News:

• May 09, 2024, 03:23:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aviastar 46/53/61 ?  (Read 9093 times)

Offline Robin_Holden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Aviastar 46/53/61 ?
« on: September 09, 2010, 07:20:43 AM »
Greetings all .

Anyone with any experience of the Aviastar C/L range yet ?

If John Brodak's offering them they must be stunt friendly in my opinion.

Any contributions much appreciated ,

Robin [ ex-pat Brit in the Charente ful of ex-pat Brits ]

Online Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Aviastar 46/53/61 ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 07:44:45 AM »
Hi, Robin,
   That virtually no one is actively competing with these engines speaks volumes to me...
ama 72090

Offline Robin_Holden

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:07:41 AM »
Hi Bill and thanks for that.

I wonder why ? Too heavy would be my [ uninformed ] guess ?

Thanks , Robin.

Hi, Robin,
   That virtually no one is actively competing with these engines speaks volumes to me...

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 03:53:23 PM »
on the R/C forums there have been a few threads on these engines, of course they are the R/C versions. But the premise of the discussions has been on quality issues.
Dennis

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 03:57:02 PM »
It seems that when the Chinese team abandoned them, and went to the Saito's,that kind of put "paid" to them.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 08:26:19 PM »

I friend of mine has been testing one and reported it has a great 4-2-4 stun run with 13x6 prop. He has been testing this engine for more then 3 months and all he said was good things. I did not see it running, but my friend is an expert, so it must be good. At least one good report.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 10:40:53 PM »
Hi Robin,

sorry, I forgot to mention that the engine is the 61.

Martin

Offline MrSteve09

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 10:42:29 AM »
Martian,..

You mentioned a friend of yours is running a Aviastar 61 with a 13X6 prop.  Do you happen to recall what plane he is using it in??

Thanks!

Steve T.

Offline David Felinczak

• Lieutenant
  • Always Remember
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 06:58:48 AM »
On the topic of the Aviastar Engines: What are the differences between the RC version vs the CL version?
                                                   There is a drastic price differential in the 2 versions no matter the displacement.
David Felinczak

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »

Hi Steve,

My friend used the engine for 2 months in a .60 model of his own design called PUMA.  He also told me he tried this weekend his friend SV-11 ARF with the Aviastar .61 with good results using a wood MAS 13x6 and the stock muffler, he reported the engine ran constant in a wet 2. On his PUMA he said the engine ran 4-2-4 using a 12x6 3 blade prop and a custom made expansion muffler.

Martin

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 06:58:15 PM »
For what it's worth, here is a commentary on the .53.

AVIASTAR RS-53 C/L
By: Thomas J. Weedman
While I was at the Huntersville contest in October of 2008, Bob Zambelli asked me if I would be interested in testing the Aviastar 53 engine. Of course, I jumped at this wonderful opportunity, looking forward to being the first to experience the flying power of the new Aviastar engine. As soon as I got home, I picked out a profile airplane titled "Rampage" that was built in 1993 by Jim Mitchell of Orlando, Florida. I had purchased the "Rampage" several years back. Jim won several contests in the 90's flying this airplane and it was outfitted with a Super Tiger V-60 by Randy Smith. It has a 57 inch wingspan with 741 sq. inches of wing area and weighs 67 ounces.
The Rampage is an excellent flying aircraft and has never let me down. In my opinion it is one of the better airplanes in my fleet which consists of a collection of approximately 40 or so airplanes.
First, I had to retro-fit the aluminum motor pads because it does not have the same bolt pattern as the Super Tiger V-60. I did this by drilling and tapping the aluminum motor pads with a 440 bolt to the Aviastar bolt pattern. Then I had to remove the motor and bench run it to break it in before testing it on the plane.
This motor was fitted with an Aero Products P.A.65 needle valve assembly and a Sig Idle Bar Glow Plug. The fuel was Brodak 10% nitro with 11.5% castor oil and 11.5% synthetic oil.
The break- in props were an 11-4 Zinger and a 12-4 Zinger. The motor was run at three minute intervals for 36 runs from a cold start every time. The RPM with the 11-4 Zinger prop was at 9800 rpms, and with the 12-4 Zinger prop it was at 8000 RPMs.
The first propeller I used was a 12-5 Rev Up propeller. This turned out not to be enough propellers to pull the airplane with an Aero Products Super Tiger 60 tongue muffler, which uses the same muffler bolt pattern as the Aviastar. The propeller of choice is a 13 - 5.5 Bolly carbon fiber propeller (Aero Products). After several flights I added two head shims, and this provided a good 4 - 2 break run. This relaxed the motor to a good stunt run and it ran consistently.
Then I decided to try an Adamisin Expansion muffler. After several runs, I discovered I would need to add one more head shim, for a total of three head shims to get the 4 - 2 break I was looking for. This motor has a lot of power and can fly most .60 size aircraft easily. Fuel consumption was 5.5 to 6 ounces of fuel to fly the complete pattern.
The only thing I would suggest changing on the motor is the bolt pattern because no other engine that I could find (at least in my collection), has the same pattern. The closest thing I could find is the Super Tiger 51, which was the closest to the Aviastar pattern. If the bolt pattern on the motor was changed to something more practical, like the Super Tiger 51 pattern, more people could drop one of these fabulous, powerful motors in their airplane and have more standard power than they have with the Super Tiger 51. This motor will give their airplanes more stamina and punch for the long haul.
The Aviastar performed very well on the Rampage and it actually flew better with the Aviastar than it did with the Super Tiger V-60, which made me very happy. Even though I had to make a few modifications to make the motor fit the plane, it was worth all the effort in the long run.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 10:20:06 PM »
Friend of mine bought a T-Rex and put an Avistar 61 on it. I don't know if he put it through the break in process I see on this thread, but the motor was not touched as far as any mods./changes. It was put on the plane and flown. I saw it fly (3) rounds and it pulled the T-Rex with authority with a nice soft 2-4 break- easy on and easy off in the right places. Total weight of the T-Rex w/mtr./fuel= 64oz. I was impressed with the way it ran.

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 04:15:25 AM »
Dave Gierke had this line a few years back. Ran into him at the Toledo show...must have been ten years back anyhow. He couldnt tell me much about them either. I think the opportunity presented itself for him to acquire them or distribute but he had no real experience with them despite his illustrious past in CLPA. They sure looked well made though and I was considering one at the time. I would love to hear that they work great!

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »
For what its worth, my buddy flew his 64oz. T-Rex/Avistar 61 this past week-end at the Baton Rouge contest. The motor performed very good during practise and competition. Just as it did a month and a haif ago the motor ran with a soft 4-2 break. That being said, if it was compared to an ST.60 I don't think it has the the torque or power of the old ST. I have seen Heavier ST.60 powered aircraft than the T-Rex pulled with  more authority than the Avistar. In fact, there was an ST60 powered large Forerunner that was heavier and larger than the T-Rex at our contest. I've seen Stalker 61's and Avistar 61 compete and in my opinion they fall short when compared to the ST. I believe the Avistar 61 is as good as the Stalker 61 maybe a little better, but that is based only on the (2) I have seen in competition, which is not a reliable assessment.   

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 03:22:13 PM »
For what its worth, my buddy flew his 64oz. T-Rex/Avistar 61 this past week-end at the Baton Rouge contest. The motor performed very good during practise and cpower of the old ST. I have seen Heavier ST.60 powered aircraft than the T-Rex pulled with  more authority than the Avistar. In fact, there was an ST60 powered large Forerunner that was heavier and larger than the T-Rex at our contest. I've seen Stalker 61's and Avistar 61 compete and in my opinion they fall short when compared to the ST.ompetition. Just as it did a month and a haif ago the motor ran with a soft 4-2 break. That being said, if it was compared to an ST.60 I don't think it has the the torque or  I believe the Avistar 61 is as good as the Stalker 61 maybe a little better, but that is based only on the (2) I have seen in competition, which is not a reliable assessment.   

One of the 2 Stalkers Joe is talking about is mine,  and I'll be the first to admit my set up was not the optimum.  I am working on changes based on recommendations I got from a couple of experts at the BR contest.  There is definitely room for improvement.  Also keep in mind that the Stalker/Chevelle is 4 oz heavier than John's T-Rex.  (I'm working on that too, so watch out for next year)
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 10:58:47 PM »
There have not been many posts on the Aviastar engines. If so I have missed them on the search application. I just got one .61 C/L from Brodack's to put on an Stiletto 660 from B.R.F.R. I always take new engines completely apart to the bare crankcase with the crank. I never did it until a few years back (Fox combat special ~25years ago) was destroyed in one flight due to slivers on the piston/liner. It looked as if someone gouged it with a dremmel tool. The one sliver welded to the piston and locked it. As far as clean engines, the new O.S.'s that I have taken apart( Gemini, Fx's, Max H, FP's, etc.) have been spotless.

The Aviastar engine has a definite bite to the point that I thought it was hitting the head. The .1mm shim comes separate from the engine. The cylinder liner is very VERY thin which leads me to a fear of running the engine lean by accident. The chrome or nickel might strip. The head shim is huge (thick) and has a squish band that has a slight taper to the center approx. 1/16. It reminded me of the Foxes .36 Combat Specials. The main combustion chamber is ~ 3/8 in. in diameter (eye balling) The edges of the squish were extremely sharp. This can produce unpredictable detonation timing so I rounded the edges of the chamber for a better surface exposure and predictability. No "o" ring for the venturi was provided an a ring was installed. Needle valve was very hard to insert after that but manage to press the venturi down on the intake manifold to install. Very impressed with the valve. Mica gaskets were on the needle to seal the gap which was in very tight tolerance, hence the difficulty on insertion with "O" ring on venturi. Slivers were found on the venturi and crank area. A red mark was present on the Aviastar logo on the crankcase. I do not know if it is true that BDK reworks the Aviastars; hence the red dot. It might explain the slivers of aluminum.
 I never bench run engines as that is not realistic operation. I fly the engines on a test plane set very rich. Engines do not stop and start in flight. The loads on a bench test can not be duplicated as if it were in flight looping down sides, 8's, etc. Perhaps that was necessary in the classic days with steel cylinder/chromed or nickel, etc. With the metalurgy advances in the last 20 years, I find it hardly justifiable.

Will report back when in flight...

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 05:30:04 PM »
There have not been many posts on the Aviastar engines. If so I have missed them on the search application. I just got one .61 C/L from Brodack's to put on an Stiletto 660 from B.R.F.R. I always take new engines completely apart to the bare crankcase with the crank. I never did it until a few years back (Fox combat special ~25years ago) was destroyed in one flight due to slivers on the piston/liner. It looked as if someone gouged it with a dremel tool. The one sliver welded to the piston and locked it. As far as clean engines, the new O.S.'s that I have taken apart( Gemini, Fx's, Max H, FP's, etc.) have been spotless.

The Aviastar engine has a definite bite to the point that I thought it was hitting the head. The .1mm shim comes separate from the engine. The cylinder liner is very VERY thin which leads me to a fear of running the engine lean by accident. The chrome or nickel might strip. The head shim is huge (thick) and has a squish band that has a slight taper to the center approx. 1/16. It reminded me of the Foxes .36 Combat Specials. The main combustion chamber is ~ 3/8 in. in diameter (eye balling) The edges of the squish were extremely sharp. This can produce unpredictable detonation timing so I rounded the edges of the chamber for a better surface exposure and predictability. No "o" ring for the venturi was provided an a ring was installed. Needle valve was very hard to insert after that but manage to press the venturi down on the intake manifold to install. Very impressed with the valve. Mica gaskets were on the needle to seal the gap which was in very tight tolerance, hence the difficulty on insertion with "O" ring on venturi. Slivers were found on the venturi and crank area. A red mark was present on the Aviastar logo on the crankcase. I do not know if it is true that BDK reworks the Aviastars; hence the red dot. It might explain the slivers of aluminum.
 I never bench run engines as that is not realistic operation. I fly the engines on a test plane set very rich. Engines do not stop and start in flight. The loads on a bench test can not be duplicated as if it were in flight looping down sides, 8's, etc. Perhaps that was necessary in the classic days with steel cylinder/chromed or nickel, etc. With the metalurgy advances in the last 20 years, I find it hardly justifiable.

Will report back when in flight...

Well, I flew the engine with the Stiletto 660. 14 oz. later (2 tankfulls), I decided to send the engine back to Brodack's for their inspection. Upon taking the head off again, I can not see any possible interference with the piston. Head on and not tight, there is no "bump". Head tight, "bump".  HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> Now the rod sounds like a lawn mower's when the crank is rotated clockwise and reversed quickly in short strokes. The only thing I can guess at is that the liner gets distorted or hits something at the bottom end. I was in luck when checking the Evolution 60 that I won here, it is a drop in to the Aviastar 60!  Just about an 1/8 of an inch of shorter nose. Will fly the Evo next time I have a chance and report on the engine. The Aviastar with a Zinger 13-5 and a rich 4 would go into a nice 2 when it was pointed up (wing-over). But, I believe that the prop might be a bit too much as I felt the engine load and vibrate the lines for a few seconds and then it would go away.

Will report back.... H^^

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 06:58:59 PM »
Rafeal: You really need to update your break in procedures. Running an ABC or ABN around in a rich 4 stroke was great back in the iron piston days, it will ruin a modern engine. The really need to be bench run in a FAST 4 stroke with occassional trips into the 2 stroke realm. Most due it 2 minutes at a time then let the engine cool down. This heat treats the internal parts and will result in a a smoother, longer lasting engine. 

As far as taking it completely apart before running, I vote NO. I'll remove the back plate and blow out the engine with compressed air but completely apart...Uh Uh. To me that would negate any warranty that may have been offered by the manufacturer or importer. Your critique of the Aviastar and its issues is somewhat suspect as I don't know if the problems are factory supplied or were caused by the dissassembly. Oh well, you should have better luck with the Evolution, I have found them to be excellent engines.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 07:14:31 PM »
Rafeal: You really need to update your break in procedures. Running an ABC or ABN around in a rich 4 stroke was great back in the iron piston days, it will ruin a modern engine. The really need to be bench run in a FAST 4 stroke with occassional trips into the 2 stroke realm. Most due it 2 minutes at a time then let the engine cool down. This heat treats the internal parts and will result in a a smoother, longer lasting engine. 

As far as taking it completely apart before running, I vote NO. I'll remove the back plate and blow out the engine with compressed air but completely apart...Uh Uh. To me that would negate any warranty that may have been offered by the manufacturer or importer. Your critique of the Aviastar and its issues is somewhat suspect as I don't know if the problems are factory supplied or were caused by the dissassembly.

Second that one, WHY would you take a brand new engine apart in the year 2011?  Yes, back in the Fox days, it might have made sense, but not any more.

Brett

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 10:21:36 PM »
  Second that one, WHY would you take a brand new engine apart in the year 2011?  Yes, back in the Fox days, it might have made sense, but not any more.

Brett

Brett,
First of all, I've found metal slivers, cloth, shipping foam, gasket, missing head shim, wrong glow plug, missing "o" rings, etc. on YS, OS Ultimate Surpass 70, K&B 40-5.8-6.5-S40, ST. 35's, Foxes, Moki 2.10-1.8, 3W 120 twin to name a few NEW out of the box engines. Unless we can guarantee that a new engine will be spotless inside, it is a good practice to do the inspection. Had a friend buy an OS. 5 cyl. and he discovered a huge sliver on the carb. He took the back cover off and found more slivers on the fuel impeller. Now, in 2011 90-95% of engines are made in China as is everything else. Perhaps on the more sophisticated and expensive motors it is not necessary.  In my opinion, I believe that the quality control is less now than it was then and it  warrants more scrutiny. On another clarification, The Aviastar is not a true ABC engine. The liner is a special CR alloy steel. If we can not take an engine apart, how do we add a shim to the head button as supplied by the Aviastar 60?

Pete,
Yes, an ABC needs to be run at a quick 4 cycle going to 2 reaching normal operating temp. Normal to me, is flying loading the engine and unloading (up and down, level, etc.) not on the Bench. While the breaking in of an engine varies with personal preference, I've never had any failures with my process. Also, I believe that most in here are capable of disassembling an engine without damage. H^^
Thank you for your input.

Regards!

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 09:37:56 AM »
Brett,
First of all, I've found metal slivers, cloth, shipping foam, gasket, missing head shim, wrong glow plug, missing "o" rings, etc. on YS, OS Ultimate Surpass 70, K&B 40-5.8-6.5-S40, ST. 35's, Foxes, Moki 2.10-1.8, 3W 120 twin to name a few NEW out of the box engines. Unless we can guarantee that a new engine will be spotless inside, it is a good practice to do the inspection.

OK, if you feel you must,  but then you can't too surprised when it doesn't run properly.

Brett

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 10:50:28 AM »

As far as taking it completely apart before running, I vote NO. I'll remove the back plate and blow out the engine with compressed air but completely apart...Uh Uh. To me that would negate any warranty that may have been offered by the manufacturer or importer. Your critique of the Aviastar and its issues is somewhat suspect as I don't know if the problems are factory supplied or were caused by the dissassembly. Oh well, you should have better luck with the Evolution, I have found them to be excellent engines.  8)

I suppose then all the people who sell new reworked engines should include a Warraty Void statement?

I can see his point though, if some metal filings were accidentally left inside the engine during the manufacturing or assembly process it could cause serious damage. Especially if they got into bearings. Which is why you should really run in a new engine on the bench. Sticking a brand new un run engine directly into a model is risky business. If such junk gets into the bearings or another critical spot of the motor, you risk loosing the model as well as engine.

Take a new motor completely apart? I'll pass as I've yet to be able to get a motor apart without tearing the crankcase gaskets. Other than pulling the back plate off to replace that POS plastic unit on LA engines its best to leave well enough alone.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 07:56:33 PM »
This has evolved into any interesting sideline - that of Q.C. of model engines.

I have had it put to me by an engine designer and builder that more damage is done by initial disassembly than just running it as it comes from the factory but he is an absolute fanatic with cleanliness, and more importantly the engines in question really do need specialist knowledge to reassemble - things like torque settings, shimming etc.

But I highly doubt that a generic design like an Aviastar will ever need any type of specialist knowledge for a repair or rebuild, so there should not be any run 'surprise' in store for any competent builder and flier.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 04:42:53 AM »
I've got an Aviastar .46. Only bench run at this stage. I am unsure about it now I've compared to my other engines. My Stalker .51 would eat it and I think my OS .40FP-s may even have more power. Maybe it will prove itself once in a plane. Low RPM with a higher pith prop perhaps.
NZL7396

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »
I had a brand new OS LA 46 arrive this morning (despite my criticism of them, they are a good stunt engine!). Idley turned it over and looked in the exhaust port. There were foreign bodies visible on top of the piston. I hooked them out and found they were aluminium swarf.
  I think a look through the exhaust port and removal of the backplate is good practice. I was shocked at what I found. OS QC may be good, but there is always a chance of this happening.

Andrew
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Daniel_Munro

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 12:00:40 AM »
I had a brand new OS LA 46 arrive this morning (despite my criticism of them, they are a good stunt engine!). Idley turned it over and looked in the exhaust port. There were foreign bodies visible on top of the piston. I hooked them out and found they were aluminium swarf.
  I think a look through the exhaust port and removal of the backplate is good practice. I was shocked at what I found. OS QC may be good, but there is always a chance of this happening.

Andrew

Same thing with my Aviastar. Was chock full of guff and I was glad I checked before turning it over.
NZL7396

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here