News:

• May 06, 2024, 11:15:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are these good engines  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Rotten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Are these good engines
« on: December 06, 2007, 03:42:01 PM »
What do you guys think of these engines: 1 st one is an old ST 15 never run in the box 2nd is a ST g21 40 rc never run in the box and the 3 rd is a Torpedo 40 never run

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Are these good engines
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 03:46:16 PM »
I'm sure they are fine engines, depending on the application. The rear induction engines could be interesting ... for a speed plane anyway.  :)
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 09:37:02 PM »
I ran the ST G.15 in A speed in the middle '60's. Nice engines, quite fast (if setup right) for the day. The K&B is the same model ('67, I think, wedge head from casting) I pitted in Rat. It'd go 134 with a trimmed 9-8 Tornado nylon and 40%, otherwise stock. It started so good that we didn't need to practise much. My pilot flew Navy Carrier, and could put the plane down in the right place. I ran the ST .29rv in B and B Proto, but it was a lapped, flat topped piston, while that .40 you have should be a baffled piston, probably ringed. I'd expect the ST would be on par with the K&B, but last longer. We had to replace the piston/ring/rod/cylinder every winter on the K&B.
There is a move afoot for a Vintage FAI FF class...'60's F1C's would be great fun...for that G.15...if you have a place to fly them. D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 05:56:54 AM »
I also ran the Tigre 15 and 29 in CL Speed in the sixties. I still have my Speedmaster handle, magnesium pans, and the spinner from my last ST 15.  :##

That G-21 40 is a first generation RC Pylon engine, similar to the engine I ran for a season in my first Lil Toni. Great museum piece.

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 09:22:20 AM »
AS has been said they all are fine engnies, not suitable for stunt, only "going fast!" ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Leonard Rennick

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 10:06:31 AM »
They are also good for some good money on the bay. The ST 15 will bring the most, then The ST 40 and last would be the K&B 40.

Leonard
Leonard Rennick AMA 865846

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 10:59:42 AM »
Actually they're pretty useless, just pack them up and send them to me, I'll be sure to take good car of them!!!!!!!!! LL~

Really, they were the best of the best when new.  Progress has made them collector's items, put them on the bay you will probably get a surprise what they will go for.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 02:24:06 PM »
What do you guys think of these engines: 1 st one is an old ST 15 never run in the box 2nd is a ST g21 40 rc never run in the box and the 3 rd is a Torpedo 40 never run

Hi

I see a tremendous amount  of rust and corrosion on these motors,  You may want to peek inside and check them out for rusred parts and bearing.
The last one K&B..looks like one I got in here that had been cleaned with Dawn Power Dissovle.  I was clean on the outside but had massive corrosion and rust on the inside and all other parts that were covered

Regards
Randy

Offline Rotten

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 02:33:35 PM »
The only rust that I can see is on the needles of the ST 15 and the Torpedo, all the internal parts are RUST FREE and in PERFECT working order. The Torpedo has a little patina on the outside of the crankcase but everything else is pristine. Randy did you get my message about the 60? What do you think?

Thanks, John

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here