's today flying with some of the fellas and one had a Legacy powered by a new Aviastar .61.  The engine had only been bench run for break in.  After a few test flights followed by needle adjustments and a prop change, the Avistar performed really well.  Lots of power and a good 4-2 break.  With a bit more tweaking and some run time, I believe it will be a very good stunt engine.  For $159.00 for the .61, it might be hard to beat!

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 12:01:17 PM »
Finally - an entry level 60 at a reasonable price. It should be perfect for the ARF/ARC strega.

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here